IGNORED

13 years of Windowlicker!

Revitute

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would we think of this track as a fuck you to hip hop without the video?

Without the video, the feel of the tune to me always resembled this perfect caricature of this Cream Ibiza image that is thoroughly pissed on like a wet log and torn apart gracefully with all the stutters/pops. This tune was meant to be blasted loud with massive systems in mind.....

Without the video, it's a massive yardstick in production regardless...... insanely crisp/well defined/lovable grooves etc. The video obviously had a hand in making it memorable for loads :spiteful: serving as a good introduction for quite a few people at the time.

I feel that Windowlicker is a testament to the ability of the Twin because he didn't have to compromise much of his eccentricity to produce a track with a relatively wide appeal... The arrangement is far from conventional, and yet this track can slide right into a set with ease. Hell, I requested it at a gay bar recently and the queens seemed to enjoy themselves in spite of it obviously not being Calvin Harris.

Does anybody have the early version of Window Licker that leaked before its official release? It had one layer of humming not yet mixed in, and also fewer FX. It was a low bit-rate MP3.

Does anybody have the early version of Window Licker that leaked before its official release? It had one layer of humming not yet mixed in, and also fewer FX. It was a low bit-rate MP3.

Is it this?

this track has always left me thinking how the fuck did he do that? This is an old track too. Computers couldn't handle much then. Its always amazed me to this day. I still cant wrap my little head around it.

Is it this?

Thanks for your reply, but nope, that's not it. It was basically the same song structure as the released version, about 6 minutes long. The differences were very minimal, but the leaked version seemed cleaner musically, the extra humming and ring-modulatorish FX didn't add anything essential. I think I had downloaded it from the Aphex Twin newsgroup on Usenet. It was probably a 64 kb MP3.

revitute was banned? what for?

lol

Was just about to ask this, myself.

• 9 months later...
Guest The Caustic Window

would we think of this track as a fuck you to hip hop without the video?

i don't give a fuck

Is it this?

I can not understand how conventional that rhythm is. Like it should be impossible for rdj to produce something as straightforward as this and than to arrive at the final version. You don't think he writes tracks in two stages, right? Like he starts of with a melodic idea, and when that's finished, he starts to fuck with the cuts and the edits and the general outlines of the rhythms...

track has kind of wore off on me. i'd rather hear a whole album like 'at the heart of it all'. the best part of windowlicker is the chopped stuff going on in the start of the track, and i've always felt that the ending part where it gets all distorted, is just entirely too repetitive. it just kind of baffles me why he would have chosen to do that, have that part be so simple. imagine if it had some chopping and different notes played etc, more like what happens in the beginning. then there's the part just before that ending part comes in, there's like maybe a whole minute almost that just seems pointless and redundant. i'm talking about where the track breaks down and acts like it's about to change, but then it doesnt and it comes back in with more of the same, just before it finally does actually change. ugghh.... so drawn out.

the better tracks on drukqs blow windowlicker away. but it would be nice if he did some stuff where the chopping was more simple and funky like the start of windowlicker.

track has kind of wore off on me. i'd rather hear a whole album like 'at the heart of it all'. the best part of windowlicker is the chopped stuff going on in the start of the track, and i've always felt that the ending part where it gets all distorted, is just entirely too repetitive. it just kind of baffles me why he would have chosen to do that, have that part be so simple. imagine if it had some chopping and different notes played etc, more like what happens in the beginning. then there's the part just before that ending part comes in, there's like maybe a whole minute almost that just seems pointless and redundant. i'm talking about where the track breaks down and acts like it's about to change, but then it doesnt and it comes back in with more of the same, just before it finally does actually change. ugghh.... so drawn out.

the better tracks on drukqs blow windowlicker away. but it would be nice if he did some stuff where the chopping was more simple and funky like the start of windowlicker.

the end is awesome, it's an mdma rush explosion

Archived