IGNORED

Deftones Appreciation Thread

jules

Guest kokeboka

The first Deftones song I heard was My Own Summer - totally blew my mind. So I went and got Around The Fur and it has been one of my favourite rock albums since; you just can't find a bad song in it. Had a gf at the time that played me a cassette of Adrenalin, and I loved it although I did feel the sound quality didn't do justice to the music.

Got to see them live touring White Pony (they did that gig with Taproot if I recall), and it was an awesome show. After a while the Soulfly thing came up with Max Calavera and Chino, but I didn't like that at all. There's a tendency to associate Deftones to the likes of Korn and Limp Bizkit, which is unfair to them although I think they were all buddies.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nowyouknow

how good is the last album? don't listened it yet. others albums are good, i just don't like adrenaline any more.

how good is the last album? don't listened it yet. others albums are good, i just don't like adrenaline any more.

it really is fantastic. heavy as balls at points. they sound really focused. im so curious as to what eros (the shelved cheng album) and the new one will sound like.

i was, don't quite know if i still am, it's confusing

nostalgia and embarrassment are weird feelings

i always loves when chino covers duran duran, sade or weezer

one of other favorites at the time were incubus:

[youtubehd]MZoBL0a1_1w[/youtubehd]

I listened to Saturday Night Wrist again yesterday after posting in this thread, and it's really not bad at all. There are just a few slow tracks (including Pink Cellphone) that bring it down and make it feel longer than it needs to be. Those are probably the album's only real flaws. I don't really like "Hole in the Earth" though so it starts off on a bad note and that may influence my decision not to put it on most times.

I stopped following them quite some time ago. Around the Fur, Adrenaline, White Pony, all their old stuff was good. Just got into electronic music and ignored rock for a long time. Even now I mostly listen to electronica. I'll put on their stuff every once in a while, but not as often as I should. I remember seeing promos for Crosses and checked some teaser vids but forgot about that too. Should I check it? I should probably check all their new stuff...

i loved white pony back in the day. it's not my style any more, but definitely better than most of what i was listening to back then.

Guest zaphod

they were a bit of a guilty pleasure. i always liked this track:

[youtubehd]tiqzxuMrFxc[/youtubehd]

weird mix of shoegazey guitars and hardcore vocals

• 11 months later...
Guest Ron Manager

White Pony was a favourite of mine back in the day. sad news. he should have fastened his seat belt.

Guest Richy

Damn sad news, what a legend. I was completely obsessed with this band during my mid/late teens, still love them. I'm gonna go blast their discography for the rest of the day.

I can proudly say it was Chi and Chino who signed my White Pony CD backstage after I saw them on that tour. Chi was an awesomely nice guy and looking back it's sort of strange because the band haven't been the same since his accident. I hope his family and the band can finally get some closure and move on now.

Rest in peace, you dreadlocked metal God.

Weren't some of the songs that were to be on Eros re-worked and put on Koi No Yukan?

but yeah, the past couple albums have been awesome. Ironically they are both without Chi, but I think the whole incident with him really woke up some inspiration and focus within the band. Crosses is good stuff as well.

Archived