IGNORED

Chaotic DAW

wahrk

From here:

The basic purpose of Chaotic is to be handy music composing tool, allowing to achieve complex results with minimal interface losses. Currently, the main program features are:

• Universal composition arranger, utilizing keyboard input and allowing to sequence wide variety of elements — from text notes and bookmarks to instruments' notes, automation envelopes and patterns in a single field;
  • Three different pattern types: pianoroll, step sequencer and text pattern with ability to convert between types;
  • Automation of any available parameter with envelopes, automation recording;
  • Various effect symbols support: slide, vibrato, mute, reverse (for samples), transpose and so on;
  • Autopatterns feature. Autopattern is the pattern, that you can define for any instrument to be triggered with every note of the instrument. For example, you can place some envelope into some instrument's autopattern and easily implement sidechaining;
  • Support for samples as usual instruments — basic sampler functionality integrated (looping, volume envelope, etc);
  • Mixer with 32 independent channels + 3 send channels + 1 master channel;
  • VST instruments and VST effects support;
  • Built-in subtractive FM/RM synthesizer, 13 built-in DSP effects;
  • Rendering into WAV, OGG Vorbis and FLAC formats;
  • Primary use of linear sliders, instead of knobs, for adjusting various parameters;
  • Lightweight and transportable installation. You can even copy the whole program directory to a flash drive and work from this flash drive on any machine you want;
  • No loading time.

There were also plans to implement a tracker pattern type as well. :)

I wonder if the rapid progress of Reaper killed development as it has all the features (and more) and at the time was about the same install size (and is only 4mb bigger on the latest builds)

I wonder if the rapid progress of Reaper killed development as it has all the features (and more) and at the time was about the same install size (and is only 4mb bigger on the latest builds)

I doubt it. This program's way different from REAPER.

The free download, though the text hasn't been updated, is actually the fully featured version. Just snag it from the download page and check out the tutorial projects. They really help show this DAW's uniqueness.

Guest benderillo

Hi,

Is anybody here interested in continuing development of this product?

I know the author of this software so I can help you to contact him and discuss details.

Hi,

Is anybody here interested in continuing development of this product?

I know the author of this software so I can help you to contact him and discuss details.

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo motherfuckers. This shit's open source now.

Check it out.

According to Denis:

I recommend that you have installed Microsoft Visual C++ (I actually used 2005 Express edition) and some good source editor (we used Source Insight). Besides that, I'd strongly recommend you to get used to Juce library (www.rawmaterialsoftware.com), since all our audio and graphic output is based on it.

Actually, I don't like very much Juce graphic capabilities, since its speed is a bit far from perfect, and I'd prefer to change the graphic output engine completely. But currently it's all Juce-based so you'd better acquaint yourself with it.

That's cool! An open source DAW is a great idea. I'd love for that to take off. :) Are you a developer actually?

I agree! I've been out of the software development game for years, but I plan on trying to dig back in with this project if I can.

Guest benderillo

Yeah, the project sources are pretty messy =). Even I am not gonna be able to tell you for sure what is that or this piece of code there, though I was involved in development of this app.

But, don't loose your hope. Dennis is going to prepare some basic explanations regarding the software design decisions behind the source code. This will make things more clear.

Also, he is gonna prepare some summary of various features and improvements, requested by users when chaotic forum was yet alive.

Sweet. If I can manage to get back up to speed with my coding and get into it, I'm gonna be going after the tracker patterns as soon as possible.

Archived