IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

too much of a straight cover to be very interesting really, intro is nice enough tho. and yeah zephyr i'd say in the intro he sounds exactly like Maynard really. not sure I could tell them apart at times.

Interesting horn arrangement. I like how some of the notes/harmonies are a bit dissonant in comparison to the original.

As for the voice, yeah it's almost spot on. Sounds to me like Maynard with a touch of Will Oldham.

Sounds to me like Maynard with a touch of Will Oldham.

Oh shit! That’s exactly it!!

I liked it. I wished they had omitted the guitar and found a way to make it only horns and drums. With the guitar I think it just ties too close to a straight cover and they lean on it too much

But still very impressive

I liked it. I wished they had omitted the guitar and found a way to make it only horns and drums. With the guitar I think it just ties too close to a straight cover and they lean on it too much

But still very impressive

I actually think the guitar sounds better than the original in the heavy parts. I may be a bit burned out on that super clean Tool mix though..

helluva interesting read there. too much maths.

edit: referring to very honest

Edited by olo

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder how nervous the members of Tool are. The thing about spending so long to release a new album as a band with classic albums under their belt, are the sky high expectations due to fans speculating on a new album for so long and following news of its progress/ups and downs from beginning to end. It's kinda like Syro in this regard.

There's also the understanding that after this album it could be it for the band, or at least there will be a 10-15 year wait for the follow up. So if this record isn't great then that's the last tool album for many people.

I’d bet on the single before their tour in May ??‍♂️

How much would you bet

I could use some free money

;)

haha, I’m already 2 for 2 in this thread. Avatar bet?

I wonder how nervous the members of Tool are. The thing about spending so long to release a new album as a band with classic albums under their belt, are the sky high expectations due to fans speculating on a new album for so long and following news of its progress/ups and downs from beginning to end. It's kinda like Syro in this regard.

There's also the understanding that after this album it could be it for the band, or at least there will be a 10-15 year wait for the follow up. So if this record isn't great then that's the last tool album for many people.

This is definitely their last album. But after that I am sure there will be live releases/dvd/vinyl remasters etc. They will milk the shit out of it.

^avatar bet would be fun sure. gotta keep the avatar the other chooses until....the album actually comes out? ;) lolllll

terms: if the single is released before the first May tour date you win, if not I win, good?  :beer: 

yeah likely right on this being the last album of course...and they definitely have live stuff filmed and recorded, there'll be shit coming out for the next decade or two easily

Imagine if they decided to take a few months aside and just bash out another album without overthinking it like a normal band, maybe a year after this one.  I bet it would destroy 10,000 Days.  Prob come out similar to Undertow, but with better production.

I look forward to the day a year and a half from now when someone quotes this reply for its relevance.

This is definitely their last album. But after that I am sure there will be live releases/dvd/vinyl remasters etc. They will milk the shit out of it. 

IDK. Who knows maybe they will knock another one out between 5 and 10 years. It seems like they straight up didn't work on new music due to that lawsuit for like 3-5 years in earlier half of the decade. 

But I think it's pretty much guaranteed to either be the last or second to last.

Imagine if they decided to take a few months aside and just bash out another album without overthinking it like a normal band, maybe a year after this one.  I bet it would destroy 10,000 Days.  Prob come out similar to Undertow, but with better production.

I've been thinking/saying this for years - I would love to hear what they can come up with in a shorter timeframe. Something perhaps more authentic and immediate, instead of some over-analyzed whatever that's gonna be totally predicable and frankly irrelevant at this point.

Edited by sidewinder

I've been thinking/saying this for years - I would love to hear what they can come up with in a shorter timeframe. Something perhaps more authentic and immediate, instead of some over-analyzed whatever that's gonna be totally predicable and frankly irrelevant at this point.

I mean I'm with y'all, would love this but 

'totally predictable and frankly irrelevant' 

I mean like

write the album then dude lol

:trollface: 

They should know by now that overthinking/overanalyzing separates the body from the mind.

I am full of knowledge of the Fibonacci sequence which guided such seminal works as Lateralus, but now i'm quite sure as they approach their 5th album (80th-100 percentile) they are guided by the Pareto principal: 80% of the value is locked within the top 20% of the volume.

But what do you know about the Reimann hypothesis?