IGNORED

"Obscure" Rephlex

joshuatxuk

Fuck me that Tik and Tok track is amazing, it's now on for the I think 12th time. Every time when I think, well, now I have just about heared every Rephlex artist, then I get a smack in the face by watmm and discover 10 (well, maybe 4 after 'researching' this topic, but it feels like 10) more. Thanks :music:

edit: is there any label that consistently (well, it's coming close) puts out amazing music for 20 years? Rephlex is just the best music label ever imo.

Edited by Herr Jan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Gentle People are self released now on iTunes. Dougee Domensional is still the main member, and DJs out of NYC I believe. He sends out an email update a couple times a year.

• 10 months later...

• Who is Dave Nicholls, aka P.P. Roy? He had a mix recently posted and I recall reading that he was the one who found the original copy of Black Devil Disco Club. Other than that, I'm only aware of the two releases at Rephlex. Also, that album cover, it's in that special category of wtf!? that leaves me intrigued everytime I see it.

Could this be PP Roy new alias....

avatars-000000652947-bhz7c6-crop.jpg?484

also: strange lack of Italians on your "main" artists list

Bought this album today, what a threat, the music is so fucking weird and fun/silly, i love, reminds me of early global goon.

Fuck me that Tik and Tok track is amazing, it's now on for the I think 12th time. Every time when I think, well, now I have just about heared every Rephlex artist, then I get a smack in the face by watmm and discover 10 (well, maybe 4 after 'researching' this topic, but it feels like 10) more. Thanks :music:

edit: is there any label that consistently (well, it's coming close) puts out amazing music for 20 years? Rephlex is just the best music label ever imo.

Fun reading this back, coincidentally I received an old Rephlex 12" yesterday, by Slipper. ( http://www.discogs.com/Slipper-Invisible-Movies/release/54739 )

I only knew that one track (Fascinating) of a compilation, but the rest is really laidback awesome braindance. Rephlex still suprises me with old and new. Still my favorite label.

Fun reading this back, coincidentally I received an old Rephlex 12" yesterday, by Slipper. ( http://www.discogs.com/Slipper-Invisible-Movies/release/54739 )

I only knew that one track (Fascinating) of a compilation, but the rest is really laidback awesome braindance. Rephlex still suprises me with old and new. Still my favorite label.

I need to check that Slipper album out, that track is appropriately named - it and much of the output by the Gentle People always had this strange lounge-y/exotica sound to it that appealed to me. They're still quite overlooked in my view, especially now that the same sound is being channeled by a lot of producers.

I need to check that Slipper album out, that track is appropriately named - it and much of the output by the Gentle People always had this strange lounge-y/exotica sound to it that appealed to me. They're still quite overlooked in my view, especially now that the same sound is being channeled by a lot of producers.

Yes, alot of Martin Denny and Les Baxter type influences everywhere.

It's weird that one of the members of Slipper was the drummer called Rat Scabies in a punk band from the 70's till 1995 called the Damned... Slippers music is so laidback, nice and warm, the absolute opposite.

And Gentle People is, together with Luke Vibert, probably the nicest music ever made (and since Luke Vibert remixed a track of the Gentle People, that track must be the epitomy of nice).

Guest jasondonervan

• Freakwincey - I Farted...well to that I must ask why? Why the farting?

[youtubehd]m-auH6_GgHc[/youtubehd]

hahaha wtf

"URRRGH, THAT WAS A WET ONE!"

This is a new one to me. Insta-classic!

Edited by jasondonervan

• Freakwincey - I Farted...well to that I must ask why? Why the farting?

[youtubehd]m-auH6_GgHc[/youtubehd]

hahaha wtf

"URRRGH, THAT WAS A WET ONE!"

This is a new one to me. Insta-classic!

I think some of those farts are, along with the "that was a wet one" quote, are looped - that's likely why it came out on a braindance label.