IGNORED

Will facebook survive

o00o

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it probably won't survive. like everything else it will be replaced by something else that seems better and has more features and things supposed to make your life easier, more fun and less hassle. but which will just end up sapping even more of your time and being more awkward and more of a pain in the ass than the brilliant idea before it.

Hits nail right on the fucking head!! Well done sirch lol.

I'm not computer/web savvy but that seems to sum it up in laymans terms (thats why I understood it :wink: )

As long as watmmer keeps going I couldn't give a flying fuck about anything else. It's the only thing I waste time with on the net tbh, but seeing as find out so much cool stuff about music it's worth every ounce of my time and effort. If I want to contact someone I'll txt/sms them. Job fucking done.

Hail watmmer!!

I still think that posting a Google Trends graph, without even so much as a word to acknowledge that it has no pertinence to popularity is a bit of a pompous move.

A google trends graph has fairly clear relevance to popularity - after all, if something is becoming more popular in the street through word of mouth, people are likely to search for it on google.

What it doesn't have relevance to is already installed userbase.

I still think that posting a Google Trends graph, without even so much as a word to acknowledge that it has no pertinence to popularity is a bit of a pompous move.

A google trends graph has fairly clear relevance to popularity - after all, if something is becoming more popular in the street through word of mouth, people are likely to search for it on google.

What it doesn't have relevance to is already installed userbase.

As I said earlier, that seems more pertinent to 'curiosity' rather than 'popularity'.

For example, Google is one of the most popular search engines. But people don't generally search for Google to get to Google. Because they already know it.

What on earth is Pinterest ?! (erm obviously I can just look it up .... it's just it's the first I've ever heard of it)

EDIT: *Goes on Pinterest* *Brain fries at bland information overload*

What on earth is Pinterest ?! (erm obviously I can just look it up .... it's just it's the first I've ever heard of it)

its like stumbleupon or reddit but with a pinch of facebook "your friends suggest stuff" thing going on. also it feels more modular than stumble and reddit in a facebook kind of way

it's supposedly very popular with Women, from what I've heard. :shrugs:

Guest Xenblake

It should have stopped at voting on the hottest girl.

That way people would spend less time on it and spend more time actually hanging out and whatnot.

i guarantee facebook will not survive. it's well on its way to a myspace style downfall, which is basically unavoidable. people will be laughing about how silly it was that we all used facebook, kind of like how we laugh at synth pop songs from the 80s and beehives. period.

A main problem with the eighties was poorly cut clothes that used garish patterns, colour schemes and materials. Yes, there were bad hairstyles, but i don't recall the beehive being one of them. Mostly it was perms, hairspray, fringes and on the guys, unsympathetic shapes.

Oh and midi. Everywhere with the fucking midi.

it probably won't survive. like everything else it will be replaced by something else that seems better and has more features and things supposed to make your life easier, more fun and less hassle. but which will just end up sapping even more of your time and being more awkward and more of a pain in the ass than the brilliant idea before it.

Hits nail right on the fucking head!! Well done sirch lol.

I'm not computer/web savvy but that seems to sum it up in laymans terms (thats why I understood it :wink: )

As long as watmmer keeps going I couldn't give a flying fuck about anything else. It's the only thing I waste time with on the net tbh, but seeing as find out so much cool stuff about music it's worth every ounce of my time and effort. If I want to contact someone I'll txt/sms them. Job fucking done.

Hail watmmer!!

you deserve some kind of medal or award.

paging Joyrex !!

That is a really great looking infographic. :cool:

On the topic of last.fm and Spotify: I feel that Spotify offers something that last.fm should have been able to offer years ago: the streaming of music - lots and lots of it. They tried, it was half-assed, and it went away. Is there even still a radio? I never really used that feature anyway but once in a great while when I was bored and wanted to discover something new. Yet I'm still hooked on the site - because of what interested me about it in the first place: my listening stats and the social aspect of it. Which brings me to my biggest complaint about Spotify: The lack of listening stacks and lack of social capabilities. Sure you can email songs to people, and you can create playlists. But you can't say a fucking word or even "like" a track to communicate with anyone.

Somebody please just merge them. I don't feel they're really comparable services - they offer completely different things.

google is pretty much the backbone of the internet so i doubt it will ever go away. facebook could easily die if a hipper, cooler, service comes along that brings in the youngest generations, but probably most of the people already on facebook will keep using it.

Okay first off, oscillik must work for last.fm.

secondly,

i guarantee facebook will not survive. it's well on its way to a myspace style downfall

Wait, what? I know it can become passe or lose popularity eventually, but it has more than 845 million users now.

Everybody seems to think Pinterest will overtake Facebook... I doubt it myself.

I doubt it too, because they serve different purposes; Pinterest is more of a microblog rather than profile page kind of site. It's users are also 70% female, which suggests a bit of a niche—I feel like it would have evened that bias out by the time it reached its current level of popularity.

I mean, in the span of six months they went from 275,000 to 11,000,000 users, so it's definitely successful, but I still don't think it's going to replace it since it doesn't have nearly as social an aspect that Facebook has.

By the way the only reason i know all of that is because I animated a video about it for some social media analysis thinktank lol.

google is pretty much the backbone of the internet so i doubt it will ever go away. facebook could easily die if a hipper, cooler, service comes along that brings in the youngest generations, but probably most of the people already on facebook will keep using it.

I agree with this. Aside from company mistakes, it's a matter of what sort of functionality and user experience becomes vogue and what becomes outmoded by comparison. I don't think Facebook will go away anytime too soon, but if it does, I'd imagine this would be the reason.

And while I know Pinterest is kind of vogue right now, I don't think it's going to be on such a level as to replace Facebook.

I doubt it too, because they serve different purposes; Pinterest is more of a microblog rather than profile page kind of site. It's users are also 70% female, which suggests a bit of a niche—I feel like it would have evened that bias out by the time it reached its current level of popularity.

pinterest's userbase is 70% female IN THE US.

in the rest of the world, the demographics are much more similar to those of facebook.

i don't know why that is the case, but i reckon it's a word of mouth thing... 'hey, have you heard of pinterest? it's like facebook but FOR WOMEN!'

If they won't fix that stupid timeline thing then they'll die.

That is a really great looking infographic. :cool:

Are you guys referring to the charts in the o.p?

If so I agree w/ beker that rolling up a timeline into a circle is fucking stupid. And maybe I'm missing something, but what are the magnitudes supposed to be - net worth? Revenues? Users? Hits? (You know, what would normally be on a y-axis and labeled, if they had not convoluted their shit into polar coordinates)

Just wait until I develop SoulBook. Zuckerberg will be fetching my coffee.

loool.

To play devil's advocate: I think Facebook will not only survive but flourish, primarily due to Zuckerberg. He is ridiculously young and quite talented and business savvy, so he should have a long productive road ahead.

Same goes for Zynga. These companies are a bit scary and bloodless, but they do know business. Sometimes I wonder about the more "idealistic" companies like Google, Valve...

but so are microsoft, oracle, EA, activision...in other words, every other successful company. They breed sociopaths who know how to manipulate people to make money. And so the world turns...

edit: in response to kaini

Archived