IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

I honestly think this next album,if it does come out will be the last tool release. I don't think Maynard's in the same mindset as he was when previous tool was written at all anymore, I didn't care much for 10k days and I think this is one of the reasons why. 10kdays felt more like tool parodying itself.

Edited by ghOsty

10kdays felt more like tool parodying itself.

that's what i've always felt about it, so i was extremely disappointed when i waited for so damn long to get an album with about 3 good tracks on it. maynard definitely seemed to phone in the lyrics on it too, which was pretty uncool.

so i would say i'm more interested in seeing what's next but not really excited. i would love for tool to end out their career on a much better album than 10k days; they're too good of a bad to quit on a dud.

• 2 weeks later...

Interview with Adam Jones about the Opiate reissue, but also a mention about the new album:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/interview-tool-guitarist-and-visual-guru-adam-jones-on-the-making-and-reissue-of-opiate.html

Are there bonus tracks on this thing?
There are no bonus tracks. It’s the original CD in new packaging. We’re writing right now, so there’s not really the time to readdress that stuff. That’s why we’re not making that many. If it was a bigger commercial thing, there might be an expanded version.

You mentioned earlier that you guys are in writing mode. What’s the status of new Tool music?

I guess you wouldn’t be doing your job if you didn’t ask. [Laughs] It’s unfortunate that we haven’t put anything out in a while, but you know, we’ve changed as a band. It’s just like a marriage—you grow older, people change, and you’ve gotta adapt or move on. We’ve become even more eclectic and distant, so getting things done and getting together is very hard. There are a lot of other interests. But what I really want people to know is that it’s not a bad thing. I’m serious. I think there’s a little more respect now, and when there’s compromise, it’s a little more open. I don’t know if that’s just a matter of getting older and going, “Ah, fuck it,” or what. [Laughs]

I’ve been with these guys a long time, and we’ve outlasted all of our peers. I mean, I try to think of the bands we came up with that haven’t broken up or broken up and gotten back together, and I can’t think of one band. OK, the Melvins. But that’s it. And we kind of set that up early by deciding that no matter who does what we’re gonna split everything four ways. Some decisions have to be unanimous. Others are put to a vote. We’re really involved in the business side. We write our own checks. But as far as the writing? It’s been a little more lax—as in relaxed. But it’s nice. We live kind of cushy lives now, so we get together when we want. It makes everything go slow, which is unfortunate—we all would have liked to have been done with a new record a long time ago—but when it’s done, it’s gonna be good. And that’s the point. We’re not gonna put out something that sucks just to put it out. We also had two really bad things happen, things that I’m not gonna get into, that set us back emotionally and mentally. But we’re past them now, everybody’s recovered, and that process has kind of actually added to us focusing on being creative. So maybe sometimes bad things happen for a reason.

Okay, this is bullshit. Not the interview, But this fucking quote system and the fucking copy/paste shit that gives this black shit that I CAN'T GET RID OFF really fucks up the whole readability. Annoying. Wtf watmm.

Just turn on/off(?) the BBCode mode, the little switch top left and edit all the useless shit away.

I wonder what those bad things are they've mentioned. But whatever, a new album is on the way some time. I hope it's more experimental.

Edited by azatoth

no time for extras on the opiate re-release? uh, why?

that is bs.

i think they are kind of in the boc realm, no matter what they put out, it cant stand up to the years of hype. they are going on 7 years since their last release. and as much of a tool fan i am, 10k days was a bit lackluster.

My biggest problem with 10k was the brickwalled sound. They said they listend to a lot of stuff like Meshuggah around the time of writing, and I blame that band for influencing Tool to how 10k turned out.

Tool and BoC have a same sort of mind trajectory for me (whatever a mind trajectory maybe lol). Anyway....

Both bands appeared on my radar, I sort of liked them but didn't really understand them fully so could quite happily put them to sleep for ages. Soooner or later though I'd get a whisper in my brain to pull out the albums again and have another dip. Once again there would be this sort of Beerwolf mindset of 'fuck this hippy nonsense why don't you just go for the fucking jugular!' yet again I would shelve them for ages only to bring them out again and the listening periods would get longer and more intensense.

Lataralus is definately a true classic. No doubt. Like BOC, Tool on their day just tweak those brain fibres that most other bands can't or will ever reach. I definately care more for the new BoC record than Tool, however I think the realm that BoC occupy of being far removed from whats going on in the world with music and not releasing new music might serve the Scots better. Don't ask me why, its just my opinion!!!

Yeah, the brickwalling bothered me and there was some clipping in a few of the tracks. I would think a band like Tool wouldn't allow that kind of shit, considering how well produced and great sounding Lateralus is. It's all Joe Barresi's fault. Although I did like that they went for a more stoner rock sound, but brickwalling it ruined it a bit.

Edited by azatoth

They should get David Botrill to produce again, or hell maybe even Sylvia Massy it'd be cool to hear her bring back the big low-end heavy sound they had in Undertow

I like how Adam talks about outlasting all bands from early 90s. deftones have put out 4 albums since lateralus and 3 if them are better than 10k days.

come on Adam. outlasting people? you have 4 studio albums in 22 years! lol

Aenima is the best for me, would love them to go back to more of that darker sound and less hippy bullshit. thought 10k was still good and had a couple of amazing tracks on it but yeah overall it's their poorest effort

Thing is I dont mind the wait with Tool cause they have always took their sweet time but I'm certain that the new album will see the light of day in the end, where as new BOC and even new Aphex Twin am not so sure.

I like how Adam talks about outlasting all bands from early 90s. deftones have put out 4 albums since lateralus and 3 if them are better than 10k days.

come on Adam. outlasting people? you have 4 studio albums in 22 years! lol

their heads have obviously gotten way too big. they've been revered and almost worshipped and it finally is taking a toll on them. i loved that part in that above interview excerpt about how they're all rich and made now...i mean, good for them, i love their music and they deserve success, but does he hear himself?

That Bohemian Rhapsody video delivers. The cover not so much. It's always a bummer to hear great singers autotuned to shit when it's obviously unnecessary (just do a few takes to get it on pitch FFS), and I was really looking forward to hearing him belt out those high notes, but instead of doing the main melody he opted for replacing it with a lower harmony. And THAT was the most original thing about it --too bad because the original melody is pretty much as close to being perfect as any vocal melody has ever been. I was hoping they might put a new spin on the rest of it but leave the vocals mostly intact... kind of the reverse of what happened. But yeah, video delivers.

Also, Aenima is one of the top 5 rock albums of all time. I'm not even sure what the other 4 are.

I love 10K Days. I wonder if that's influenced by the fact that I heard most of the tracks live before I got the album and when I listen to the album it takes me back to an amazing evening... But yeah, I think it's a fantastic release.

I feel like I'm the only one :(

i like it, it just was not really worth that long of a wait. theres really only 6 or 7 songs. that is not enough.

rosetta stoned is one of my fav tool songs however.

Okay, this is bullshit. Not the interview, But this fucking quote system and the fucking copy/paste shit that gives this black shit that I CAN'T GET RID OFF really fucks up the whole readability. Annoying. Wtf watmm.

Is Adam or the interviewer saying that part?

Is Adam or the interviewer saying that part?

They both said it simultaneously. Well, first they said "No, you go first. No you. No you" for about 15 minutes. Also simultaneously. Kinda wierd. One of those one in a trillion cosmic chances. This moment has inspired a few new Alex Grey paintings that are totally whoa dude like far out bro, and the next Tool album title: 10,000 Simultani Sentencus.