Black Box: One Year On

Dragon

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sirch

I've been told what probably caused a delay a few years back,

what was that?

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo way, is Joyrex doing an oscillik?????? :emotawesomepm9:

i hear its a triple album not double

Richard and BoC are lost in creative over perfection / melancholy.

whats your avatar image? very good

Thanks I made it from a bunch of my drawings

i can't sleep on the black box

http://boomkat.com/vinyl/389987-kryptic-minds-can-t-sleep

i hear its a triple album not double

Richard and BoC are lost in creative over perfection / melancholy.

whats your avatar image? very good

Thanks I made it from a bunch of my drawings

wow man theyre good, reminds me of Seb Jarnot, good reference

what was that?

From what I've heard (and it's been long enough that I don't think it matters at this point), their hdd containing most of the tracks for the new release died and they lost a significant amount of it (hard to think they would not have backups, etc.). I cannot verify whether this is the case or not, but at the time I was told, it made sense. I could understand too how gutted Mike and Marcus could have been, and how difficult it would have been to recreate tracks they laboured months, possibly years on.

Mind you, take that with a grain of salt - it would be nice if that was confirmed or denied, and I have reason to trust what I was told was indeed what happened. Why it wasn't announced is beyond me - personal pride, embarrassment, legal reasons... who knows.

one more reason, and strong one, to release old stuff in the meantime

You'd think that, but I feel BoC are more concerned about putting out the music they want us to hear, not necessarily the music we'd like to hear (or think we'd like to hear - I know some people were very disappointed by the Old Tunes, and understood why most of it was never commercially released). I don't think BoC were ever concerned about releasing anything, but releasing what they were proud of, and what they wanted to be representative of their work.

I'd also add that it's not like they have ready-to-release tracks lying about... I'm sure there is a fair amount of mastering, rights issues, paperwork and the like to release anything if they expect to make any sort of profit from doing so.

Guest ruiagnelo

one more reason, and strong one, to release old stuff in the meantime

You'd think that, but I feel BoC are more concerned about putting out the music they want us to hear, not necessarily the music we'd like to hear (or think we'd like to hear - I know some people were very disappointed by the Old Tunes, and understood why most of it was never commercially released). I don't think BoC were ever concerned about releasing anything, but releasing what they were proud of, and what they wanted to be representative of their work.

i am one of those disappointed by the Old Tunes. In fact, everything unreleased is pretty much weak compared to what they have actually released. but the Old Tunes also sound like sketches and ideas. what i really was talking about is more like finished tracks that never got to see the daylight.

edit: but i do agree they are more interested in releasing what they think should be heard by people. i am glad they think this way and so far it has worked perfectly. BoC are probably my favorite musicians of all time

Guest Gravity

what was that?

From what I've heard (and it's been long enough that I don't think it matters at this point), their hdd containing most of the tracks for the new release died and they lost a significant amount of it (hard to think they would not have backups, etc.). I cannot verify whether this is the case or not, but at the time I was told, it made sense. I could understand too how gutted Mike and Marcus could have been, and how difficult it would have been to recreate tracks they laboured months, possibly years on.

Mind you, take that with a grain of salt - it would be nice if that was confirmed or denied, and I have reason to trust what I was told was indeed what happened. Why it wasn't announced is beyond me - personal pride, embarrassment, legal reasons... who knows.

Damn... that's fucking horrible. Could have been some of their best work, too. Fuck. I would be beyond gutted if that happened to me.

Really hope it's somehow not true, but it would definitely explain a lot.

Guest cult fiction

So they both work off one single HDD? Do they sit next to each other, one driving the mouse and the other driving the keyboard? If it's actually true that has interesting implications for their working method. My assumption would have been they both have computers or laptops in a studio and trade project files and stuff back and forth, not that they are literally using the same computer(taking turns or whatever).

Edit: I missed mdg's post, please ignore my foolish speculation

I thought they recorded everything to tape and mastered it themselves. That lets you know right away that an erased hard drive wouldn't do them in.

Even if MDG didn't show up, people would have ruled it out in like 5 posts.

I would honestly rather know that they're just not saying anything than have an album on a hard drive that dies and loses the whole thing.

Archived