IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

it is a work of art. supposedly he has the drums arranged using the fibonacci sequence. he has a killer shirt on his site that i have almost bought a million times.

MGITD-2.jpg

Guest theSun

adam is definitely the technical weak link, but more technicality doesn't equal a better band. the timing in tool songs can be pretty confusing, and making a guitar riff to some of danny's drum lines could get stupid. adam has a way of adding rhythmically complimentary parts without echoing the drums/bass and giving the song a great feel. (see 6:45 in eulogy) it's this intuition that can't be taught. like every tool song is in drop d so this makes things pretty easy on adam for heavy powerchord riffs.

when justin and adam lock in, it's got a great effect as opposed to 90% of other bands where the guitar/bass parts are the same thing. and of course danny is the greatest percussionist ever to live (srsly). his drumset is a work of art but it's just his tool :cerious:

omg need that shirt

it is a work of art. supposedly he has the drums arranged using the fibonacci sequence. he has a killer shirt on his site that i have almost bought a million times.

MGITD-2.jpg

Yup Lord Jules, that is a very tasty shirt.

*goes on t-shirt investigation*

Edited by beerwolf

I faked the tool art for that record. People were into it and then got pissed.

Oh god, t.d.n. gl0tch. gl0tch from t.d.n. It's all coming back to me now.

Christ, I haven't posted there in so many years. "Aldaraia," lol.

Edited by baph

you were on there too? lol!

adam is definitely the technical weak link, but more technicality doesn't equal a better band. the timing in tool songs can be pretty confusing, and making a guitar riff to some of danny's drum lines could get stupid. adam has a way of adding rhythmically complimentary parts without echoing the drums/bass and giving the song a great feel. (see 6:45 in eulogy) it's this intuition that can't be taught. like every tool song is in drop d so this makes things pretty easy on adam for heavy powerchord riffs.

when justin and adam lock in, it's got a great effect as opposed to 90% of other bands where the guitar/bass parts are the same thing. and of course danny is the greatest percussionist ever to live (srsly). his drumset is a work of art but it's just his tool :cerious:

omg need that shirt

from what i've read it is usually danny writing his parts to accompany all the crazy shit adam and justin write. but im sure it is very much a 3 or 4 way street.

Edited by jules

Christ, I haven't posted there in so many years.

i remember when i was browsing those forums at that time, they did get all worked up about this fake cover, something abstract yellowish (it was either from gl0tch or jules?)

people were seeing easter island faces in it, and other deeply toolish-y stuff

it was amazing

and by amazing i mean "beyond any boc forum over-analitical gaze"

i don't like that forum in many ways, but if there's an official new album announcement, i'll be browsing the fuck out of it again, just to read the crazy speculations

you were on there too? lol!

I was baphomet. lol. I think I was most active around 2003-2004. I'm sure those early baph posts are fucking embarrassing. I'm actually embarrassed that I defaulted to the old name when signing up for watmm.

Met some good people on that forum and a few offshoots (mostly the offshoots), although I suck at having friends and I lost touch.

Edited by baph

Guest Drahken

Anyone else catch that Danny is looking for a tech/intern to setup his EMS Synthi 100? Talk about a bad ass job.

I’m looking for a tech to get this monster up and running, and an intern with advanced knowledge of midi to cv gate conversion and protools. Anyone qualified please contact me at Thanks for spreading the word. D.C.

i used to regularly lurk t.d.n. as well, and post occasionally; much like i do here. how many of us fuckers are here that were also on t.d.n? watmm/tdn sub forum request? okay not really. but shit, there's a few apparently.

i can't even remember what name i used back then on there. it's been so many years.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

LoL reminds me of looking for Lateralus leaks on Napster or something and one of the tracks we downloaded was Suck My Dogs Dick by none other than Wesley Willis. First time we had heard anything by him and it was an amazing moment of confused joyful laughter

Christ, I haven't posted there in so many years.

i remember when i was browsing those forums at that time, they did get all worked up about this fake cover, something abstract yellowish (it was either from gl0tch or jules?)

people were seeing easter island faces in it, and other deeply toolish-y stuff

it was amazing

and by amazing i mean "beyond any boc forum over-analitical gaze"

i don't like that forum in many ways, but if there's an official new album announcement, i'll be browsing the fuck out of it again, just to read the crazy speculations

Yup, it was me. I found the pic:

jd100009vf.jpg

I had done a couple more, with something that looked very meat like and some other weird bone shit. I gotta find it. Maybe I still have the files. LOL!

Re: Lateralus re-ordered...

Jules and some of you other guys might get a kick out of this...

I was in the toolchat room on the official page the other day (yeah, I still go in there from time to time, wouldn't reccomened it but its a nostalgia thing I used to go there as a teeen quite often) anyways... One rather obsessive fan presented an order to me, claiming he had "figured out Lateralus" along with a reeeeaaaally detailed explination, that I can't quite remember/didnt understand enough of but I did copy down. His reasoning was something along the lines of using the fibonnaci sequence to jump up and down through track order, moving up when he got to faaip de oiad. aso through the titles of the tracks (I forget some of the details and steps in there) but by Doing this he also found out that the last few letters in each title can spell out "tool lateralus" when put in this order... I listened but passed him off as being an overly obsessed fan until curiously I tried putting it in this order and went back and re-visited the album and well... it flows pretty damn awesomely

TL;DR obsessive fan suggested this order claiming fibbonaci tie-ins as to why he ordered it that way... I tired it, it sounds awesome, maybe he's right?

Here's the order:

disposiTion

reflectiOn

faaip de Oiad

ticks and Leeches

lateraLus

triAd

manTra

thE patient

the gRudge

parAbol

paraboLa

eon blUe apocalypse

schiSm

Edited by ghOsty

that is why i find boc and tool so similar. their love for the occult/mysteriousness/not talking/etc leaves it wide open for total speculation by rapid fanboys creating all kinds of conspiracies that the band (more than likely) did not intend. personally, i cant listen to lateralus in any different order than the one they presented it in. i have to think that is how they wanted it to flow.

same goes with combining the different tracks to play at the same time from 10,000 days. seems a bit like nonsense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

so Maynard is back from his honeymoon, this year's wine is bottled, puscifer and apc are quiet...dude better be killing it with the boys tying everything together to hit the real studio.

there's not much to understand. I see it as a creative outlet where Maynard has complete control. there are tons of rotating musicians and artists. not to mention shirts, coffee, dog toys, etc random stuff. it seems to be a catch all for a lot of things that don't fit anywhere else but still belong somewhere in some context.

I wasn't big on the first album but the remixes produced some fun stuff. the new album however, I find it absolutely fantastic. the harmonies between him and carina are wonderful especially on tumbleweed. the album is 100% better than the first in almost every aspect. and it's just fun!

try not to take it so serious maybe? but if you don't like it, well, you don't like it.