IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

tool records are always quality. I'm sure the next one (fingers crossed that it's a double album...it very well might be their last) will be good.

Edited by auxien

I would not mind if this next one would be their last. But I somehow doubt it. But who knows. Maybe Maynard calls it quits but the rest of the guys continue on together as some other band. It's pretty much Adam, Justin and Danny doing the music and Maynard drops in once that is done, writes up some lyrics and records the vocals. Or maybe I am wrong in what kind of creative input MJK has on the music.

I am interesting in hearing the fusion stuff that Danny has recorded with Volto!, which should have something coming out soon.

this has to be their last. at the rate of an album every 5 or 6 years they will be well into their 50s for the next one.

how about some live releases or the ever elusive live DVD? throw some bones out to your fans ffs.

that's why i said they will be well into their 50's.

im not touching the comment on the rolling stones at all.

at least release another salival type thing. or a dvd. or something. i'm sure they will cash in on that stuff after they are done.

oh they've got footage for days for a live release (from at least a large part of the touring the did for Lateralus, i'm not sure about the 10,000 Days touring, but it's possible). they had to have come to a group decision to wait and release it all once they called it quits or something, cause there's no other reason it shouldn't have all come out already. a small DVD production company could've compiled it all into any crazy format or whatever Tool asked of them within a year after the touring was over. the reports of them doing Faaip de Oiad after a few concerts once almost everyone had left is killing me, i can't imagine what the hell that would've sounded like live.

I've once read in an interview, can't remember with which member (danny, adam,...) that they agreed they will all continue with Tool until one of them dies.

And I'm willing to believe it's true.

wow, that would be something.

i bet the next one is much more proggy and not too heavy.

i'd like to see their dvd release be more of a visual album like the wall

I don't think I agree with the sentiment that Maynard is the weak link. Sure he's around the shortest time in album development (naturally) and he doesn't write the existentialist stuff he used to, but I personally believe most people don't have maps... uh, I believe Maynard's lyrics and vocal delivery was probably the best on 10k Days - though I'm sure that'll get shot down immediately.

That isn't to say I think it's the best album, AEnema is easily tops. Followed by Lateralus. But for my money it's Adam Jones who's the weakest link (though still strong). He doesn't vary his sound a huge amount.. I don't know much about playing guitar.. but he plays similar chords a lot or something I guess?

Still love him though.

I dunno what I'm talking about

I don't think I agree with the sentiment that Maynard is the weak link. Sure he's around the shortest time in album development (naturally) and he doesn't write the existentialist stuff he used to, but I personally believe most people don't have maps... uh, I believe Maynard's lyrics and vocal delivery was probably the best on 10k Days - though I'm sure that'll get shot down immediately.

That isn't to say I think it's the best album, AEnema is easily tops. Followed by Lateralus. But for my money it's Adam Jones who's the weakest link (though still strong). He doesn't vary his sound a huge amount.. I don't know much about playing guitar.. but he plays similar chords a lot or something I guess?

Still love him though.

I dunno what I'm talking about

good post

Adam is definitely the weakest link, to the extent that Maynard even gives a fuck anymore.

You could tell Adam was out of ideas when he started doing Bon Jovi talkbox solos all over the place.

Still, Adam has a penchant for seemingly simple but timing-intensive rhythmic figures and it's basically the core of what tool "sounds like." Some of his phrasing-- on Lateralus in particular -- is incredible.

Edited by baph

Adam is definitely the weakest link, to the extent that Maynard even gives a fuck anymore.

You could tell Adam was out of ideas when he started doing Bon Jovi talkbox solos all over the place.

that talk box solo is the only cringeworthy thing tool has ever dome for me. he has a lot of atmospheric stuff that isn't immediately noticeable but yea, he does do a lot of the same type of stuff. plus live, he looks so bored, so incredibly bored.

as far i know, maynard has a ton more to do with the records than just adding lyrics to the music. he is pretty heavily involved in arrangements as well. i think that is what ultimately almost broke them up[ during the lateralus era and apparently had similar issues with apc. im guessing he is kind of a control freak.

danny and justin are just so incredibly talented that i wish they did more in the years and years of downtime. i am very much looking forward to volto as well but i think barisi produced that, so i expect my ears to hurt while enjoying the record.

I just read a new interview with Danny and he said what they have now is really heavy and Adam has been really rockin out. so who knows...

edit: here is the quote

So, you guys are back in writing mode right now?

Yes…Justin, Adam & I are working on some stuff and Maynard will join us in another month or so, once he finished up with his ‘other band’. We’d like to get in the studio by May or June and holpefully get our new record done by the fall…we’ll see how things go. Right now, we’re throwing riffs around and seeing what feels good. So far, it’s turning out to be a bit more on the heavier side…Adam is really rockin’ out, so it’s exciting.

Edited by jules

They said something similar about 10000 Days as they were touring with Mastodon previously. I suppose 10K Days was heavier than Lateralus though... slightly.

I will agree that Aenima/Lateralus was their best but I still really like 10,000 Days. It's just not very consistent. Like 4 different, completely unrelated albums slapped together. Which is a shame because apart from some of the instrumental interlude stuff, there isn't really a bad song on it. They're just... missing their brothers and sisters.

But it did take me a long time to get into it. I trust that whatever they do next will be of a very high standard, even if it isn't as good as Lateralus.

• 3 weeks later...