IGNORED

Selected Ambient Works Volume II Cassette

Guest C90

Holy shit @ having a cassette of Powerpill always on hand in your car. That's so baller.

So guys, I really want a good cassette deck, are there any deals to be had? Any rules of thumb for what might be "diamonds in the rough" decks if you see them in Goodwill stores, vs. which brands to avoid?

Look for a high end Pioneer/Marantz that need belts replacing or has a minor default.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy shit @ having a cassette of Powerpill always on hand in your car. That's so baller.

So guys, I really want a good cassette deck, are there any deals to be had? Any rules of thumb for what might be "diamonds in the rough" decks if you see them in Goodwill stores, vs. which brands to avoid?

Holy shit @ your use of "baller" to describe the situation, which was by far the best and zaniest usage ive witnessed yet :D

Look for a high end Pioneer/Marantz that need belts replacing or has a minor default.

my step dad acquired a few high end cassette decks, the way he described them they were very expensive and cream of the crop.. he never told me about them and sold them all. fuck, i'm a bit bitter, not that i play tapes often but i like nice gear.

• 1 year later...
Guest gillianom1

i have posted for sale cassettes of aphex twin selected ambient works II -and 85-92 on uk ebay now! go look :-)

gillianom1

here they are ......

• 1 year later...
Guest cristianha

i have the SAW2 double cassette.

it sounds beautiful and I prefer it over the CD, i don't know why but in this format I feel much more connected to the music.

stone in focus is absolutely amazing

I also love the cassette format. I got some Aphex Twin tapes from the 90s (SAW I + II, Classics). A couple of weeks ago I made a C90 cassette with Syro and CCAI2. It's nice to hear those two releases on a classic format.

Guest rd1994

How much do the Aphex Cassetes (and while were at it the Autechre cassettes too) usually go for?

Guest cristianha

Aphex twin cassettes are really hard to find. I recently purchased Surfing on sine waves for $19...that was good, since I can't afford the vinyl.

Here are some pictures of my copy of SAW2.

Saw it for $75 on ebay a few months ago....still cheaper than the Brown vinyl version that supposedly sounds like crap.

post-19146-0-77153200-1431050972_thumb.jpg

post-19146-0-98829100-1431051017_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cristianha

recently won 2 bids on ebay:

10.9 USD for Richard d james Cass

10.9 USD for I care because you do Cass

Lucky!

Still need a couple to complete my cassette collection, mainly AB1, SAW I and RDJ Album, and the impossible to find Japanese promo cassette for Drukqs, but the latter is only for sale for €1500,-.

PM me if you want to get rid of them :)

Lucky!

Still need a couple to complete my cassette collection, mainly AB1, SAW I and RDJ Album, and the impossible to find Japanese promo cassette for Drukqs, but the latter is only for sale for €1500,-.

PM me if you want to get rid of them :)

$200 US each.

I guess ebay is the best bet. Around 3-400 squands, but you wont be disappointed. Unless you feel that could be spent more wisely.

i am unemploy my wallet is flaw

:sad:

in the US there is a private selling forum/community for snake oily overly rich audiophiles - audiogon, probably the best place I've seen to snatch up a nakamichi for cheap. Check to see if a similar community exists in the UK (maybe a lot of people on there are outside of the US, its been years since I browsed). Also chances of a fucked up tape player on ebay in general are much higher than these audiophile communities, the people on them tend to know the ins and outs of a machine to be able to tell you confidently everything works about it

The only righteous cassette I have now is BlechI

might have Artificial Intelligence I somewhere...

would love that SAWII... STONE IN FOCUS!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I guess ebay is the best bet. Around 3-400 squands, but you wont be disappointed. Unless you feel that could be spent more wisely.

i am unemploy my wallet is flaw

:sad:

in the US there is a private selling forum/community for snake oily overly rich audiophiles - audiogon, probably the best place I've seen to snatch up a nakamichi for cheap. Check to see if a similar community exists in the UK (maybe a lot of people on there are outside of the US, its been years since I browsed). Also chances of a fucked up tape player on ebay in general are much higher than these audiophile communities, the people on them tend to know the ins and outs of a machine to be able to tell you confidently everything works about it

tapeheads.net is a great resource for research too - I've figured out which makes and models to check out and avoid based on their recommendations

unfortunately finding even cheap but reliable and decent sounding dual tape decks is getting hard, years ago they literally littered thrift stores

My best tape is Lifeforms (which I now have in all three physical formats)... no Aphex sadly. Would absolutely love SAWII though, more than the others it really seems designed for it. The tracks seem to meander in and out of their own fog, so hearing them emerge from the tape noise would be perfect.

The only tape I have that could be considered rare is Corduroi's Anything For Now cassette, which I was pretty shocked to find in a local record shop. I've never seen a Corduroi cassette for sale anywhere online, so it was a great find.

SAW II is the cassette that appears to me in my dreams, though, along with Replica and all those early Boards of Canada ones.

I decided to do it, and I'm recording side 2 right now. I always forget how incredibly trippy the piano in Blur is. It's so perfectly eerie and dreamlike, I can't even begin to express it with words. No music captures the feeling of dreams like this album, that's for sure. This was the soundtrack to my walks through the woods while skipping class in high school, and it'll always be tied to that wonderful period of my life.

I've got a few in my car.

Rvf7h.jpg

How do you acquire such a godly collection?

Time patience... and usually paying over the odds.

I've got more tapes since, including Japanese promo Drukqs version. I started building a photographic info site of my catalogue/merch that was a bit nicer to look at than Discogs but I've lost motivation :/

UGC3qTb.jpg

02yl2TL.jpg

sAq64b3.jpg

Archived