IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

though i think a lot of fans are going to be disappointed, and it's hard to make a decision after just one listen to a 10min track, i think i'm into it. the drumming and the production are really nice.

my one concern is that all/most of the album's tracks are going to follow the same overarching build-build-build-crescendo formula. i hope we get some more aggressive sections in some tracks.

like the other new songs i heard on youtube from the live recordings, this sounds totally uninspired and lacking in imagination. sounds like neutered lateralus warm up jam. drum part sounds exactly like 'reflection', vocals sound like APC or porcupine tree. i don't know why they stopped using dissonance in their tracks after Ænima. everything sound same. boooo

I liked the new track on 1st listen and also enjoyed the 2 new songs played live

However also thinking this...

1 hour ago, QQQ said:

my one concern is that all/most of the album's tracks are going to follow the same overarching build-build-build-crescendo formula. i hope we get some more aggressive sections in some tracks.

i'm almost wondering if this is a ruse. i get that danny carey probably still uses the same mandala drum pads from the lateralus era, but the drum groove seems to be almost exactly the same form and tempo as 'reflection'. sounds like a cut and paste job from lateralus/10k/APC scraps. same with the other tunes on youtube. not offensively bad, but utterly forgettable. AI generated tool song

• Like 1

22 hours ago, usagi said:

ah I see, thanks. also how do you get to the plaintext post editing view?

Unfortunately there is no such mode anymore - the software has done away with BBCode (although you can still type it like spoiler tags) and thus a "source" view. Sorry!

i get that dank, balmy, borderland, book smell from this song, which is exciting. maybe it's just my room.

this and the other 2 i like very much. imagining another 50 to 60 minutes of comparable material... oh boy.

Edited by very honest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Salvatorin said:

i'm almost wondering if this is a ruse. i get that danny carey probably still uses the same mandala drum pads from the lateralus era, but the drum groove seems to be almost exactly the same form and tempo as 'reflection'. sounds like a cut and paste job from lateralus/10k/APC scraps. same with the other tunes on youtube. not offensively bad, but utterly forgettable. AI generated tool song

Exactly my feelings about it. I can't help but continue to feel suspicious after such a derivative lukewarm single such as this. I don't wan't to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But this.is.UNnecessary

• Haha 1

definitely feeling the reflection vibe on this track. perhaps they went with the most 'traditional' sounding track as the single and the other tracks are different. sounds like tool that's for sure. chapeau to them for creating their unique sound that is instantly recognizable as them. i will probably have it on heavy rotation once it's released and then not listen to it for a long while or until i need more twäng in my music diet from the usual bleepy bloopy shit.

lol checked the limited edition cd, expensive as fuck and all kind of bells and whistles. 

Sounds like a mixture of 10,000 Days and Lateralus (with the baggage from each). Maynard's delivery is either hit or miss, as standard from Tool. While his vocal modulations at the beginning of the song are nice, they drop in quality fast and hard. The hook is extremely cheesy, predictable and incredibly boring. Pseudo-Prog at its best. Danny's percussion is the only redeemable part of this slog.

Yep, sounds like Tool.

I wasn't expecting it to bring anything new to the table.  it's just nice hearing more Tool after such a long absence.  I like it more than anything off 10,000 Days after one listen.  Really loving the monster fuzz tone guitar treatment, and how the swells towards the start sound more like organ than guitar.  The blend between all instruments is reeeeeally nice.  I hated the mix on 10,000 Days, so I'm just relieved to hear that the songs will be showcased in the best light, regardless of how Tool-by-numbers they may be.  At least, where the instruments are concerned... vocals sounded autotuned to perfect hell, which is unfortunate.  Ideally after all that time Maynard would have done enough takes for it to not be necessary.  I mean... surely they'd sound fine without any of that BS?  He can nail it live so I just don't understand the reasoning behind a choice like that.  

Maynard has used vocal effects since like forever? not sure if these are auto tuned like you’re suggesting but they did sound like they had some studio playtime or doubled/weirded out...I mean literally every other sound is tweaked in the studio to ridiculous degrees, what’s wrong with some vocal effects? pretty sure he can hit a note he wants to 95% of the time...but idk. only listened once

Vocal effects and doubles are cool.  I just find autotune in this style of music to be distasteful.  it's not how I like to hear vocals in rock/metal, unless it's done in an interesting way.

7 hours ago, Salvatorin said:

People had a similar theory before 10000 Days. "Look at that tracklist, a song called The Pot are you kidding? They are hiding the real album away! Vicarious is intentionally uninspired, just read the lyrics man"

It must be hard to write songs that sound like Tool without being too familiar or too different. Honestly they used up all their best riffs on Aenima. So far this doesn't sound as forced as 10000 Days, and I'm happy for a more relaxed listen without setting expectations sky high. 

• Like 1