IGNORED

CAN - The Lost Tapes

Redruth

" Can was formed by ex-student of Stockhausen Irmin Schmidt, who, fired by the sounds of Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa abandoned his career in classic music to form a group which could utilise and transcend all boundaries of ethnic, electronic experimental and modern classical music."

" Can’s influence is well known and far-reaching and the impact they made on music is felt today as keenly as it ever has been. They themselves have always been impossible to classify and reflecting this, the scope of artists who in recent years have cited Can as a major influence is varied from John Lydon to Radiohead, The Fall to Portishead."

" With a phenomenal cannon of work that includes Tago Mago, which celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 2011, The Lost Tapes is an opportunity to hear unreleased material from this iconic band – whoever thought that would be possible? "

http://mute.com/can/...lease-june-19th

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

the scope of artists who in recent years have cited Can as a major influence is varied from John Lydon to Radiohead, The Fall to Portishead."

not exactly the most diverse of bands...sure they could have plucked some names of bands not so obvious

It's a blasphemy that I have never acquainted myself with Can.

Obviously I need to punch myself in the face.

let me know if you need any help with that

:wink:

:wink:

haha considering the fact i was joking, definitely curious what the pre-edit post was. anyway, i can't really pick favorites—can has really standout tracks for me, but I feel like they're spread across the same releases you mentioned, usagi. I think Aspectacle might be on a later release of theirs, but goddamn, so good too.

AND IT WAS SAMPLED BY MADLIB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tepOV5co4

:cat:

Have only listened to a little bit of Can but Tago Mago is one of my favorite albums to get high to. I've also never found anything quite like Can. I just really like the idea that they just picked up their singer from the streets and they all got high and recorded shit.

The one critique I have with Tago Mago is the VERY abstract tracks Aumgn and Peking O. I listen to the whole album through every time, of course, those tracks just feel like the lowest point, like the listener is so fucked up on hallucinogens that he/she can't even comprehend the music they're hearing. Probably my favorite tracks would go to Mushroom and Oh Yeah

Guest Hanratty

Tago Mago is a classic example of psychedelic music, like if you took the state of being high and turned it into a record

I was listening to "Hallelujah" yesterday (the long one with the constant drumming) while driving through some dangerous city traffic. Something about those drums just kept me alert through it all.

To KY

It was a challenge to a duel !!!

In fact you post really made me lol, that was all, it honestly made me chuckle.

IN THAT CASE, CONSIDER IT ON *GLOVE SLAP*

edit: lol

Guest capitan mission

I discovered Can 8 years ago, and I was hooked instantly. "Soundtracks",not a proper album, is my favorite Can lp.

In some things they are very similar to Velvet Underground (one of my all time favorites)

I vote Ege Bamyasi as a favourite for me. Vitamin C (which got a excellent rework by UNKLE years later on Sacrilege) was my first touch to work with rhythm again.

• 2 months later...

http://boomkat.com/cds/513909-can-the-lost-tapes

https://bleep.com/release/37138

This release is ridiculously amazing.

If you are a fan of early Can, you are going to wet yourself once you hear this.

It is unbelievable that this music was just hanging around in their studio all these years.

article from Boomkat:

**Limited edition 3CD set in a vinyl-sized 10"x10" box containing 30 unreleased tracks and 28-page booklet with exclusive notes by Irmin Schmidt and Ian Harrison housed in vintage reel-style box** "The Lost Tapes was curated by Irmin Schmidt and Daniel Miller, compiled by Irmin Schmidt and Jono Podmore, and edited by Jono Podmore. When the legendary Can studio in Weilerswist was sold to the German Rock N Pop Museum, they bought everything, including the army mattresses that covered the walls for sound protection, and relocated it to Gronau. Whilst dismantling the studio, master tapes were found and stored in the Spoon archive. With barely legible labelling, no one was sure what was on these until Irmin Schmidt and long time collaborator Jono Podmore started to go through over 30 hours of music. What they found was years of archived material, not outtakes, but rather tracks which had been shelved for a variety of reasons - soundtracks to films that were never released and tracks that didn't make it onto the final versions of albums due to space.Irmin Schmidt explains "Obviously the tapes weren't really lost, but were left in the cupboards of the studio archives for so long everybody just forgot about them. Everybody except Hildegard, who watches over Can and its work like the dragon over the gold of the Nibelungen and doesn't allow forgetting." The final cut of tracks, dating from 1968-1977, features studio material recorded at Schloss Nörvenich and Can Studio, Weilerswist with the Can line up of Holger Czukay on bass, Michael Karoli on guitars, Jaki Liebezeit on drums and Irmin Schmidt on keyboards, and on most tracks, vocals from Malcolm Mooney or Damo Suzuki. Can's influence is well known and far-reaching and the impact they made on music is felt today as keenly as it ever has been. They themselves have always been impossible to classify and reflecting this, the scope of artists who in recent years have cited Can as a major influence is varied from John Lydon to Radiohead, The Fall to Portishead. With a phenomenal canon of work that includes Tago Mago, which celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 2011 (the anniversary release was awarded 5* from MOJO, Uncut, Artrocker and Record Collector), The Lost Tapes is an opportunity to hear unreleased material from this iconic band - whoever thought that would be possible?"

essential for Can fans.

Can-The-Lost-Tapes-e1333044625980.jpg

Guest zaphod

heard one of the tracks. it's...can. it sounds a lot like tago mago. very groovy.

and i actually like cool in the pool. great summer track!

• 2 weeks later...

bit of a let down

i wouldn't go so far as to say that it's a let down- like someone else said, it's can. my personally opinion is that it's a little overwhelming and will take some time to really give the album an honest listen.

Archived