IGNORED

In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country vocoder tone

Guest Rz911

Guest Rz911

Anyone know how to get a similar vocoder tone to the one in BoC's "In a beautiful place out in the country''?. It's such a fantastic, gritty raw sound, but everytime I try to emulate it with software vocoders I end up with something more akin to daft punk (albeit a lot shittier). I have a feeling that it might be the carrier synth I'm using that's the problem, any ideas what I could use for it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWcptE6UAI

for anyone that hasn't heard it before, god forbid.

I'm not sure about what vocoder or synth might have been used but I'm fairly certain the source voice is an archive recording, timestretched to fit rhythmically with the music, so that may be something to consider.

Guest Rz911

sounds like it might be a talkbox rather than a vocoder

Interesting. Well, getting my hands on a talkbox is going to be a hell of a lot easier than getting hold of an EMS 2000 and a super jupiter :biggrin:

At first I was going to guess that the carrier and/or modulator input jack on the vocoder is old and generating noise. Have you tried mixing noise into the input signals? Maybe EQ to emphasize the low-mid/mid ranges.

Now listening again, there definitely seems to be a lot of time/pitch editing on the sample (pre?) vocoder/talk box as xy_politcs said.

Anyone know how to get a similar vocal tone to the one in Tom Wait's "Real Gone''?. It's such a fantastic, gritty raw sound, but everytime I try to emulate it I end up with something more akin to Nickelback (albeit a lot shittier). I have a feeling that it might be the whiskey I'm drinking that's the problem, any ideas what I should use for cigars?

Guest Rz911

Anyone know how to get a similar vocal tone to the one in Tom Wait's "Real Gone''?. It's such a fantastic, gritty raw sound, but everytime I try to emulate it I end up with something more akin to Nickelback (albeit a lot shittier). I have a feeling that it might be the whiskey I'm drinking that's the problem, any ideas what I should use for cigars?

hehe

Archived