IGNORED

Insomnia

essines

So I hardly sleep anymore. I always had trouble sleeping. Now i'm lucky to get an hour of sleep here and there, even after working 12 hours or a full 48 hour tour in 4 days. I am curious as to how long i can keep this up. Today I can't much find the effort to go visit my sister, which i intended to and was looking forward to. But I'm so exhausted I can't sleep either. The sleep comes in waves but I cant recall the last time i got more than, or even, 4 hours sleep in one sitting. wtf.

anyone else deal with this shit? I think it's going to kill me.

discuss.

also, i should add, i've never liked sleeping. It always felt like i was wasting time and could be doing something better, but now, feeling like this, i'm just as useless as if i were actually asleep.

Guest moonchild

Try melatonin and valerian root together. I've never been a good sleeper but th ese together let me get at least 6 hours which is my minimum for thinking straight required sleeping. Try 5ml melatonin first because it sounds like you are having a really hard time. Also once it makes you drowsy do not fight it but go right to sleep. you can easily push through the effects and then it's harder to go to sleep.

I have tried both. they both give me hangovers worse than when i drink myself into unconciousness. i have found pot may help. i am doing my best not to turn to prescription drugs.

though i've never tried them together. maybe ill do that tonight.

it is then good that over the last year i have found i can enjoy pot. ill try this out. i wonder if i could get a script for it.

not that i actually need to. but..

Guest moonchild

Prescriptions can really alter you so be careful. I've had sweet little old ladies turn into raving bitch sluts on ambien so be careful ok?

Guest Abstract Daddy

Keep awake until you feel completely knackered (I'm tempted to say about 5 days) and fight sleep until about 8 or 9 at night. You'll end up waking up early and feeling tired around "normal" times like 10 and 11 at night. This is only if you are trying to get back into a 9 to 5 working pattern though, just stay awake until your eyes are tearing up uncontrollably.

But really everybody else is right a nice fat joint will do it or heroin.

Guest Teribal Felafal

I have the same problem. For the past 2 weeks I haven't had much as a moment of sleep, it's super frustrating when I have a job and need to meet expectations. I can barely balance on my two feet anymore. I won't take anything for it though, drowsiness is a common thing for me. I've tried mindfulness meditation techniques before and in bed but that proves useless. I feel like my world is slowly tearing apart. THE END IS NIGH.

Prescriptions can really alter you so be careful. I've had sweet little old ladies turn into raving bitch sluts on ambien so be careful ok?

i am avoiding prescription sleep aids. i just wonder if, in my hippie part of bc, i could get a prescription for marijuana.

so why can't you just get back to sleep after waking up

you fucking tell me. this is the problem i am addressing, so this seems like a completely redundant question.

so why can't you just get back to sleep after waking up

you fucking tell me. this is the problem i am addressing, so this seems like a completely redundant question.

shit son, i've been (am) there and i'm still not sleeping alright. just hoping to get some hints here.

I have a full blown case of insomnia as well. Haven't quite figured out how to resolve it yet but I find going to bed an hour earlier and listening to some ambient music helps silence the mind. I recommend Pulse Emitter's Meditative Music series. Especially the first two parts. You can get a free pay what you want download over here

I have a full blown case of insomnia as well. Haven't quite figured out how to resolve it yet but I find going to bed an hour earlier and listening to some ambient music helps silence the mind. I recommend Pulse Emitter's Meditative Music series. Especially the first two parts. You can get a free pay what you want download over here

there is no such thing as going to bed an hour earlier as there is no hour at which i can base going to bed earlier to. my schedule makes no sense and i have no sleep routine. ambient music does nothing. but thank you for the link!

my schedule makes no sense and i have no sleep routine.

You might have your answer right there. I was reading up on insomnia earlier after reading your thread and not having a stabile sleep routine will fuck you up. Stay off the booze, don't drink coffee after 5 pm, and go to bed (even if you're not tired) at the same time every night. Once in bed read a book. Reading makes me tired almost instantly.

Sleep problems is a complex issue and it's hard to figure out all the personal reasons that contribute to your sleeping problems, but I'd rather have you start in that angle than treat the symptoms with drugs of any kind.

With that said, it is almost ludicrous to expect a good nights sleep when your mind is conditioned by hectic modern living and myriads of distractions. Try some meditation, yoga, zen or mindfulness, whatever simple wholesome method that calms you down for a while and puts a brake on that runaway, constantly active, train of thought. Someone said they tried meditation but it didn't work, it is really hard at first because it's almost too simple. Just stop, count your breaths and faze out that mind chatter, not by doing anything about it, just letting go of control for a while. It is only boring or futile when you cling to the idea that there's such a thing as boring or futile. You can't stop the mind doing its thing, but you can stop clinging to the thoughts it makes and that makes the difference.

My sleeping problems come from a long time of bad priorities and while I'm trying my best to correct it, it's not something that I can fix over a night, but it sure helps to be able to stop the incessant panicky mind-racing for a while. I have been practicing zen meditation as a last resort over the last 6 months, because nothing and I mean nothing else worked out well. Prescription drugs did nothing of value and weed just fucked me up. Anyway, it has really exceeded my wildest expectations. Though I must warn you that if you're consistent, eventually you realize it's pointless to do any attempt at controlling things by thinking at all, so it becomes addicting to be in that calm and you need absolutely nothing to be able to do it.

Anyway, good luck and godspeed whichever way you go, this type of problem is one of the worst scourges on the modern human.

Guest moonchild

He works night shifts though. There it's always diphenhydramine which is cheap and effective for most. I also love roger eno for sleeping too. Also if you pick up some very mild kids movies you can train yourself to fall asleep to them. I like the never ending story, milo and otis, and the many adventures of winnie the pooh, amongst others...

it sure helps to be able to stop the incessant panicky mind-racing for a while. I have been practicing zen meditation as a last resort over the last 6 months, because nothing and I mean nothing else worked out well.

