IGNORED

Meatbingo - Cynically For You

Guest Backson

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I've had track 1 in my head all weekend. I tried to get my Dad into this because he really likes the original CSN song and he seemed kind of offended by it because the lyrics are mostly unintelligible. But I think the mushroom bassline and speeding up is a huge improvement. Plus I played it for a couple other electronic-music-literate people who completely didn't get it. This stuff is so good, though. I don't mind being in my own little pleasure bubble with it.

Guest mrgypsum

does anyone know all of the orginal tracks? i think its interesting because these tracks use the originals are instruments, could you actually calls these remixes? i wouldnt

Dunno. I'd love to find out.

I like the CSN track too but this turns it into something with some momentum. I actually think the parts of the lyrics that you can still make out are the best lines in the song anyway.

I don't think I'd call them remixes but I wouldn't be offended if someone called them that. It's all tunes to me.

Guest cult fiction

i think its newly available for download, it was only on soundcloud but not downloadable. btw scrivins material is great as well. he has two LPs and an EP available for free on rackandruinrecords. its good stuff. especially the track natrual power. i would love to see the material on soundcloud for phono ghosts released, and maybe even some new stuff.

Yes, thanks for the reminder:

http://www.rackandruinrecords.com/

I listened to Geek Upmanship over and over back in the day, I think off myspace. Great to hear it again! Only listened briefly to the other two LPs so far but they sound excellent as well.

Guest sirch

just skated in to say...

1. this release sucks

2. "chopped" stuff sucks

3. people like Backson sucks

fixed for directness

it's not that bad!

just not feeling this style anymore.

i think i really rinsed VHS Head when it came out, and now ....... i just find this sorta thang boring.

sorry! :)

Guest sirch

Wow, he makes that one better too! His basslines, drums and slicing/transposition push both of these just over the line into the happy zone.

lol, you do talk a lot of pish, innit. :)

Just calling it as I see it. Keep in mind I am nearsighted and have poor depth perception.

just skated in to say...

1. this release sucks

2. "chopped" stuff sucks

3. people like Backson sucks

fixed for directness

it's not that bad!

just not feeling this style anymore.

i think i really rinsed VHS Head when it came out, and now ....... i just find this sorta thang boring.

sorry! :)

No apology needed. Just was noticing that you were draining as much piss I was injecting.

Guest sirch

i suppose i haven;t given it enough time. i tend to just sitch off with sort of thing now. i don;t hatre it but i just don't love it or find it very interesting anymore!

i was well into VHS Head and the whole idea of that... but, and like people have said before, i prefer the idea of it to the actual sound tracks results, i have come to realise.

all this chop-cut-chop-cut shit , start-stop-start-stop, it gets very samey after a while....... so now it just goes straight over my head.

which is a shame because i once thought this was it, man, the new shit was in town!!!!!!!!!!!!

but i don't want to seem like a hater or that i hate it, cos i don't. i just think it's meh. *unsatisfied face*

I enjoy it. Maybe I just haven't got sick of it yet (shrug) I'll enjoy it while I can.

I really like instrumental hip hop as well, especially Madlib and J-Dilla, and I sort of see this Blackpool stuff and Oizo as a mutation of that aesthetic. Branching off from it without hip-hop's prerequisite funk/soul baggage (though I love that stuff too!) It's refreshing to me and I hope to hear more interesting stuff done with this. Then again, I haven't heard all that much of this kind of thing.

Guest sirch

don't mind me i'm just an arsehole and very hard to please :)

but i don't mean to be, i just am.

i'm always looking for the perfect thing and don't have a lot of time for much stuff inbetween.

that's why i mostly like older stuff. to me most of that is all perfect.

i can appreciate this EP and VHS Head as more of a sound-art piece, rather than 'music' i like to listen to to feel better.

music has to have some sort of emotional resonance with me , and melody... and a sort of structure. otherwise it's just sound-art / noise. which is fine, also... if that's what you're into more than the emotional and expressive side of music.

this is an old EP, right? so this must've sounded pretty fresh and new at the time, ... so, respect to Neil and the VHS boys........

Guest Backson

I can respect you don't enjoy this Sirch, and your reasoning behind that is solid, but I find it annoying that you think this particular chopped up style is overdone.

I search long and hard for stuff that sounds exactly like this, and believe me its far from overdone. I can only think of a handful of decent releases in this style.

If you honestly think that this sort of sampling and these sort of rhythms are played out after a handful of obscure releases from a couple of artists then, my god, I'd hate to know how you feel about real genres, like those ones that have been going for decades!

I jest, but my point is that the claim that these sounds are old and stale isn't a criticism that applies anywhere outside of your personal opinion. And that's just fine, but for people like me this is a style of music that is both as awesome as it is scarce.

I quite enjoy this cut-up stuff but I do like the more creepy, hauntological stuff that VHS Head and Oneohtrix Point Never put out.

Here's the kind of thing I mean...

Archived