IGNORED

BoC Ringtones... On MTV!

Joyrex

Guest The Mekon

They are (with a couple of exceptions) extremely well done, though. And you probably need to get over this "oh no, my favourite band is vaguely popular" thing. It doesn't really matter. I am sure that BoC would love to be on MTV.

Excellent, I think that's pretty cool! (although I haven't heard them yet and can't see them replacing Gary Numan - Cars as my ringtone)

Where is that ''beautiful country'' track from?

i assume it's from "In a Beautiful Place Out in The Country" but i haven't listened to it.

Guest Jack.GG

I have the roygbiv midi from the yahoo group as my ringtone, but the beat doesn't come in until it's gone to the answerphone, so it's hard to hear. Oh well

Guest twiddler
They are (with a couple of exceptions) extremely well done, though. And you probably need to get over this "oh no, my favourite band is vaguely popular" thing. It doesn't really matter. I am sure that BoC would love to be on MTV.

Well, I would love to see the Dayvan Cowboy video on MTV, I'd probably throw a party if that ever happens, but these ringtones are pretty bad actually. They play the real notes probably, but how can you make a midi version of the decayed textures - the idea was bad. There's barely a resemblance to the original on most of them.

Guest The Mekon
I have the roygbiv midi from the yahoo group as my ringtone, but the beat doesn't come in until it's gone to the answerphone, so it's hard to hear. Oh well

Why not edit it?

And you probably need to get over this "oh no, my favourite band is vaguely popular" thing. It doesn't really matter. I am sure that BoC would love to be on MTV.

agreed.

boc have given us a decade's worth of great music and profited very little from it. why would any of their fans object if they had a chance to cash-in a little on their talent and hard work?

"selling out" only occurs when you change your music for the sake of increased revenues. as far as i can tell, boc haven't done that.

Guest Jack.GG
Why not just use MP3s as ringtones?

I know if i used a ringtone on my phone that's what I'd do.

My 'phone isn't new enough to do that

Why not edit it?

Yeah I will when I get the chance. I'm not at a helpful computer for a few more days

Guest chromakey_dreamcoat

Arg, I cannot preview! The Sunshine Recorder ringtone seems amazing to hear!!! A Telephasic Workshop ringtone would be funny! :grin:

Guest boozie

I really thought they had more class than this. All the griping and complaining 'we can't release an album unless the high-hat has had 5+ days spent on it' and then they willfully put out some shit like this. The ringtones sound like crap, basically like the 1mill other boring ringtones out there. If you can't tell I thought the last album was boring. I've been a fan since 99, waited with baited breath until geogaddi came out but I was seriously disappointed with what came out after four years of waiting. Not like my opinion really matters or anything but their career has taken a turn for the worse if this is the kind of quality they'd like to put out. Just check the mirror lake remix for a creative use of guitars or the even the wouldn't you like to be free clip and alpha and omega or you could touch the sky for some inspired and interesting use of drums and rhythm. I listen to a lot of different music so I'd like to think I have a pretty open mind to anything new and creative. Maybe my expectations were too high I just got disappointed, but these ringtones are just so.. I guess I'm just sad for what could have been. Where are the flutes I was expecting from the old 2001 clips on their site, what happened to trails or sevenfourtyseven, the rumors of them getting a sitar?... they could have sampled tabla drums or anything other than what they did. Another questions where are the samples from old shows or any misc audio samples? What about things like reversing dandelion to find a beautiful melody, it was about the music man.. don't tell me otherwise.

it's not like these are for sale on www.boardsofcanada.com. i mean, it is the mtv.com site. surely they just pay boc a fee and produce the ringtones themselves?

it's one thing to question boc attaching their name to these, it's another to assume they actually physically produced them.

cash in i say. why shouldn't they?

I really thought they had more class than this. All the griping and complaining 'we can't release an album unless the high-hat has had 5+ days spent on it' and then they willfully put out some shit like this. The ringtones sound like crap, basically like the 1mill other boring ringtones out there. If you can't tell I thought the last album was boring. I've been a fan since 99, waited with baited breath until geogaddi came out but I was seriously disappointed with what came out after four years of waiting. Not like my opinion really matters or anything but their career has taken a turn for the worse if this is the kind of quality they'd like to put out. Just check the mirror lake remix for a creative use of guitars or the even the wouldn't you like to be free clip and alpha and omega or you could touch the sky for some inspired and interesting use of drums and rhythm. I listen to a lot of different music so I'd like to think I have a pretty open mind to anything new and creative. Maybe my expectations were too high I just got disappointed, but these ringtones are just so.. I guess I'm just sad for what could have been. Where are the flutes I was expecting from the old 2001 clips on their site, what happened to trails or sevenfourtyseven, the rumors of them getting a sitar?... they could have sampled tabla drums or anything other than what they did. Another questions where are the samples from old shows or any misc audio samples? What about things like reversing dandelion to find a beautiful melody, it was about the music man.. don't tell me otherwise.

BOC didn't produce ringtones for MTV's website. That would be ridiculous. When a band has a recording/publishing deal there are a lot of things done with their music that the band has no knowledge of, such as synchronisation on gardening programmes etc.

Bloody hell, Dylans gone electric again, lets start a bonfire and burn our boc albums!

BOC didn't produce ringtones for MTV's website. That would be ridiculous. When a band has a recording/publishing deal there are a lot of things done with their music that the band has no knowledge of, such as synchronisation on gardening programmes etc.

thanks for the info, even if came at the expense of your ultra cool 6010 post count.

i don't pretend to believe that our society is meritocracy, but if N Sync can amass enough wealth to last the rest of their lives, why shouldn't people with some actual talent who produce something interesting be rewarded in kind? if boc can make enough money to be able to focus on making music full time, we all benefit.

Guest cosmonaut
"BoC Ringtones... On MTV!, Is this a sign of the end times?" My answer is, HELL NO.

thank christ you posted in this thread

And you probably need to get over this "oh no, my favourite band is vaguely popular" thing. It doesn't really matter. I am sure that BoC would love to be on MTV.

agreed.

boc have given us a decade's worth of great music and profited very little from it. why would any of their fans object if they had a chance to cash-in a little on their talent and hard work?

"selling out" only occurs when you change your music for the sake of increased revenues. as far as i can tell, boc haven't done that.

did you read the pitchfork interview? i think they actually said themselves, that is what they did.

anyway, waiting for the dayvan cowboy video to appear on trl.

Archived