This. If this sounds like you I can only recommend you try it. I sleep better now than I have since I was a kid, after years of not.

Sleep problems is a complex issue and it's hard to figure out all the personal reasons that contribute to your sleeping problems, but I'd rather have you start in that angle than treat the symptoms with drugs of any kind.

With that said, it is almost ludicrous to expect a good nights sleep when your mind is conditioned by hectic modern living and myriads of distractions. Try some meditation, yoga, zen or mindfulness, whatever simple wholesome method that calms you down for a while and puts a brake on that runaway, constantly active, train of thought. Someone said they tried meditation but it didn't work, it is really hard at first because it's almost too simple. Just stop, count your breaths and faze out that mind chatter, not by doing anything about it, just letting go of control for a while. It is only boring or futile when you cling to the idea that there's such a thing as boring or futile. You can't stop the mind doing its thing, but you can stop clinging to the thoughts it makes and that makes the difference.

My sleeping problems come from a long time of bad priorities and while I'm trying my best to correct it, it's not something that I can fix over a night, but it sure helps to be able to stop the incessant panicky mind-racing for a while. I have been practicing zen meditation as a last resort over the last 6 months, because nothing and I mean nothing else worked out well. Prescription drugs did nothing of value and weed just fucked me up. Anyway, it has really exceeded my wildest expectations. Though I must warn you that if you're consistent, eventually you realize it's pointless to do any attempt at controlling things by thinking at all, so it becomes addicting to be in that calm and you need absolutely nothing to be able to do it.

Anyway, good luck and godspeed whichever way you go, this type of problem is one of the worst scourges on the modern human.

Thank you. I shall try this.

Good sleep hygiene helps a ton as does a regimen. Lately I haven't been sleeping til the sun comes up but doing Cocaine will do that to you.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to hear about yr troubles Mesh, saw your post earlier in FWP thread but couldn't find the time to reply then.

Anyway I've been through exactly what you're up against with the anxiety, insomnia, negative thoughts & whatnot - it sucks & it's a vicious cycle that feeds on itself. Your brain simply refuses to shut off and it's maddening. A couple of times in my life I've crashed and burned hard, though as cliche as it sounds I'm stronger and wiser for it. Doesn't make the memories or feelings any less shitty though.

Not sure if it's of any use to you, but basically what got me through my last episode (and kept me on an even keel since) has been

(a) getting out of the horrible job I was at

(b) a low dose regimen of clonazepam + sertraline, coupled with some liberal self medication in pot & whiskey.

© having kids

(a) might not apply to you and © might not either, but I can vouch for the effectiveness of (b), at least with my own body chemistry. It used to take me a half hr to fall asleep on a good night, nowadays it'd be a challenge to stay awake for more than 3 minutes after my head hits the pillow.

Hang in there man, it will get better.

Run like Forrest Gump. Then smoke up like Cheech & Chong. So basically, become Forrest Cheech Chong Gump. It also helps if you introduce yourself with that name, as well. "Hey cutie... So you're Cloey? I'm Chong Gump. ...Forrest Cheech Chong Gump." This will open up the opportunity to have tons of sex with random women named Cloey, which will again help! YO SO SET, MANG.

• 4 years later...

My insomnia started over a year ago when I had a particularly stressful full time job. I went for about a month without any real sleep and ended up going to the doctor, who prescribed some sleeping pills (I had already been practicing mindfulness meditation but it wasn’t helping). It took a little time, but eventually the pills started helping and I was able to sleep through the night again. I also ended up quitting my job.

When the prescription ran out, I switched to diphenhydramine (I had already been using melatonin for some time) and that worked great. Ever since, I’ve been talking a low dose every night before bed and I can sleep through the night fine.

A few times, I’ve skipped it and have been unable to sleep until taking it. Tonight was one of those nights. I went back to the gym today for the first time in many months and was hoping that would do the trick but no dice.

Now I’m worried that I can’t sleep without the diphenhydramine and I guess there’s some new research that says prolonged use is linked to dimentia. Ugh.

Anyway, not sure what to do. I just want to be off of sleep aids and back to normal.

?‍♂️

My insomnia started over a year ago when I had a particularly stressful full time job. I went for about a month without any real sleep and ended up going to the doctor, who prescribed some sleeping pills (I had already been practicing mindfulness meditation but it wasn’t helping). It took a little time, but eventually the pills started helping and I was able to sleep through the night again. I also ended up quitting my job.

When the prescription ran out, I switched to diphenhydramine (I had already been using melatonin for some time) and that worked great. Ever since, I’ve been talking a low dose every night before bed and I can sleep through the night fine.

A few times, I’ve skipped it and have been unable to sleep until taking it. Tonight was one of those nights. I went back to the gym today for the first time in many months and was hoping that would do the trick but no dice.

Now I’m worried that I can’t sleep without the diphenhydramine and I guess there’s some new research that says prolonged use is linked to dimentia. Ugh.

Anyway, not sure what to do. I just want to be off of sleep aids and back to normal.

‍♂

sucks... I've had some sleep issues too, mild to moderate, for years.  Usually i wouldn't call it full-on insomnia, though i did recently have about  a week bout of serious insomnia a couple of months ago, enough to where i felt the need to mention it to my doc at a visit.. Asked if he approved of the occasional diphenhydramine as a sleep aid said it's no problem. I take one pill probably a couple times per month, whenever i want an extra kick to, say,  sleep earlier than normal. Not heard about the dementia bit.

As far as weening of nightly use, only thing i can think to suggest is trying to find a way to reduce the dosage gradually over time.

Archived