IGNORED

13 years of Windowlicker!

Revitute

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this track is pretty similar, awesome though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEaNs2wRmlY

Im in KA and the shit about samples from APX is bullshit. This song took us 3 months to make. Windowlicker was ofcoures a HUGE inspiration (the best track ever). We just wanted to learn how to make the same groove. Over and out.

I have never really liked Windowlicker. I loved the garish overkill of the video but that's Cunningham innit. I'm partial to the breakdown after the girl likes to fuck her dog/make dog treats/let her dog give her a lovebite/etc. but it's just not that great of a track. I went on to love Equation, Nannou and the Japanese bonus so I can hang with the "great EP" crowd but that is all. Surely I can't be the only one in this bumlicky thread...

Have you ever heard it performed live though? Because much as I like the track (and vid) though phones I could swear this has as single purpose: to be blasted at proper dB at spring/summer electronic music festivals. Might've been the acid but mind = blown, body = space, crowd = mental pure :braindance:

controversial point of view = if you need drugs to be able to like a track, then there's something...wrong.

anyway, I've heard this track played on a few different systems (including nice and loud), and I'm in agreement with xxx here. I personally think he's done way better. Although that intro beat is fucking killer.

The track is a bit of an oddity in the IDM world since its all about the joke, the sleaziness, the funkiness. It's actually fun and clever in an R rated sort of way. Reveling in decadence and booty shakin' while poking fun at the same time.

It pretty much stands alone. It's Aphex's equivalent of a John Waters movie or something. There are tracks I go to before this one, definitely. But if I had to be completely objective, I'm not sure if he has done better.

Guest butWHY

controversial point of view = if you need drugs to be able to like a track, then there's something...wrong.

Actually I would agree with that, but it's not what I wrote. It's just a pet theory that it's 'intended' (or rather suited) for festivals and whatnot, I know a whole range of electronic music sounds better with the proper equipment and setting, but if I put it another way; of all the AFX tracks I think this one is least intended for bedroom headphone banging.. it's just so.. theatrically playful, or something. Sorry I'm not making more sense.

I would've liked to hear an entire album like this. Not really Aphex Twin doing pop, but more his usual sounds (crazy fast jitter beat, steady but effective normal beat, big MS-20 (i believe) bassline, melody that would be melancholy on piano or guitar but comes out sounding zany because of the weird spaceman instrumentation) arranged in a different way than usual & ran through a pop filters (like the huge compression on the drums & the fact it has "vocals").

I would've liked to hear an entire album like this. Not really Aphex Twin doing pop, but more his usual sounds (crazy fast jitter beat, steady but effective normal beat, big MS-20 (i believe) bassline, melody that would be melancholy on piano or guitar but comes out sounding zany because of the weird spaceman instrumentation) arranged in a different way than usual & ran through a pop filters (like the huge compression on the drums & the fact it has "vocals").

That's what I was hoping (and Warner Music was too) that Windowlicker was a single preceeding a proper album - I see Windowlicker as one of those tracks that fits in with the quality he put into ICBYD's tracks - a whole album of Windowlicker-quality stuff would have been great. Still would. Can't wait for about 10-15 years down the road and Richard gets nostalgic and starts revisiting material from the early 90's...

Actually I would agree with that, but it's not what I wrote. It's just a pet theory that it's 'intended' (or rather suited) for festivals and whatnot, I know a whole range of electronic music sounds better with the proper equipment and setting, but if I put it another way; of all the AFX tracks I think this one is least intended for bedroom headphone banging.. it's just so.. theatrically playful, or something. Sorry I'm not making more sense.

Nah it's my bad, maybe. I read your post and just saw "It could've been the acid" and yeah, minirant. :beer:

That's what I was hoping (and Warner Music was too) that Windowlicker was a single preceeding a proper album - I see Windowlicker as one of those tracks that fits in with the quality he put into ICBYD's tracks - a whole album of Windowlicker-quality stuff would have been great. Still would. Can't wait for about 10-15 years down the road and Richard gets nostalgic and starts revisiting material from the early 90's...

I thought we already had the Kroniktronikboy stuff? :cisfor:

this is his best track imho. so inventive and groovy. the synthesis is very unique. the plucky synth sound and the bending vocals. the bouncy unison bassline and the breathy voices mixed with the growling is beautiful. i love the scratch edit in the video too. What an amazing release. classic aphex mind blower

I feel that it's a pretty influential track.

I can't stand Come to Daddy, though. It becomes a bit better when looked at as a parody of The Prodigy. I don't even like the music video. All of Cunningham's other stuff is top notch, though.

Nah it's my bad, maybe. I read your post and just saw "It could've been the acid" and yeah, minirant. :beer:

I thought we already had the Kroniktronikboy stuff? :cisfor:

:cerious:

Guest Backson

That would easily turn me from an Aphex casual into a fanboy. That is one of my favourite tracks ever, and I don't care for much else he's done.

I'm pretty sure all my favourite music is influenced by that track in some way.

• 2 months later...

I'm partial to the breakdown after the girl likes to fuck her dog/make dog treats/let her dog give her a lovebite/etc.

Reminds me of the time I was instant messaging a penpal I'd sent a mixtape (containing Windowlicker) to and was trying to explain what a "windowlicker" was. The language barrier probably helped in this situation, I think she vaguely got the idea but wasn't sure why I thought it was humorous. She was very concerned about the dog. lol

Facts:

- This track was my "track of the decade" for our 2010 New Years Top5athon party

- I wore a sparkly black jumpsuit I borrowed off my sister and a blond wig (im a ginger beardy too ) to a fancy dress party and half the folks thought was going as jesus the others recognized the 'phex.

- wore the same wig to RDJ @ dublin gig and 3 people thought i was the man himself. RDJ took some snaps of me from under his stage desk.....

- the track gives fuck you finger to every stereotypical hip/hop rap/ glossy video, sexed up video that was ever made and are still being made. it even takes the piss out of gaga/minaj a decade before we even fucking heard of them!!!!!

- pure fucking genius!

Archived