Selected Ambient Works Volume II Cassette

Guest C90

Thought you guys might be interested in this item -

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Volume II - Double Cassette Release

(Apologies for the size of the images).

Cover.jpg

Insert.jpg

Cassettes.jpg

This cassette release contains Track C7 (Stone In Focus) which is also available on the vinyl

release (I picked up the black vinyl release from a car boot sale for about £2 couple of years back;

not in the best condition, but still a good buy).

Anyway, can't find much information on this release, so thought I'd share these images.

Someone has provided scans on Discogs (No copies available for sale though), but here are some

more pics anyway. I picked this up on Amazon.co.uk, and I also managed to purchase 'Classics' on tape via Amazon (I think). I Don't know how many fans of the cassette format there are on this forum, but I personally think they sound pretty good on a half decent audio system.

Lately, I've been wondering what the value of this item might be; Might not sell for as much as

the vinyl edition, but could still fetch a good price amongst collectors...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got both cassettes too, I've bought Classics on cassette twice because it was only 2 pounds. For SAW II I payed about 10 pounds I think? Also got ICBYD on cassette. I'm searching for other aphex cassettes but they're pretty rare!

Good stuff, £2 for 'Classics' is a bargain.

'Mookid' from ICBYD probably sounds excellent on cassette played through a good audio system (as would the rest of the album).

Disregarding promo material (and original copies of Melodies From Mars on cassette, assuming they exist), I reckon trying to track down a cassette copy of Selected Ambient Works 85-92 would be pretty difficult.

I have a couple of other Warp Records releases on cassette, second most cherished being a promo copy of 'Draft 7.30' by Autechre (it was the only promotional format they released that album in), and a Sabres Of Paradise release - 'Haunted Dancehall.'

i had a japanese cassette for drukqs, with all the titles clearly written out & a nice red inlay. sold it on ebay, didn't really make me much profit on what i managed to find it for.

here it is http://www.discogs.c...release/2344771

wow, never saw that before

Good stuff, £2 for 'Classics' is a bargain.

'Mookid' from ICBYD probably sounds excellent on cassette played through a good audio system (as would the rest of the album).

Disregarding promo material (and original copies of Melodies From Mars on cassette, assuming they exist), I reckon trying to track down a cassette copy of Selected Ambient Works 85-92 would be pretty difficult.

I have a couple of other Warp Records releases on cassette, second most cherished being a promo copy of 'Draft 7.30' by Autechre (it was the only promotional format they released that album in), and a Sabres Of Paradise release - 'Haunted Dancehall.'

I've got the SAW 85-92 and SAWII cassettes, ICBYD, Classics, SOSW and Pac Man and the Secret Tracks 2 comp with 'Phlid' there are a few more I'm looking for as well like RDJ album & Mike and Rich, the cassettes are harder to track down it seems, I got the SAW 85-92 and ICBYD on discogs from the same seller for £10 each

i wonder where all the tapes went so now they're pretty much the rarest of the rare. i somehow can't imagine thre being, like, 100 printed so that they would so scarcely resurface. never even seen anything beside pac-man on ebay. were there a mass afx tapes burning or what? i see some reckless records flaming lips tapes popping up (i even bought one) but never anythin from afx or warp in general (aside from lfo). maybe i'm not looking hard enough, but discogs is pretty empty as well.

That is a pretty sweet cassette collection, I can even see a bit of DMX Crew in amongst the Aphex - and Analogue Bubblebath on cassette, complete with old-school artwork!

Seems you guys have got some gems in amongst your collections, but the market does seem to be pretty dry, Lets start a revival (although there already appears to be one amongst some small underground labels.)

I suppose there is an element of nostalgia for those that grew up with tapes, but there is a genuine warmth to cassette recordings, and if your audio system allows for equalization, you can tweak the frequencies a bit to bring out the bass, top up the mids a bit, and smooth out the higher frequencies.

Anyway, good to see some cassette love, brings a tear to my spool shaped eye.

I also have SAW2 on cassette. It really is the perfect medium for that early RDJ sound, particularly the synths used on this album. Listening to Parallel Stripes with genuine tape hiss and a bit of distortion is pure goodness...

I love cassettes for both the sound and physical format. I would love to have that Aphex cassette collection!

Speaking of, I bought a cassette of a release someone from here put out years ago, but have since lost it :sad: . Had/has a track on it with that radio talk show host reading that nutjobs pamphlet about "earphone radio slavery, and con-artist parroting puppet gangster playboy scum" that VSnares sampled in Americanized... someone help me out here...

do you guys crank your tapes all the way up or these are just bad presses that you hear any hiss? tape-quality paranoia is silly.

If you havin' hiss problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but that Nakamichi means that is definitely not one of them.

UTRde.jpg

do you guys crank your tapes all the way up or these are just bad presses that you hear any hiss? tape-quality paranoia is silly.

If you havin' hiss problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but that Nakamichi means that is definitely not one of them.

UTRde.jpg

oh muh jesus

how much and where do i get one?

Archived