IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

that lateralus tour was one of the greatest musical experiences of my life

this

also, great visuals as far as I can remember.

I had the feeling that the 10,000 days tour visuals were just some Adam Jones 3D leftover pisstakes he had lying around

i hope the new album isn't as brickwalled as 10,000 days

I'm kinda on the fence about this one... I used to be really really into Tool, like they were my favorite band. I still love the older stuff a hell of a lot, but man 10kdays was just not a good record imo, It seemed like mostly filler except for maybe 2 or 3 good songs (Rosetta Stoned not included, that track is overrated wankery). I don't feel it had a consistent theme either, it felt kinda thrown together. I really can't help but agree with the notion that they have definitely peaked already. I think it's safe to say they'll never top Lateralus. If they do release another album of Aenima or Lateralus quality I'll be quite happy and I'm sure I'll play it a hell of a lot, but if it's another 10kdays I'm gonna be really dissapointed...

I've also thought that it'd be really coo to hear them go back to roots, and not try to give off the "enlightend/higher conciousness" Alex Jones vibe and go back to being slightly darker, angry and rawer sounding i.e. Undertow and Aenima (though that had themes of higher conciousness it was more subtle). I wanna hear Maynard pissed off and bitter again.

Edited by ghOsty

rosetta stoned is a favorite of mine as well.

i totally agree about the brick walling of 10k days. i really hope they don't use joe barisi as a producer again but i have a feeling they will. bottrill was much more in tune with their sound. i also agree with 10k days not being a complete whole. i think they had a totally different writing approach to that one and it kind of shows. as good as wings for marie is, it kind of split that record up too much. plus the interludes this time were pretty bad. lipan conjuring? really? lost keys was ok but the last track was a lot of binaural wankery. all in all, having 5 or 6 full songs is coming up a little short after 5 or 6 years, especially considering the wings for marie music was being played as early as 2002.

i would not hold your breath about hearing an angry maynard again, he is a pretty content and happy dude these days. i hope he got a lot out of his system with puscifer but i feel like his heart his much more into his wine and puscifer than tool. we shall see. obviously i love the dude to death and will always give the 4 of them the benefit of the doubt. i think they can still put out a great record and i'm pretty sure this will be better than 10k days. it kind of has to be.

i would also like to see a departure from alex grey. it's been over 10 years now, let's mix it up a little...

The alternate tracks-ordered Lateralus is probably my fav. Tool album. Anyone else tried that?

1. Parabol

2. Parabola

3. Schism

4. Ticks and Leeches

5. Mantra

6. Lateralus

7. Faaip De Oiad

8. The Grudge

9. Triad

10. Eon Blue Apocalypse

11. Reflection

12. The Patient

13. Disposition.

That gives the album a different' more cohesive feel. Also interesting how some tracks seem like they were made to flow into each other.

HOLY CRAP. THIS! Wow.

i would not hold your breath about hearing an angry maynard again, he is a pretty content and happy dude these days. i hope he got a lot out of his system with puscifer but i feel like his heart his much more into his wine and puscifer than tool. we shall see. obviously i love the dude to death and will always give the 4 of them the benefit of the doubt. i think they can still put out a great record and i'm pretty sure this will be better than 10k days. it kind of has to be.

i would also like to see a departure from alex grey. it's been over 10 years now, let's mix it up a little...

I think that's exactly my worry about it, he just doesn't seem as into Tool anymore, even before Puscifer came about, he was dabbling in APC (though I did like APC quite a bit) and other side projects (the Tapeworm project that sadly never came about)... I also just now realized I said Alex Jones instead of Grey in my post, but I guess Rosetta Stoned was a little Jones-ish

I thought that 10k days was much more tongue in cheek (I think that the band has been pretty tongue in cheek their whole career and it's only the fanboys that took them too seriously) than previous albums (except for the Wings for Marie tracks). And I don't won't them to return to those angry Undertow and Aenima days, it's embarrassing to hear millionaires in their 40s whining about dumb shit. And I do think that Barresi is also producing the new album, but I agree that Bottril was much more in tune with their sound, but apparently they wanted to go a different way, more towards a stoner-rockish sound. While 10k Days wasn't up to par with the two previous album it wasn't a bad album, they still have good chops, so whatever they come out with will be a quality album. It's hard to top Lateralus and Aenima.

Guest couch

I'm all for a new Tool album and stuff. But really, when you have Lateralus to compare it to.

Damn that bar got set high.

:/

I thought that 10k days was much more tongue in cheek (I think that the band has been pretty tongue in cheek their whole career and it's only the fanboys that took them too seriously) than previous albums (except for the Wings for Marie tracks). And I don't won't them to return to those angry Undertow and Aenima days, it's embarrassing to hear millionaires in their 40s whining about dumb shit. And I do think that Barresi is also producing the new album, but I agree that Bottril was much more in tune with their sound, but apparently they wanted to go a different way, more towards a stoner-rockish sound. While 10k Days wasn't up to par with the two previous album it wasn't a bad album, they still have good chops, so whatever they come out with will be a quality album. It's hard to top Lateralus and Aenima.

Now that you mention it, maybe 10K Days was really tongue in cheek.... Never considered that before. My main complaint about the album is that it just feels formulated, like Lateralus + Aenima = 10K Days, and yeah hella compression, but that's the norm now so... :shrug:

I'll definitely check out whatever they're up to, but I'll wait to be wowed.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I don't think Maynard likes being angry anymore, he doesn't like pushing his vocal chords to any sort of extreme anymore, he just wants to have a good time. These factors do not work very well for the chances of him frontmaning a comeback Tool record. I have little faith. I have faith in Adam, Danny and Justin but I think Manyard ruins the potential for them to really wail out an album that is remotely on the same level of Lateralus or the fire that was AEnema.

AND yeah 10,000 Days was not a very serious record. It might seem better if they're past had been different but, you can't album but want something that can stand next to AEnema.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Been hearing people say stuff about his vocal chords for like the last 6 years.

Well I don't pay attention to what other people say about Maynard as much as I PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT MAYNARD SAYS ABOUT MAYNARD. I read and watch just about every interview of his. He himself has said that he's getting old, can't hit intense moments like he used to, that he doesn't like "opening up wounds" in his music anymore.

re: 10,000 Days being tongue in cheek

Back when the album leaked, quite a few people were convinced that tool was pulling the greatest prank of all time and leaking an entire joke album as a decoy. This speculation was followed shortly thereafter with a really uncomfortable feeling.

Goddamn, shit the bed.

Edited by baph

Back when the album leaked, quite a few people were convinced that tool was pulling the greatest prank of all time and leaking an entire joke album as a decoy. This speculation was followed shortly thereafter with a really uncomfortable feeling.

Goddamn, shit the bed.

That was so incredibly awesome.