IGNORED

Gatekeeper - Exo

Guest Backson

Guest Backson

I must say, they sound like a totally different band now.

Which is kind of good because I wasn't very fond of Giza.

Guest Backson

Which is kind of good because I wasn't very fond of Giza.

I have the exact opposite feelings you do.

I know they're only clips, but I'm not digging them so far. :cry:

that's fair

I liked the ideas behind Giza, but the production was really ugly for me.

Guest Backson

maybe I'm the only one who had a major issue with the production of that release?

it was just the compression for me. I listen to a lot of heavily compressed music, and love a lot of it, but that's one of the few times I thought "too much". Everything just pumped and breathed funnily, and the beats became mush and had no shape.

but again, it can see what's great about it. it was just that one thing that killed it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jasondonervan

Gave this a listen last night - ermmm... yeah. It's okay, and has some nice enough unexpected squelchy acid touches here and there, but I couldn't shake the feeling that most of it is really samey across all tracks, and wouldn't seem too out of place on a Lo Recordings compilation, circa 1996. I'm a big fan of the Giza EP (production quality aside), but this longplayer is a little dull for my tastes.

Gave this a listen last night - ermmm... yeah. It's okay, and has some nice enough unexpected squelchy acid touches here and there, but I couldn't shake the feeling that most of it is really samey across all tracks, and wouldn't seem too out of place on a Lo Recordings compilation, circa 1996. I'm a big fan of the Giza EP (production quality aside), but this longplayer is a little dull for my tastes.

I wasn't expecting that EBM sound anymore and to be honest the preview at amazon was better at first than the full lenght listening. It sounds like a very stripped The Orb record with some nice hints of warped AI but nothing really special. For that what they announced (a game with the LP- that's instant coolness factor for sure) the sound isn't something special to me at least. I wish they would go back to the style of their remix they did for Games.

Guest Backson

The album's leaked already? How depressing, I can't even see a place to a pre-order the CD...

I get the feeling with Gatekeeper that they take on styles from an "outsider" perspective, like they are just discovering them. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing...

Not a fan of this at all, which is a shame because I loved Giza and the material before it. They're lampooning an era which is still fresh in my mind in a bad way. Sounds like shitty late 90s second rate acid. Hope they don't stick with this style, as it sounds like the music I'm embarrassed I listened to circa freshman year of high school. It's hard to play the nostalgia card for anything older than 10 years old but under 20.

That said, the last track is pretty fun, I wish they experimented more with tracks like this, as all the tracks sound very samey to me.

• 1 month later...

Not a fan of this at all, which is a shame because I loved Giza and the material before it. They're lampooning an era which is still fresh in my mind in a bad way. Sounds like shitty late 90s second rate acid. Hope they don't stick with this style, as it sounds like the music I'm embarrassed I listened to circa freshman year of high school. It's hard to play the nostalgia card for anything older than 10 years old but under 20.

completely agree with you. i almost couldn't believe it the same people behind giza as this sounded almost amateurish. i also agree with Backson in that they sound like they're discovering all this stuff- but this sounds too outdated and in a bad way. i really hope adr focuses more on his solo project instead of this

I remember I was highly awaiting a nice follow upper to Giza and made the same disappointed face as most of you. After listening once again to it I was happy I had not pressed the pre-order button on it. It sounds dates (I bet they intended that) but really on a bad way. That acidlines tweaked inside aren't really fitting well too. They released alternate versions of some tracks on soundcloud which are slighty better.

Too bad, seems HIT has put some effort inside the EXO package. Surely this one will have fans, but for those keeping an eye on another lectrogiallo album this is really a downer.

• 4 months later...

Archived