IGNORED

VI Scose Poise

sweepstakes

this is one of the few tracks on confield that really really clicks with me

no other confield tracks click with you? really? reaaaally??

did i say the only? pen expers, parhelic triangle and vi scose are great, cfern and sim geshel are good fun, but the rest is a little mehtechre

those (along with Lentic) are my favorites on that album...and the album is great as a whole, but the other tracks didn't seem to stand up so well on their own. Uviol just clicked with me recently...was listening to it loudly and it just kind of made sense finally. i think Bine will just always be nuts, and Eidetic will always be a bit goofy.

VI Scose though.....damn.

Guest theSun

this is one of the few tracks on confield that really really clicks with me

HA

haynow

oh I thought you were making a joke cause the track is like all clicks.

i don't think my mind is capable of so called "double meanings".

fml :(

cfern. how come nobody else thinks it is the best autechre track. That track like, transcends time man.

yeah it's a work of genius that I feel can really be read and understood in a lens of classical experimental composition

• 4 years later...

Been wondering about this for quite a while...

I suppose those are gamelans used here and in Parhelic Triangle. Squarepusher used gamelan instruments he brought from Asia on Gong Acid around the same time. Could it be possible that they used his gamelan instruments to make these tracks?

A collab between them using these instruments is mentioned in an interview from 1999 https://forum.watmm.com/topic/58624-squarepusher-gamelan/

Damn, I forgot I made that topic! 7 years ago, wow.

I played in a gamelan for a few years in college, really is a ton of fun to be involved in. Very hypnotic and relaxing. The acoustics are the best when youre sitting in the middle of it all too.

^^ Very cool note on SP mentioning Autechre as part of his gamelan band, lol, and an interesting idea that they may've sampled some for VI Scose and maybe Parhelic. Wish we had an open AAA thread they could answer little questions like this about... ahem, Sean, pls?

And playing a gamelan would be pretty amazing I imagine. My percussion skills are weak though so I doubt I'll ever get a chance to sit in and learn something awesome like that

Yeah Ive always been a string player so it was totally new to me. The beautiful thing about gamelan though is that the individual parts are all very simple ; it's the way they all interconnect that makes it sound complex. It really is a very open and inclusive type of music! Provided you know somewhere that has all the instruments I suppose.

For what it's worth Gong Acid pretty closely mimics the structure and movement of traditional gamelan, while taking a few improvisational liberties. He also substituted out some of the instruments for other pot/pan/gong sounding things. But it's clear he had a basic understanding of the theory. Mustve been quite into it at the time

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Looking back at great tracks like this in a post-NTS/AE_LIVE world always reminds me of how much they've always tended towards similar ideas and sounds and techniques, if often expressed or realized wildly differently. Lovely track with a great (imo underrated) melody and such a great way to open a hell of an album.

Archived