IGNORED

Building new virtual kit

Ok so for ages I've been using non-legal software, but now I'm getting a bit sick of it.

I recently bought Numerology 3 SE, Mainstage (for sculpture and ultrabeat), and Microtonic.

I'm looking to put together a solid kit of not-so-expensive synths and effects.

High on my list to buy next are:

Circle > http://www.futureaud...hop.com/circle/

Mini Spillage 2 > http://www.audiospil...um-machine.html

Drum Spillage > http://www.audiospil...-drum-synth.php

ABL 303 emulator > http://www.audioreal.../abl2/index.htm < sounds great but is a bit expensive IMO for something that is more or less a 1 trick pony.

Eventually Logic, which is now only $200 for studio. I'll wait on this though as it pisses me off with lots of shitty UI issues, plus I'm in no hurry to give Apple more money. LOL.

What are some other good and not so expensive (like under or around $100) plugins for osx? I'm looking for really versatile stuff. Effects, fun stuff. No NI stuff please hahah.

Cheers!

Guest ryanmcallister

SDB, does mainstage include space designer and delay designer? i didn't know you could get mainstage as a standalone now and i'm tossing around the idea of picking it up, but the official mainstage site is a little vague...

Some decent things i alway come back to - reaper, renoise, a sample library, era step sequencer (no longer sold), charlatan synth (free) , drumatic 3 (free), variety of sound free plugins, CSR classik reverb, SH-1 plugin pack (free), reverberate free, synth1.

Keep it light, keep it cheap is what I go for.

When it comes to synth, all you need is :

- Madrona Labs Aalto

- U-He Diva

Both are so much fun to use with Numerology. And you can't tell these are software synth, they sound beautiful.

Same goes for AudioSpillage's MiniSpillage2 and DrumSpillage.

Valhalla DSP Room and UberMod are stunning tools too. Room is my go-to reverb and UberMod is the most awesome delay based effect, from classic chorus/ensemble stuffs to unreal reverbs to alien delays with modulations. SoundHack's free pack is essential to me too.

If you need a compressor, Kush Audio's UBK-1 is fantastic, a bit to expensive for your budget but it really worths considering. It's a magic dynamic tool, instant "betterizer". You could also check Klanghelm's DC8C, which is amazingly versatile and sounds pretty great. You should also check freeware Molot, great great character compressor.

What I really want is a good, simple sampler plugin. Strangely hard to find. The only sampler I've ever really gotten into is the one in reason. I had kontakt forever and that shit did nothing but piss me off. So hard to do simple things with.

Any suggestions?

I need to give reaper another shot too. Last time I tried it, it crashed a bunch of times. I'd also love to switch from Logic...

Guest ryanmcallister

What I really want is a good, simple sampler plugin. Strangely hard to find. The only sampler I've ever really gotten into is the one in reason. I had kontakt forever and that shit did nothing but piss me off. So hard to do simple things with.

Any suggestions?

I need to give reaper another shot too. Last time I tried it, it crashed a bunch of times. I'd also love to switch from Logic...

Ableton Live & it's Sampler are dope. Jus' sayin'

Any suggestions?

what you want for sampling is vember audio shortcircuit, but it's not for macs.. works excellent with Reaper.

http://vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php

I heard he stopped developing it because he used the internal sampler in live though.

• 4 weeks later...

I was going to say shortcircuit as well. Bummer than it's not available for Mac.

If you dig trackers, reViSiT is kinda the shit (read: definitely the shit).

Also, DCAM Synth Squad's a tidbit above your range, but rad. D16's pretty awesome too. I love Phoscyon.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Reaper is what 40 bucks? Never crashes for me, loads faster than anything else, updated like every week or two. you can easily ask for and recieve new features for it. I dunno why anyone wouldn't want to buy Reaper.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hanratty

When it comes to synth, all you need is :

- Madrona Labs Aalto

- U-He Diva

Both are so much fun to use with Numerology. And you can't tell these are software synth, they sound beautiful.

Same goes for AudioSpillage's MiniSpillage2 and DrumSpillage.

Valhalla DSP Room and UberMod are stunning tools too. Room is my go-to reverb and UberMod is the most awesome delay based effect, from classic chorus/ensemble stuffs to unreal reverbs to alien delays with modulations. SoundHack's free pack is essential to me too.

If you need a compressor, Kush Audio's UBK-1 is fantastic, a bit to expensive for your budget but it really worths considering. It's a magic dynamic tool, instant "betterizer". You could also check Klanghelm's DC8C, which is amazingly versatile and sounds pretty great. You should also check freeware Molot, great great character compressor.

off topic, sorry, but do you need a fancy midi controller to use Numerology? I have a little Korg knob/fader thing. is that enough? I keep hearing how great Numerology is.

I use Numerology with a Korg NanoKontrol2, so I guess it's enough to have some fun ! ;)

You can use several MIDI controllers at the same time with it, it's really a versatile and flexible piece of software. And damn powerful, deep and fun !

Jim, N3's dev, is always working on improving it. For example, monome devices and iPad support are coming soon. I can't wait to sequence directly from my monomes !

oh no way. you can do Numerology with no midi controllers. It just lives things up. ATM it's a bit tedious to map stuff, but that's forthcoming in an update I'm pretty sure.

The track I made for the new watmm compilation is made in NUM.

Drummspillage has been in heavy rotation. It's really nice sounding, but is lacking a few things still. A sample module would be amazing, as would more flexible modulation routing. Kinda lame that you can link things to velocity... Overall though totally worth it. I saw they had another sale recently.

beans : DS1.6 is a nice update tho. I really hope Stephen will add sample layering as in MiniSpillage2 (which is a great plugin too !)

also if you're curious I posted some weeks ago a Numerology raw jam in the raw topic.

schlucharski : then use it rewired to another DAW ? That's how I use N3, FWIW.

Archived