IGNORED

oldskool IDM like ISAN, Ilkae, Lusine, proem, Monoceros, Arovane

o00o

34 members have voted

1. 1. are these guys still relevant?

• I did not know about most of them before
    • nah that kind of IDM is long gone
    • yeah I still listen to them often

any love for these artists? they made quite a bunch of extraordinary releases that still sound great but I rarely read about them here. some of them also released new stuff recently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJtg3FVqN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9XL_n8DoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Koa2HS_SYA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNNAcs46qjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWj8pibTX5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3ne9A2fTf8

The only one in the above list that I've heard of is Ilkae, and they're/he is pretty great.

I do like the genre though. There was some really great stuff released in the early 2000s, but it was just so saturated. I have a whole bunch of random IDM albums that I acquired when I used to frequent record stores with od++. We'd just pick up random CDs to listen to from their IDM/experimental section, based on cover art or interesting artist/album names, etc. Good times!

The only one in the above list that I've heard of is Ilkae, and they're/he is pretty great.

I do like the genre though. There was some really great stuff released in the early 2000s, but it was just so saturated. I have a whole bunch of random IDM albums that I acquired when I used to frequent record stores with od++. We'd just pick up random CDs to listen to from their IDM/experimental section, based on cover art or interesting artist/album names, etc. Good times!

I found these by last.fm when I was new to it in 2005/2006 while playing Aphex Twin / BOC similair artist radio. Lusine is also known as Lusince ICL and has an extensive back catalogue. Now by importing last.fm into spotify I became aware that all of these have current releases and I pretty much lost track 3-4 years ago

Guest CraniumXII

I found these by last.fm when I was new to it in 2005/2006 while playing Aphex Twin / BOC similair artist radio. Lusine is also known as Lusince ICL and has an extensive back catalogue. Now by importing last.fm into spotify I became aware that all of these have current releases and I pretty much lost track 3-4 years ago

Hello, Sir. I have always listened to the "big daddies", but found it difficult to get into too many other artists. I quite like the tracks from Ilkae and Isan. Can you recommend a decent starting point, album wise?

I hate just randomly looking through tracks, and would rather just get an idea of what albums might be best to start.

Lusine is my favourite of those mentioned. Iron City is still a wonderful album and his ambient album Language Barrier was a highlight of the year when it came out. Gridlock's Formless albums is also top banana and worth checking out if you haven't already.

Hello, Sir. I have always listened to the "big daddies", but found it difficult to get into too many other artists. I quite like the tracks from Ilkae and Isan. Can you recommend a decent starting point, album wise?

I hate just randomly looking through tracks, and would rather just get an idea of what albums might be best to start.

yeah that was exactly my problem too. One way to bypass this is to listen to them in spotify as it will take you only 10 seconds to check each artists discography.

anyway best release to start with Lusine is Serial Hodgepodge IMHO

Monoceros - Imaginary_EP

Isan - Plans Drawn in Pencil

Proem - Socially Incept

Ilkae - Pistachio Island

I did also forget Arovane - Tides:

keep in mind that these are mostly the more older releases. The new stuff is also worth checking out

Lusine is my favourite of those mentioned. Iron City is still a wonderful album and his ambient album Language Barrier was a highlight of the year when it came out. Gridlock's Formless albums is also top banana and worth checking out if you haven't already.

yeah these are great too. These are all pretty much ambient if I remember correctly right?

I thought this is what IDM still is???

me too but if you put it next to VHS HEAD & Steinvord you really see a difference as I would consider this IDM too in the original meaning of the word. I prefer some of these to Steinvord anytime but they do not get close as much attention even so most of them are still on track

yeah these are great too. These are all pretty much ambient if I remember correctly right?

Gridlock is more industrial/glitchy sort of affair. Iron City isn't much ambient either.

didnt arovane state a few years back that he packed it in?

I think the glitchy digital thing has been done to death althoygh Raster Noton are still holding the flag with their own refined microtonal take which is good chin scratching fodder

then there's this new hipster 80's retro chic like, Dave Monolith, VHS Head, Com Truise, Eero Johannes which is cool

is this still regarded as IDM?

