IGNORED

Im looking for a sample pack of unusual percussion sounds

pcock

If you have a mic, I would highly recommend recording your own unusual percussion sounds. it is IDM tradition after all, and it prevents Kontakt Syndrome (having obnoxiously recognizable samples.) I mean, if you're trying to add uniqueness/strangeness to your music, using samples that loads of other people have also used in their music is going to have the opposite effect.

If you don't have a way to record, and you don't mind somewhat poor quality (old sm-57with some freq. roll-off on the lower end) I will make you a sample pack. I quite enjoy going around and seeing what kind of sounds I can make various objects make, and I have a decent amount of real percussion instruments as well.

I second the record your own percussion advice. If you spend a month doing it every day, you end up with like a decade of material to parse through. Helps you get out of the house too.

Agreed. Even with a cheap and noisy setup, the noise can become an integral part of the sound. One person's undesirable side effect is another person's cool hipster effect.

My partner and I were recording a toy spring today, for example. It's a nice source of Kraftwerk style gulp pulses. I have no idea what the technical term is. Quick downward oscillator sweeps, basically. (It's pretty much what Ben Burtt used for the Star Wars guns.) Actual percussion's far easier, and pretty much anything in the kitchen is a good starting point.

cheers guys, i havent got a mic. im stuck on a shitty computer with an internal sound card and ableton + a couple of softsynths atm, its starting to get to me. im choking for some cash to buy some half decent gear but it will have to wait.

cheers guys, i havent got a mic. im stuck on a shitty computer with an internal sound card and ableton + a couple of softsynths atm, its starting to get to me. im choking for some cash to buy some half decent gear but it will have to wait.

Make some money, buy a mic. I need to do this, too, actually.

I have, on occasion, incorporated instruments into the background of a track using my computer's built-in microphone. It worked surprisingly well. Hell, the first few hundred tracks I wrote used little more than a £3 Maplin microphone and a few old synths. The important thing is to practice making the actual music. You can always swap out samples later.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Shitty microphones can work if you know how to shape sounds with EQ and quality tools to get them to not seem tiny brittle digital poopy. I prefer to use a decent sounding microphone with a quality pre amp in a good sounding room anytime I record anything.

best acoustics are in your bathroom, dawg.

Seriously, I recorded the radiator from String Soda in the bathroom, and the background noise just becomes an element you can twist and degrade as if it's there on purpose. It's your mindset, not your physical toolset.

...the background noise just becomes an element you can twist and degrade as if it's there on purpose. It's your mindset, not your physical toolset.

QFT.

you can still use the samples you already have and tweak them, experiment with effects etc. the process is sometimes more important than the samples you start from.

you can still use the samples you already have and tweak them, experiment with effects etc. the process is sometimes more important than the samples you start from.

yeah im down with that, pretty much every track on any tune i make is using 3-10 different filters, compressors and various effects.

Here's a pack I put together a while ago:

http://pselodux.com/collab/modey%27s%20iphone%20samples.rar

Can't remember what's on it, but I'm pretty sure it contains a bunch of samples from the printing place where I used to work, of various printers and finishing equipment. And probably some samples of my stomach rumbling too. The iphone's mic is amazing!

Archived