IGNORED

Aphex Twin interviews thread

ZoeB

Hi!

Is there a thread anywhere that brings together all the different interviews and press releases that Aphex Twin (under his various aliases) has given? I had a brief look in the archives and the closest I could find was a broken link to a .doc file. Magazine scan-ins would be preferable as it's less likely they've been mistranscribed.

I only ask because seeing his April 1993 interview with Future Music in another thread here a while back is partly responsible for me getting back to my "sample all the things!" roots, helping me shed that unhelpful gear lust and rekindling even more of my early passion for music making. That and I'm working on an article charting the various memes he uses, sprinkling it with the odd relevant quote about his process and methodology.

Thanks!

Oh, I agree aphextwin.nu is a fantastic resource! I'm just looking for scan-ins and preferably some more recent material too.

afx-interview-misc-01.jpg

afx-interview-misc-02.jpg

afx-interview-2010-10-part-1.jpg

afx-interview-2010-10-part-2.jpg

I'm only asking this here because the topic only comes up in interviews - are there any pictures/videos of Richard's sub? I have yet to see any, would be neat. Though maybe this is more fitting in rare pics, I dunno.

Edited by Ando

Just so long as this doesn't turn into another creepy stalking thread. I care about his music, not his personal life.

Hey ZoeB, don't mean to be a party pooper but most of his interviews consist of lies and bullshit. So you might as well conduct an Aphex interview in your own head as it would have the same relevance.

I'd admit the last interview he did (for AM) seemed have a few more grains of truth in it but on the whole who really cares of Aphex interviews? I don't mean to be harsh, just sayin...

Regards,

BW

Hey ZoeB, don't mean to be a party pooper but most of his interviews consist of lies and bullshit. So you might as well conduct an Aphex interview in your own head as it would have the same relevance.

I'd admit the last interview he did (for AM) seemed have a few more grains of truth in it but on the whole who really cares of Aphex interviews? I don't mean to be harsh, just sayin...

Regards,

BW

The only part of your statement I agree with is that he has been known to lie in interviews, even compulsively some might say, altho I still say it's interesting. Some interviews consist of more bullshit than others, but for some it can be fun to sort fact from fiction (or try) like discovering that certain track titles are anagrams, or finding out that a different alias was actually RDJ, or finding a random track that wasn't released on an album... etc. There isn't much known about this artist compared to most who are as 'popular' as him, so any info some might find interesting, fake or not it's for the reader to decide, not for beerwolf to say it's all irrelevant. Then again everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that was mine.

This is the first time I heard of the Frank Sidebottom stunt on TV. It seems like there was a video of it on YouTube, but the account was closed. I'm not british and I didn't know who Sidebottom was, but for those who've seen it, was it cool?

These are great ZoeB, I've actually seen these referenced yet never read them. It's nice to see that he liked The Fall, I had read that on wikipedia when I first started listening to him, but never saw it sourced. It also lead me to try listening to that band, but beyond a compilation I never really got into them (John Peel liked them too, another reason I checked them out).

I love reading all the stuff about the equipment in the Future Music interview. Partly bullshit or not, it's inspiring stuff.

This is the first time I heard of the Frank Sidebottom stunt on TV. It seems like there was a video of it on YouTube, but the account was closed. I'm not british and I didn't know who Sidebottom was, but for those who've seen it, was it cool?

saved it awhile back, here you go mate:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xd3rix

It was on youtube for a bit. It was interesting I suppose. It is hard for him to not come off as an asshole though.

I like how he answered the question about his girlfriend's sister singing on MSM + SMM. It was nice. It also made listening to it just now that much better.

I bought that Another Man interview off the internet because the one I found posted only had the second page. I think that is originally why I joined these forums. I was trying to figure out if there was more Aphex and if he was going to release a new album.

My favorite thing about reading interviews though is because it keeps me motivated to make music. It's really easy to get lazy when it isn't your source of income. It keeps me wanting to test myself and try weird things.

Edited by AdieuErsatzEnnui

UZXbc.jpg

s9leT.jpg

Regards,

BW

The only part of your statement I agree with is that he has been known to lie in interviews, even compulsively some might say, altho I still say it's interesting. Some interviews consist of more bullshit than others, but for some it can be fun to sort fact from fiction (or try) like discovering that certain track titles are anagrams, or finding out that a different alias was actually RDJ, or finding a random track that wasn't released on an album... etc. There isn't much known about this artist compared to most who are as 'popular' as him, so any info some might find interesting, fake or not it's for the reader to decide, not for beerwolf to say it's all irrelevant. Then again everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that was mine.

Agreed.

Just so long as this doesn't turn into another creepy stalking thread. I care about his music, not his personal life.

just admit you want to jump on his pants like every single one of us

Edited by Kanakori

just admit you want to jump on his pants like every single one of us

I'm not really attracted to guys, sorry to disappoint... In terms of career, I want to be like him. I don't want to be with him. I don't care about him at all, outside of the context of music making.

That's a good point, and maybe it's silly hero worship on my part, but hearing (OK, reading) him talk about how he achieved a unique sound because he couldn't afford to use the same equipment as other people really resonated with me about how I used to make music, and why my own music used to sound weird compared to how it now sounds comparatively bland in some ways. It just helped give me the push into getting back into more experimental and idiosyncratic sounds. Hearing him talking about sampling various unique sounds of his and sequencing samples of almost everything on an FZ-10M -- surely not the most coveted equipment -- really drove home to me what I already knew but wasn't properly feeling, that it really is what you're doing, not what equipment you're doing it with.