I thought the oldskool IDM was something like The Orb, FSOL, Orbital, early AFX (Didgeridoo) and Autechre (Inclunabula), LFO, System 7, Tricky Disco, Sweet Excorcist etc. early 90s stuff?

Arovane, ISAN, Ilkae, etc. are like the second generation late 90s and early 2000s glitch stuff.

I think I have too much time in my hands, but I developed a theory that the IDM history can roughly be divided in three phases. I'm not absolutely serious here, it's just my idle speculation.

1st phase (about 1988-1995) contains the early intelligent techno and ambient house/dub stuff, etc:

1988 Humanoid - Stakker Humanoid

1990 LFO - LFO

1990 Tricky Disco - Tricky Disco

1991 Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath

1991 FSOL - Accelerator

1991 The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

1992 Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

1992 Aphex Twin - Digeridoo

1991 The Orb - UFOrb

1993 Aphex Twin - On

1993 Autechre - Incunabula

1994 Autechre - Amber

1994 FSOL - Lifeforms

1995 The Orb - Orbus Terrarum

2nd phase (about 1994-2005) is the glitch stuff, drill'n'bass, BOCcian hiphop, etc:

1994 Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II

1995 Aphex Twin - ..I Care Because You Do

1995 Autechre - Tri Repetae

1995 Boards of Canada - Twoism

1996 Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

1996 Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

1997 Autechre - Chiastic Slide

1997 Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy

1998 Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

2001 Aphex Twin - Drukqs

2001 Autechre - Confield

2002 Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

2005 Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase

2005 Autechre - Untilted

3rd phase (2005-> ) is the post-acid analog stuff, 80s influences, Oversteps FM sounds, etc.

2005 Aphex Twin - Analord series

2007 The Tuss - Rushup Edge

2008 Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

2008 Autechre - Quaristice

2010 Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

2010 Autechre - Oversteps

2010 VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

2011 Com Truise - Galactic Melt

Feel free to facepalm.. :facepalm:

No, it makes sense. Can't say I liked this "post-IDM" thing like FlyLo too much. Is the 80s nostalgia because people are now in their 30s?

I find FlyLo refreshing after all the glitch stuff that came before it. It's more jazzy and organic sounding.

Anyway, I'm 32 and for me listening to VHS Head makes me feel like being 9 years old again, standing in the video rental store looking at the shelves in awe and trying to get my parents to rent Rambo 3. So, I guess it works for me. :cool: Com Truise is more ambiguous. It sounds really familiar but I can't connect it to any specific memories. It's like weird amalgamation of Miami Vice and 80s Coke TV ads.

I think I have too much time in my hands, but I developed a theory that the IDM history can roughly be divided in three phases. I'm not absolutely serious here, it's just my idle speculation.

1st phase (about 1988-1995) contains the early intelligent techno and ambient house/dub stuff, etc:

1988 Humanoid - Stakker Humanoid

1990 LFO - LFO

1990 Tricky Disco - Tricky Disco

1991 Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath

1991 FSOL - Accelerator

1991 The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

1992 Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

1992 Aphex Twin - Digeridoo

1991 The Orb - UFOrb

1993 Aphex Twin - On

1993 Autechre - Incunabula

1994 Autechre - Amber

1994 FSOL - Lifeforms

1995 The Orb - Orbus Terrarum

2nd phase (about 1994-2005) is the glitch stuff, drill'n'bass, BOCcian hiphop, etc:

1994 Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II

1995 Aphex Twin - ..I Care Because You Do

1995 Autechre - Tri Repetae

1995 Boards of Canada - Twoism

1996 Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

1996 Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things

1997 Autechre - Chiastic Slide

1997 Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy

1998 Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

2001 Aphex Twin - Drukqs

2001 Autechre - Confield

2002 Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

2005 Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase

2005 Autechre - Untilted

3rd phase (2005-> ) is the post-acid analog stuff, 80s influences, Oversteps FM sounds, etc.

2005 Aphex Twin - Analord series

2007 The Tuss - Rushup Edge

2008 Flying Lotus - Los Angeles

2008 Autechre - Quaristice

2010 Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma

2010 Autechre - Oversteps

2010 VHS Head - Trademark Ribbons of Gold

2011 Com Truise - Galactic Melt

Feel free to facepalm.. :facepalm:

dude you need to spend less time on watmm

Archived