The Bug launches Acid Ragga

usagi

Kevin Martin aka The Bug has announced the launch of his own new label, Acid Ragga.

Acid Ragga will be administrated through Ninja Tune, and dedicated – at least to begin with – to 7″ vinyl releases. The first release, expected to drop next month, will feature two tracks, ‘Can’t Take This No More’ and ‘Rise Up’, both riding The Bug’s new ‘Acid Ragga Riddim’, and featuring vocals from Daddy Freddy and Hype William’s Inga Copeland respectively.

A second single is also mooted to follow soon after – entitled ‘Ganja Baby’, and again featuring Daddy Freddy, Martin described it on Twitter it as sounding like “Plastikman mashing Witness The Fitness’.

source

• 5 months later...

artworks-000027756970-kjnikx-crop.jpg?e2debf3

The Bug — Can't Take This No More / ACIDRA001 / Released 27/08/2012

A. Can't Take This No More (feat. Daddy Freddy)

B. Rise Up (feat. Inga Copeland)

The debut Acid Ragga release will be swiftly followed by single 2, "Ganja Baby" feat. Daddy Freddy...

Watch for a continuing series of Acid Ragga singles throughout the year, leading up to the next Bug album proper Angels & Devils.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWZqka5tqY

The 7 inch is real nice. The vinyl is illuminous yellow and the sleeve artwork (by Zeke Clough (shackleton etc). But the tracks are okay . In otherwords I spend more time gazing at the sleeve than listening to the music lol.

I do enjoy this but it takes a bit of adjusting to if you're used to his London Zoo-heavy beats and bass, seeing as the premise of these Acid Ragga releases is strict use of 808 and 303.

• 1 month later...
I’ve really immersed myself in my 303, my 808 and my mixing desk, and I’ve been really enjoying it a lot. I’ve been exploring a sound that I first talked about with Ed DMX back when I first bought my 303, a Devilfish 303 around 2000… I was talking to Ed about how I wanted to explore acid dancehall then, and he laughed and said ‘yeah, fucking wicked, you should do it.’ And it’s just taken me this long to get around to doing it. I think a big reason for that [amount of time] is my relationship with [Daddy] Freddy – it’s got stronger, and for me he’s got the ideal voice for those sort of riddims, that Acid Ragga shit

So is Acid Ragga there just to house your own productions, at this point?

At this point, yeah. I’ve got a couple of allies, in Stereotyp from Austria and Mark Pritchard – they’ve both done stuff that’s in that zone. Mark, bless him, went away and did something in that style once I told him about [the Acid Ragga style / label], and he did it fucking brilliantly. They’re the only two people I feel that affinity to, that I’d want to get involved. On a mad tip, I’d love to get Stephen “Lenky” Marsden involved. He did the ‘Diwali Riddim’ a couple of years ago, which was huge, but before that he had this crazy, off-kilter ragga label that had some of the most warped, electronic ragga riddims. But all those things are distractions from that fact that really, I just wanted to come strong with my own shit on this label, to continue my relationship with the vocalists I work with, and incorporate new vocalists.

source

• 4 weeks later...