IGNORED

Black Box: One Year On

Dragon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this gubbins about BoC desperatly trying to distance them from all the mysterious stuff as Joyrex reckons, is nonsense. That or either Warp won't let them.

They don't communicate one word, instead post a black box on the website and let it fester. C'mon, how is that not playing mysterious mind-games with fans?

At this point I'm still leaning towards the notion that it is Warp's marketing department. I doubt very much that Boards of Canada themselves would have anything at all to do with the online presence and marketing of their stuff.

Guest sirch

trying to find something positive to say about BoC, Warp, and threads like this is hard...

but, i like their old stuff!...? :)

why would you need this confirmed?

Peter Serafinowicz playing Happy Cycling on a radio show bears absolutely no relevance to anything, other than the fact that Peter likes Boards of Canada.

Who gives a fuck if he did or didn't? Why do you care? If you think that his playing of a bonus track from a reissue of their first Warp release actually means something, you're as bad as the lot on twoism.

Just interesting to know he wouldn't mention a new album, or give any extra info.

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation, digger. Just to let everyone know, it is indeed the unreleased Peel Session version (not the album version).

Guest saakki

If I was Mike or Marcus and I should stumble upon these conversations and speculations considering my life, I think I would split in two halves and create a new universe.

& why this thread should be closed ? Its a boards of canada subforum. so there is thread about shit & movie titles in Watmm but NOT on Boards of Canada's silence ? If so, that would be the most insane policy of the forum.

All this gubbins about BoC desperatly trying to distance them from all the mysterious stuff as Joyrex reckons, is nonsense. That or either Warp won't let them.

They don't communicate one word, instead post a black box on the website and let it fester. C'mon, how is that not playing mysterious mind-games with fans?

First of all, WARP does not manage/control music70.com, nor boardsofcanada.com - they are controlled by the band. Secondly, WARP has always had a 'hands off' approach to it's artists, and probably moreso with the elder statesmen of the label - I highly doubt they pressured Richard to release DrukQs (now, Warner Music, that's another story), and same goes with Autechre, Plaid (bit of a break between releases there as well, eh?), and Squarepusher. If there was a delay in the album's release, WARP are probably aware of why, and to them BoC will deliver it when they want to release it.

At this point I'm still leaning towards the notion that it is Warp's marketing department. I doubt very much that Boards of Canada themselves would have anything at all to do with the online presence and marketing of their stuff.

You're right about Boards not having anything to do with the marketing side of things, but I highly doubt WARP is drumming up any hype for an album they have yet to officially mention themselves.

Back at the warp 20 party in berlin Steve Beckett told me about aphex to come out before boc. Aphex hasn't happen yet

I am quite confident that WARP doesn't plan that far ahead, and he probably expected (at the time) for Richard to put something out before BoC (either because at the time he had an idea of when BoC was planning on releasing something versus Richard, or vice-versa). Also, Richard is notorious for dropping hints about new albums, and years pass before anything materializes.

I think at this point, if any information is forthcoming, it will be fast, and unexpected - it won't be a slow crawl to the finish line for these releases.

The old model - the one where you sent out promos to people months in advance of release date who then proceeded to leak it all over the damned place - should be considered either dead or at least dumb. I hope artists like BoC and AFX and labels like Warp have learned from the past and do a lightning fast blitzkrieg release of their new albums so they can go back to doing whatever it is they do. I haven't been watching new releases from Warp much lately but it seems Rephlex is at least on this page, going so far as even intentional obscurity. Who needs promotion in this day and age anyways; a single image on a website (containing no information whatsoever) had/has people frothing at the mouth for a new release more than a 1000 radio dj's could ever dream of.

Not sure if the black box is about 'drumming up hype'. I think WARP are more than aware that there is a chunk of the fanbase who are getting exasperated with the no news syndrome. It was put there so those fans feel like they have been thrown a bone, a wink, a thumbs up, or whatever you want to call it. So it was a peacemaker. But I don't think anyone thought it would be another year of silence!! Lol. Those pesky hippies.

How do you know this?

I'm assuming that was directed towards me...?

Not sure if the black box is about 'drumming up hype'. I think WARP are more than aware that there is a chunk of the fanbase who are getting exasperated with the no news syndrome. It was put there so those fans feel like they have been thrown a bone, a wink, a thumbs up, or whatever you want to call it. So it was a peacemaker. But I don't think anyone thought it would be another year of silence!! Lol. Those pesky hippies.

I have a feeling the square was added in anticipation of an announcement, but whatever scuppered those plans has yet to be said, if it ever will be said. I've been told what probably caused a delay a few years back, but since then I have no idea what's been holding up the release, if anything has been holding it up - this might have been all part of the plan to begin with.

No doubt they will do the odd interview when the album is released. It will be interesting to find out all the reasons behinds the delays/radio silence/black box etc

No doubt they will do the odd interview when the album is released. It will be interesting to find out all the reasons behinds the delays/radio silence/black box etc

I'd frankly be surprised if the hiatus is referred to anything more than that - a hiatus. I'm sure 'long-awaited' will be bandied about as well.

Archived