IGNORED

Skinny Puppy

SR4

Ive loved the almost IDMish industrial acts like Gridlock (first three tracks on Trace...amazing!) and Haujobb. Ive long known that Skinny Puppy is a must, especially considering that Ive enjoyed Cevin Key's releases as Download. But they have such a huge discography.

I know I really liked bits of their Brap compilation when I borrowed it from a friend ages ago...I remember that stuff not being as dark and metallic as some of their earlier stuff.

So watmm, any recommendations?

I used to listen to them back in the late 80s, early 90s. As time passed, it turned out that I really only liked "mind: the perpetual intercourse" and "cleanse, fold, and manipulate". both of those releases are mid 80sish.

i was a fan from their first through vivisect vi, and lost interest after that. not that they got worse, i think it was more my tastes changing.

so i agree with asymmetrical head, but would add bites, remission (or together for the bites and remission release) and vivisect vi.

Anything 80s Skinny Puppy is great, the earlier the better! Best place to start is here: http://en.wikipedia...._Series_3_%26_4

yeah I mentioned that in the original post....so if i like the tracks on that album, I should start with the 80s albums? Uranus Cancelled reminds me of some weird Dr. Who industro-inspired soundtrack.

Oddly enough, I first heard of Skinny Puppy through my dad. He picked me up from school and was listening to the Cleanse, Fold, and Manipulate tape and I was like "What's This?" my dad said "Some type of Factory Music!" he meant industrial.

Okay here's the order for you:

Too Dark Park (short but perfect)

Last Rights (even better, but needs Too Dark Park to help with unlocking why it's so good)

VIVIsectVI (Way ahead of its time)

Rabies (It's 50% good but the 50% good tracks are amazing)

Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate (when they really started experimenting with kinda horror atmospheres - I think it's an early precursor to Last Rights)

The Process (Still a good album regardless of the style change, you can see they were torn because of love for electronics on one side and love for metal style guitars on the other)

The Greater Wrong of the Right (their comeback album, a lot of old school fans hate it but it's the one that got me into them and it has a place in my heart)

Mythmaker (solid songwriting, nice sounds, still like it)

Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse (Think it made more sense at the time - This one is good for the rerelease version with Chainsaw, Deep Down Trauma Hounds remix and Addiction remix)

Bites and Remission (Great synth pop, highlights here are The Choke, Smothered Hope and especially Dead Lines, which I adore)

Don't bother with Handover. It's terrible.

Enjoy dude! There's a lot of other stuff to get stuck into as well if you like the first few albums you hear, but if you don't get along with Too Dark Park and Last Rights it might not be worth progressing further.

Anything 80s Skinny Puppy is great, the earlier the better! Best place to start is here: http://en.wikipedia...._Series_3_%26_4

yeah I mentioned that in the original post....so if i like the tracks on that album, I should start with the 80s albums? Uranus Cancelled reminds me of some weird Dr. Who industro-inspired soundtrack.

Uranus Cancelled is sort of the backing music for Knowhere? on Last Rights, which is as claustrophobic a song as you're likely to hear. In the recording of the song Ogre's voice fades out at one point, this is because he took loads of cocaine before recording and he had a seizure. It's a powerfully emotional album.

I started with Cleanse Fold, and it was a nice bridge from their earlier stuff to later -- and I agree that Too Dark Park and Last Rights are like the Ride the Lightning / Master of Puppets of SP!

Well you're bound to get a wide range of opinions, as this thread demonstrates so far.

I personally wouldn't mention The Greater Wrong of the Right or Mythmaker to someone asking for a place to start with Skinny Puppy. They are ok, but by no means necessary. And on the topic of reunion albums, I don't think Handover is any worse.

Last Rights was my introduction, and I was hooked instantly. I can't disagree with those that said Too Dark Park followed by Last Rights would be a great place to start.

VIVIsectVI is incredible and ahead of its time for sure. Wouldn't be a bad place to start either.

Rabies was at one time my favorite of theirs, because the good songs on it are so incredible great and powerful. But it's pretty much true that it's 50% good. I might so up to 70%, but that's beside the point.

I won't mention all the albums, but will say that I really enjoy every single pre-reunion album for its own reasons. The reunion albums are very hit or miss and don't have that "ahead of their time" feel that many of their other albums had. Plus the vocoder stuff just doesn't have the same coolness in this century.

There's nothing wrong with starting at the beginning.

Guest MastaN8

I love puppy. But if I could recommend stuff like cevin keys Dragon Experience (great 80's style puppy) and Ghost of Each room (incredible) Tear Garden's Tired eyes slowly burning, shelia liked the rodeo and last man to fly (all fantastic listens) Ohgrs solo stuff Welt and sunnypsyop are my favs. Doubting Thomas infidel is fun. You mentioned download already.And as for puppy Bites,MTPI, Clense fold and manipulate, too dark park, spasmolytic single and last but not least last rights.

One thing I'll say is that the newer material sounds really great during their live shows. They manage to create a cohesive sound that ties all of their styles together from the early 80s to the 2000s. Seeing them live really makes me appreciate the newer stuff more. I've seen all 3 reunion tours...I couldn't have been more happy when they announced a reunion and tour in 2004 since I never had a chance to see them before that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived