Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

VI Scose Poise

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 auxien

auxien

i be readin the rules, be needin the rules, u succeedin? rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • 48 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/tsrono
  • PSN:auxien

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

this is one of the few tracks on confield that really really clicks with me

no other confield tracks click with you? really? reaaaally??

did i say the only? pen expers, parhelic triangle and vi scose are great, cfern and sim geshel are good fun, but the rest is a little mehtechre

those (along with Lentic) are my favorites on that album...and the album is great as a whole, but the other tracks didn't seem to stand up so well on their own. Uviol just clicked with me recently...was listening to it loudly and it just kind of made sense finally. i think Bine will just always be nuts, and Eidetic will always be a bit goofy.

VI Scose though.....damn.

#27 Guest_theSun_*

Guest_theSun_*
  • Guests
  • 69 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

this is one of the few tracks on confield that really really clicks with me

HA

haynow

oh I thought you were making a joke cause the track is like all clicks.

i don't think my mind is capable of so called "double meanings".

fml :(

#28 Bubba69

Bubba69

2K, On My Way

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts
  • 110 topics
  • Joined 25-November 05
  • PSN:wetpaste

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

cfern. how come nobody else thinks it is the best autechre track. That track like, transcends time man.

#29 dr lopez

dr lopez

i did it for the general banterness of the act

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 06-April 08
  • Interests:Riven
  • PSN:conlon_nancarrow

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:27 PM

cfern. how come nobody else thinks it is the best autechre track. That track like, transcends time man.

yeah it's a work of genius that I feel can really be read and understood in a lens of classical experimental composition

#30 Joseph

Joseph

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • 10 topics
  • Joined 24-January 11
  • Interests:Mindfuck

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

what's the point?

#31 t yst r

t yst r

Mew Nember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 02-August 11

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:34 PM

Been wondering about this for quite a while...

I suppose those are gamelans used here and in Parhelic Triangle. Squarepusher used gamelan instruments he brought from Asia on Gong Acid around the same time. Could it be possible that they used his gamelan instruments to make these tracks?

A collab between them using these instruments is mentioned in an interview from 1999 https://forum.watmm....pusher-gamelan/

#32 NI64

NI64

1000 Club

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • 48 topics
  • Joined 27-March 07

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

Damn, I forgot I made that topic! 7 years ago, wow.

I played in a gamelan for a few years in college, really is a ton of fun to be involved in. Very hypnotic and relaxing. The acoustics are the best when youre sitting in the middle of it all too.

#33 auxien

auxien

i be readin the rules, be needin the rules, u succeedin? rules.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,745 posts
  • 34 topics
  • Joined 09-April 08
  • SoundCloud URL:soundcloud.com/tsrono
  • PSN:auxien

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:08 PM

^^ Very cool note on SP mentioning Autechre as part of his gamelan band, lol, and an interesting idea that they may've sampled some for VI Scose and maybe Parhelic. Wish we had an open AAA thread they could answer little questions like this about... ahem, Sean, pls?

And playing a gamelan would be pretty amazing I imagine. My percussion skills are weak though so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to sit in and learn something awesome like that

#34 NI64

NI64

1000 Club

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts
  • Joined 27-March 07

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Yeah Ive always been a string player so it was totally new to me. The beautiful thing about gamelan though is that the individual parts are all very simple ; it's the way they all interconnect that makes it sound complex. It really is a very open and inclusive type of music! Provided you know somewhere that has all the instruments I suppose.

For what it's worth Gong Acid pretty closely mimics the structure and movement of traditional gamelan, while taking a few improvisational liberties. He also substituted out some of the instruments for other pot/pan/gong sounding things. But it's clear he had a basic understanding of the theory. Mustve been quite into it at the time