IGNORED

Say your goodbyes to McGriff in here

Guest Rambo

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zaphod

meh, he was banned before for like two days, wasn't he? i imagine he'll be back at some point. impulse retirement.

wtf??? i dont understand.

fred made me this emoticon like 6 years ago, i'll always treasure it. he is a great artist.

boxaq.gif

BEAK WAILS!!

edit - i'm listening to Amoral Mayor Earwig now - this is a great, timeless album. makes me nostalgic.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

give a wink to swsg for me, frederick.

I shall flol no more forever.

Guest couch

I found watmm looking for info about the ideems.

I stayed because of the lols provided by users like McGriff, among others as well.

:mellow:

WATMM history has become a relative thing around these parts. Seeing that half of the posts get deleted, or otherwise edited. If that was one of Fred's frustrations, I can totally relate.

Guest zaphod

that's a little melodramatic. i've been here since 04 and while this isn't the board's high point, it mostly has to do with the quality of posts and not censorship from the mods. joyrex has put up with a lot of shit when you consider that this is a free community. yeah, it's lame that some posts get deleted or censored, but ultimately, who gives a shit?

Yeah well, quality is typically a subjective thing. Deleting posts or entire threads tend to hit my principle nerves. There's a point where discussions about discussions are unwanted and get deleted - which seem like a rule instead of exception. To me that's a way of killing the community and something totally different to a lack of LOLs.

I can live with some of the deletions. I've made my fair share of crappy posts which -understandably- got deleted as well. But there are enough examples of people having valid discussions, or people aimlessly bantering around without any harm and then someone feels the need to use delete powers.

OK, there were enough examples. There aren't any more, off course.

All the moderation sucks the oxygen out of the air. Bad quality posts can simply be ignored.

But it's a useless discussion. JR's opinion is clear on this. And some people apparently don't care enough, or see higher value in "the greater scheme of things". Whatever that is.

Guest zaphod

i guess this community just isn't very important to me because, as you said, quality is subjective, and the quality of this board has been quite shit for a few years now. so if the mods want to delete a few posts here and there, whatever. i've never had a post edited or censored in the eight years i've been here, even when i was posting from multiple dupes that eventually got banned. i agree that some of the moderation is annoying, but it's just that: annoying. i deal with it. i think fred was irritated by other things, joyrex said something about his family, which is a perfectly understandable reason to get upset, and it was the final straw for him. i doubt he left purely because he's annoyed at "censorship".

i guess this community just isn't very important to me because, as you said, quality is subjective, and the quality of this board has been quite shit for a few years now.

That's fair and all, but it's pretty much a fact that in '04 quality was also a discussion. Quality and "it used to be so much fun" has been a regular part of the ongoing banter from as long as I've been here (around drukqs release). It's part of the WATMM genes. And it only takes one 'happy monday' thread to completely change the boards dynamic.

But like jules said in another thread, we've lost quite a large amount of respected regulars over the years. And in most cases completely unnecessary, imo.

I disagree with the "delete a few posts here and there", btw. But that should be obvious. I wouldn't make a point about it otherwise.

Is there a post count where post numbers and available posts can be compared? It's all in the numbers.

i guess this community just isn't very important to me because, as you said, quality is subjective, and the quality of this board has been quite shit for a few years now. so if the mods want to delete a few posts here and there, whatever. i've never had a post edited or censored in the eight years i've been here, even when i was posting from multiple dupes that eventually got banned. i agree that some of the moderation is annoying, but it's just that: annoying. i deal with it. i think fred was irritated by other things, joyrex said something about his family, which is a perfectly understandable reason to get upset, and it was the final straw for him. i doubt he left purely because he's annoyed at "censorship".

have a look at his leaving signature ( :sleep: ). if you can be bothered and if it hasn't been removed again.

Guest zaphod

i guess this community just isn't very important to me because, as you said, quality is subjective, and the quality of this board has been quite shit for a few years now.

That's fair and all, but it's pretty much a fact that in '04 quality was also a discussion. Quality and "it used to be so much fun" has been a regular part of the ongoing banter from as long as I've been here (around drukqs release). It's part of the WATMM genes. And it only takes one 'happy monday' thread to completely change the boards dynamic.

But like jules said in another thread, we've lost quite a large amount of respected regulars over the years. And in most cases completely unnecessary, imo.

I disagree with the "delete a few posts here and there", btw. But that should be obvious. I wouldn't make a point about it otherwise.

Is there a post count where post numbers and available posts can be compared? It's all in the numbers.

i mean, fair enough. i've been gone for a long time, so this censorship thing is relatively new to me. maybe i missed something. you're right, the meta critiques of the board have been going on forever. for me, the quality of discussion is simply lower. it's mainly because i just don't really like the regulars as much as i used to and a lot of people i enjoyed talking to are gone. most are gone of their own volition.

tauboo: i can't read whatever signature he left. is it saying he left because of censorship? this is probably sacrilegious, but mcgriff was always a bit of a diva. most of the more well known regulars are. he earned that right within the community, but it's a little ridiculous.

I just find it kind of funny that the most heavily moderated thread on this entire forum is the funny pictures thread. I actually haven't seen too many deletions outside of there, but maybe that's because they were deleted. It's a bit annoying in that thread, but how is it outside of there (like not rhetorically, I'm really asking where else significant things have been deleted)?

So Joyrex did another stupid thing?

I try really hard to avoid WATMM politics. The Facebook page is usually just depressing with people posting stuff involving it and there was the whole xltronic episode.

Wiggity-Whack, Jack.

Fred was one of the standout users. Guy knew how to make fun.

Archived