IGNORED

Commercial Drones in Civil Airspace

murve33

i don't understand, what's actually happening in usa and canada that prevents your self realization/career/whatever ?

no one here is talking about careers or self-realization you fucking ponce

well there are definitely some issues...bad vibes, people worrying about police states, right wingers, wanting to leave usa and so..and most of it simply looks hilarious to me, out of proportion and unwarranted, i honestly couldn't stop grinning reading hoodie's posts.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The government knows what it can and can not get away with before there is a public outcry that becomes dangerous to them, and it's not exactly a stretch to see these drones as a preventative measure. What does the public really think? Are too many people getting pissed and protesting? Then don't let the media cover it. Or make them look weak. You probably won't hear much else about these drones, and that's the idea.

Is there a more effective Occupy movement forming? Let's go check it out. Uh oh yeah, let's nip that in the bud before things get too out of hand. *Causes car accident*

i don't understand, what's actually happening in usa and canada that prevents your self realization/career/whatever ?

no one here is talking about careers or self-realization you fucking ponce

well there are definitely some issues...bad vibes, people worrying about police states, right wingers, wanting to leave usa and so..and most of it simply looks hilarious to me, out of proportion and unwarranted, i honestly couldn't stop grinning reading hoodie's posts.

I guess for me personally the idea of entering into a panopticon is quite uncomfortable. I don't really trust anyone to be in a position of extreme power, maybe it corrupts, or maybe it attracts people are susceptible to corruption for the sake of it, those are debatable. What I think is hard to refute is that all people are fallable, we make mistakes frequently and I think nearly everyone makes decisions from time to time that are self serving and potentially harmful to others but at the scale that an 'average' person has influence the consequences of these minor infractions is relatively small. When you operate on a much larger scale of influence, the consequences are far more 'significant'. So my fears mostly stem from the idea that the more advanced the facilities available to the power apparatus, the more seemingly dangerous it becomes.

Really? No one cares about this? Ya'll just think I'm paranoid?

Yea, except the drones will be up and at 'em more than helicopters. Read somewhere that 30,000 is the goal amount to have in the skies.

Here's a link that backs that up. There are a bunch though. http://digitaljourna.../article/319564

I care about this

I think it's totally fucked and unwarranted

wait until a 747 crashes into one in midair or when one of them falls from the sky and takes out a house in bumble screw Ohio...

not sure I really care about drones flying around anyway to be honest. they have much bigger things to be looking for than me sitting by a fire smoking a stoagie after too many beers and crankin some tunes on a summer night in my backyard.

would be a decent intro to a new robocop (i suppose it would confiscate your stuff, extinguish the fire, and tell you to go inside and fine you a years wages..or shoot you. i dunno)

So the same shit they use at war to kill people, is going to be used here at home for what now?

So the same shit they use at war to kill people, is going to be used here at home for what now?

For the same purposes. Because the USA are also a warzone SINCE 9/11 !!!

how so?

it can be painted pink and spread confetti on wedding parties..

it's a remote controlled plane ffs.

Guest Rambo

Cameras will be absolutely everywhere in the future that much is obvious. There's no point being bothered about it because it's a done deal. What is important is how we manage this future where everything is captured. We need to focus on people and governments and their intentions.

No. That's not a truth.

yes it is. See you in about 3-5 years. We'll talk again.

it can be painted pink and spread confetti on wedding parties..

it's a remote controlled plane ffs.

yes, but what are they going to use them for?

Guest theSun

my big issue with widespread drone use for surveillance is that it is not necessary. imagine not only the cost in dollars, but in time and manpower of some of our smartest minds, building these machines for what? is this the best way to spend these resources?

i can see having a few per state/region for various purposes, but all this surveillance and information gathering seems like such a fucking waste of time and money. fuck people. i'm moving away from the city.

Guest Rambo

No. That's not a truth. Stop resigning about everything, do something about it. You really want to give the power of judgement into a machine? Do you want to be surveilled 24/7 ? Jesus christ

Sorry, was in brief reply mode earlier. Firstly i'm not just talking about the surveillance technology of governments and of corporations. Everyone will have portable cameras on their phones/AR glasses. Soon everyone will be able to record their point of view continuously if they wanted and many/most will. Tiny high quality cameras will be ridiculously cheap and so will storing all the footage captured by them 24/7.

On your second point i'd much rather be surveilled by a machine than a human as long as people understood how it had been programmed.

how so?

I think Eugene is taking the piss, but there was this thing http://forum.watmm.com/topic/70300-us-senate-declares-the-entire-usa-to-be-a-battleground/

According to wikipedia, it passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Defense_Authorization_Act_for_Fiscal_Year_2012

not at all, but i do think that this panic-y sentiment is a bit funny.

there was a thread, quite a while ago, when bush was about to have some operation which would make cheney an acting president for a day, and people were seriously freaking out ! i remember for sure that someone even wanted to flee to canada.

if watmm was properly maintained and archived it would be fun to go through those kind of threads by gb3 and co circa 2004-5, but alas..

I know that we're talking about the States rather than England, but there's already a huge CC-TV network in the latter of the two, and while it's really pervasive and wild, how much worse has society become as a direct result.

Really, worst case scenario is I won't be able to get a handjob in the park, but that hasn't happened yet anyway so no big loss.

edit: and I don't mean to suggest it's a GOOD thing, just not a "move out of the country"-level bad thing.

the concept of the chilling effect surveillance has on society is undeniable. arguments about what you will and will not be able to do once this grid is in place are missing the point of what this does to our psyche incrementally as a society

i think everybody who dismisses the importance of privacy and doesn't think its a problem that our surveillance society is just getting worse needs to watch this immediately

i'd absolutely be thrilled to see anybody in this thread who are basically saying 'not a big deal' to watch this and argue with any of Turley's (near bullet proof) assertions.

Rambo - I expect you to have a row of these hanging on your wash line having shot them down when they fly over your airspace. Nobody surveils John Rambo!

Archived