IGNORED

Why no release of old material from WARP?

beerwolf

I read in an old interview that WARP had bought the rights off BOC for all their old material, seeing as WARP someday would like a return on this investment, it seems weird to me that nothing has materialised. It would seem an ideal time to tide us over until something new happens, yet nothing. I remember in the interview one of the Sandisons was asked if it was likely that WARP would do a compilation similar to Plaids Trainer, and he replied yes. This was aeons ago.

So why? Is there some legal BS going on with WARP? It makes no sense why they don't remaster the good stuff and sell it to us. Either this or we are being strung along in some sort of marketing masterplan. I dunno maybe there is beef with WARP after all.

And UNcle MDG. If you come in and say BS. I won't believe you.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that the release of Twoism constitutes as a legitimate Warp re-issue of 'old material', considering that the original self-released Music70 version is highly limited.

They should release some more than only BOC on Warp again. There are so many fantastic releases from the 90ties they should bring out on wax/CD with a remaster.

I wish they would bring at least the first Calix and the Hangable Auto Bulb back and the stock of BOC as well.

I think they will bring out archive tracks after their next 20 years of business. Or they ride on with the fancy guitar sliding bands they have casted the last 8 years.

I believe that the release of Twoism constitutes as a legitimate Warp re-issue of 'old material', considering that the original self-released Music70 version is highly limited.

Mmm yes I guess so. I was thinking stuff like Buckie High etc etc

• 3 weeks later...

It could also be that Warp hasn't been granted the rights to this material.

Edit: Oops. Just reread your post. Ignore this reply.

Guest Dogboy73

Because ............... there is no old material!!! All those supposed early EP's? They don't exist! Someone post a picture of the cover of one to proof me wrong. I dare ya! I double dare ya!! We've never seen tnem! Not so much as a grainy old photo of one.

Because us along with Twoism are a drop in the consumer bucket. I doubt there are tons of people out there just waaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiting for the old BOC tracks to come out other than us. The average BOC fan probably doesn't even know they have that suspected back-catalogue. Warp might be sitting on a potential gold mine, but if they all of a sudden released BOC's old material, not a lot of people would buy it in comparison to those that would buy a new Grizzly Bear or Battles album.

They need a new album to build hype (Electronic music is hip right now) and then release the old shit. The masses aren't gonna buy some Electronic Band's back-catalogue when they haven't even been in the hip scene for a while. Warp is all about the masses these days.

/rant based off of my baseless speculations

Guest Ron Manager

Because ............... there is no old material!!! All those supposed early EP's? They don't exist! Someone post a picture of the cover of one to proof me wrong. I dare ya! I double dare ya!! We've never seen tnem! Not so much as a grainy old photo of one.

I agree with this. I think it's inconceivable that no pictures or anything have ever surfaced, especially for the ones which allegedly circulated with 100 or 200 copies... after all this time, SOMEONE would have revealed a little picture, as in the case of the Old Tunes cassettes, or we'd have more of a leak than the odd 40 second sample from their website (what's the evidence that these are even the tracks they're labeled as?).

They probably exist as recordings, but I think they had pretty much 0 circulation.

The old releases don't exist - at least not in the formats presented on the old EHX BoC site. Twoism was the band's first physical release on vinyl (I have yet to see proof a (non-DIY) cassette version exists) - that image on bocpages.org is not from a cassette j-card but a sticker that was on the Twoism original vinyl release, as well as the vinyl reissue (albeit edited). There's a reason the catalogue number was BOARD1. The only pre-Twoism release that actually exists (although as a DIY effort) is BoC Maxima, which was their demo tape they shopped around to labels.

My personal belief is these releases were concocted to add to the band's "back story" and "mythology", and once it got out of hand with all the requests for info and to release them, they removed them, hoping in time they'd be forgotten.

And I agree that a physical release would be a risky venture for WARP to put money into, but there's no reason a digital release wouldn't pay dividends.

even if they just rerelease hi scores and twoism again, i need to pick up those vinyls..

This.

but also,

the plural of vinyl, is vinyl.

its my problem not yours, sorry. I'm incredibly ocd about shit like that...

even if they just rerelease hi scores and twoism again, i need to pick up those vinyls..

Twoism and Hi Scores (which has been repressed 3-4 times now) should be easy to come by...

My personal belief is these releases were concocted to add to the band's "back story" and "mythology", and once it got out of hand with all the requests for info and to release them, they removed them, hoping in time they'd be forgotten.

Either way, old tracks exist. The three samples (Wouldn't you like to be free, Circle, Duffy) are proof of that. Whether they were on their respective albums or whether they were physically released are not issues. Those three tracks at a minimum exist.

Although I feel like I read somewhere once that BOC was surprised Acid Memories wasn't leaked, but they could have just been fucking with everyone.

They need a new album to build hype (Electronic music is hip right now)

I was gonna say that BoC is like the polar opposite of the aggropop basswob stuff that is hip these days, but then I remember that Chillwave stuff that's popular with Indie kids these days. I've never actually looked up what Chillwave is but based on the name I'm assuming it's like tape wobbles & pads & echoy guitars & slow beats & lots of reverb

They need a new album to build hype (Electronic music is hip right now)

I was gonna say that BoC is like the polar opposite of the aggropop basswob stuff that is hip these days, but then I remember that Chillwave stuff that's popular with Indie kids these days. I've never actually looked up what Chillwave is but based on the name I'm assuming it's like tape wobbles & pads & echoy guitars & slow beats & lots of reverb

You guessed right. Yeah, I think BoC inspired a lot of what is called chillwave, directly or not. A select few chillwavers are pretty good.

Either way, old tracks exist. The three samples (Wouldn't you like to be free, Circle, Duffy) are proof of that. Whether they were on their respective albums or whether they were physically released are not issues. Those three tracks at a minimum exist.

Although I feel like I read somewhere once that BOC was surprised Acid Memories wasn't leaked, but they could have just been fucking with everyone.

Oh, certainly - it's not as if they made those sound snippets just for purposes of shoring up the existence of those releases - sorry if I implied that. I know that BoC have loads of unreleased material, as most electronic artists seem to (Richard is another good example of this).

What do original copies of Twoism go for at this point?

Well, it all depends on what someone's willing to pay, but just before Twoism was reissued, it was going for near 600-800USD. There's very few physical copies left.

Here's another classic example of a track that should bless us in high quality. Mindblowing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDAglAOcqy8&feature=related

Agreed - one of my favourite live tracks of theirs.

Archived