IGNORED

Who has written the most cringe worthy or pretentious Autechre reviews?

awepittance

You want pretentious?

http://thequietus.co...ul-morley-essay

What do Autechre mean ? What are they ? All of the above – it could be. Something else ? Undeniably. There is, fantastically, no end to wondering.

holy... god

a shame, because paul morley is generally a fine journalist.

edit: was also a musician, was in the art of noise iirc

Edited by kaini

I actually like that pitchfork Untilted review because the music is so absurd and funny and baffling in how full-on, uncompromising, inflexible and just completely impenetrable it initially is that it does really provoke an almost hysterical schizophrenic reaction like that. I think it's fitting for the album.

The reviewer acknowledges this and at least provides an honest defence of their their music.

The point is, despite their abstraction over the last few years, Autechre aren't an altogether different beast than when they started. In fact, they're smarter, more refined.

i think that's true.

My point is, I am still moved by this music. Not just the form, not just the hidden beats and seemingly chaotic shifts in meter. I believe artists are those who instinctively recognize the ways of things, and translate them in ways ultimately true to their spirit. Ours is a "seemingly chaotic" world, but underneath the maze of people and opinions, there is order, truth, and beauty. And maybe, just maybe, Autechre have the rare gift of showing us just where we stand, turbulence and all.

And I don't think this is pretentious.

I find gushing praise of Oversteps on here pretty cringe worthy, I'm not going to find examples though. Here's something else, oversteps review from amazon

careful with that FM axe eugene - As the future structural integrity of the Internet is put in doubt by the sheer crushing weight of vociferous argument between the Melodic Nostalgics of old and the Rhythmic Complexity Junkies of later works the world continues to turn. Quality work whichever side of the dividAe you is.

someone else on oversteps from amazon

Oversteps..... Is a strange piece of work. Definitely direful, ominous, bizarre, woesome, gloomy, horrific, arousing, distinct, trigonometric, suspending, miraculous...... Ancient... Beautiful... Somehow Autechre has managed to craft something that is entirely un-understandable & completely fresh, even after 10+ years of music. This album, which is mostly a melodic offering, promises to conjure up images of Princes who never saw fame, Kings that did not conquer, planets stripped bare of thier resources, forbidden states of consciousness, hyper-advanced killing droids actively hunting remnants of humanity, caskets sprouting great garlands, darkness with lime green prisms in perfect mathematical harmony. And the song 'see on see' is perhaps, a perfect representation of what thousands of crystals would sound like if they could somehow sing. The unprepared may flinch from this album because of its full-commitment to uncanny sound production, and to his or her own despair, but anyone who has sat down with Autechre over the course of thier body of work.... will not be disappointed with this release. It is lock step with the best of thier work and in my opinion has a uniqueness even within thier own catalogue. Every song, every note, everything on this album is genius.

And with the release of this album, I really think that Autechre can be put in the same sentence as artists like The Beetles, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix, Bjork. They are truly masters of thier craft, in a way that few artists in thier respective genres ever get to. And I do not mean to flatter, or say that carelessly.

Well done Autechre.

Edited by Suffocate Peon
  • Thanks 1

I actually like that pitchfork Untilted review because the music is so absurd and funny and baffling in how full-on, uncompromising, inflexible and just completely impenetrable it initially is that it does really provoke an almost hysterical schizophrenic reaction like that. I think it's fitting for the album.

did you miss the part when the review was framed as a godel escher bach/zeno dialogue?

did you miss the part when the review was framed as a godel escher bach/zeno dialogue?

i was wondering that too, but maybe he means underneath the cringe worthy mid-life crisis music critic vibe, there are some kernels of value, which i can accept.

You want pretentious?

http://thequietus.co...ul-morley-essay

What do Autechre mean ? What are they ? All of the above – it could be. Something else ? Undeniably. There is, fantastically, no end to wondering.

holy... god

a shame, because paul morley is generally a fine journalist.

edit: was also a musician, was in the art of noise iirc

Totally, he can be the biggest prick at times but he's usually alright. He himself would probably argue his role as a musician in The Art of Noise though.

Another amazin' amazon:-

Having heard Autechre on previous ambient compilations albums, I thought I knew what I was buying. However, with Confield I was sorely disappointed. If you can imagine the sound of a million ants scurrying about their nest and amplify this a million-fold, you're almost getting the intensely repetitive sound that exemplifies Confield. There is barely any melodic composition to this album and it is no more than an exercise in drumbeats, aural pain and listener endurance. The album quite possibly encapsulates the sounds experienced by a paranoid schizophrenic's appreciation of cocaine-fuelled monkeys playing a giant drumset. Mince.

flolgasms

This Amazon review of Incunabula pretentious enough?

autechre's first and worst album. cheesy and 'accessable'. nothing of their later inventiveness is present on this boring cd. casio keyboard is an apt phrase. if you like this you will not like anything theyve done since the mid-90's.just avoid it.

• Thanks 1

Lol, also an Amber review mentions the Casio keyboards, but seemingly it's from a different guy:

On the strength of the reviews for this and the other albums I hoped for something promising but instead it was a huge disappointment. The muzak lacks any soul, it is mind-numbing and very difficult to engage with.

If you love electronica and casio keyboards then this is for you.

Personally I would much rather listen to Ulrich Schnauss or the Dining Rooms.

• 4 weeks later...

oh god. clearly that pitchfork asshole was either cogsci major and this was his chance to "be cool" or he has just finished godel escher bach and wanted to fucking tell everyone that he made it ALL the way through.

post-403-0-14903300-1337328221_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

does any one need me to pm them about anything in this thread?

Yes, what did Robbie post that he had to erase?

why would you take any music reviewer seriously ?

I heard that writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

In that death is too good for you if you're caught doing it.

Edited by blos