IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

All,
I did not see a thread like this yet so figured I'd see what kind of response I get.

This is a place to post all things stereo related. For example, what kind of amp/reciever/speakers/sub do you use? Do you prefer vintage or modern stereo equipment? Headphones? Different brands of stereo equipment, pros/cons. etc.

Also, post pictures of your setup guys and gals! My listening rooms are really important to me, it would be cool to see what everyones listening spaces look like.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

ive got a set of wharfdale diamonds 9's, with a cambridge audio amp i forget the model of, but it cost me a bomb, 450 odd. ive also got a set of 600w bassbins, a 2k bassamp, a 1000k behringer pa with a crossover i use for parties sometimes. and i just splashed out on some krks. im running it all through a saffire proplus soundcard.

i cant live without a stereo, the thought of even just a month with only laptop speakers makes me feel sick to my core

ive got a set of wharfdale diamonds 9's, with a cambridge audio amp i forget the model of, but it cost me a bomb, 450 odd. ive also got a set of 600w bassbins, a 2k bassamp, a 1000k behringer pa with a crossover i use for parties sometimes. and i just splashed out on some krks. im running it all through a saffire proplus soundcard.

i cant live without a stereo, the thought of even just a month with only laptop speakers makes me feel sick to my core

Nice setup! Great speakers too, love english speakers in general. I have a pair (though I'm not using them) of Canton speakers (cant remember the model). Great bass response, great power handling etc. Always heard wharfedale was great.

My main system is:

A pair of vintage cerwin vegas model E715 as of 2013 , a parasound HCA1500 power amp , some shit sony reciever, and two velodyne dls1200 subs. Plays fookin loud, and actually sounds great.

The cerwins are power hungry and the amp does a great job powering them. The cerwins sound like shit if they are underpowered.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

i have a pair of wharfedale 10.1's + marantz sr6300 receiver and senn hd 650 + slightly upgraded asus stx soundcard. i rarely use the speakers and should have actually saved that money for an ultimate headphone system. i wanna try some tube amps for the headphones as there's a lot of talk of how awesome they sound with them. but i'm totally cool with the current sound as well.

My current setup is a McIntosh 2505 amplifier, a Pioneer Spec 1 preamp, Pioneer 707 reel to reel, and a beautiful Transcriptors Skeleton turntable. I love modern music through quality vintage components. Speakers are Bowers and Wilkins CM5's and a Polk audio 12" sub.. I forget the model right now.

Edited by acroyear

i have a 2k rig i put together back in 98 for djing/squat parties, audio concepts is the brand for all of it, i dont think they exist anymore, ive had countless pints of beer spilt over the amp, the speakers have seen pounds of drugs snorted off the top, numerous people fucking and have dents all over them, best 1000 quid i ever spent, i dont think they will ever die, they just keep on going no matter what.

One day, I hope to own these:

http://www.higherfi...._Clara_Luna.jpg

Seems like you guys have a lot of high end audio equipment. To date I have always tried to squeeze the most performance out of mid-end vintage speakers (I've got some JBL L80's as well). I seem to always spend my money on other things. I will be prioritizing my system next year.

Has anyone ever been on this site?

http://www.higherfi.com

Highest-highend shit. =)

Also can anyone tell me wtf these are?

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/MBL_101X-treme.jpg

Edited by StephenG

Guest disparaissant

i have a technics amp from the early 80s (my brother stole my old harmon/kardon HK-330 and probably sold it for meth or something)

some vintage pioneer speakers that are okay

a technics tape deck

and a technics 1900 turntable

its all okay stuff, sounds pretty decent, and cost me like 43 dollars altogether

modern sony amp here. small surround sound speakers and big sub. does the job, cost a few hundred dollars.

edit: and technics 1200's

Edited by yek

mainly using a quad setup now:

front 2x alesis Monitor One (powered by 175w alesis amp)

rear 2x philips CS797 (driven by 300w marantz)

mixing i do mostly with my computer/soundcards...

also have an EQ to smooth/flatten out the freq curve, especially for the old cs797s

Edited by iep

mainly using a quad setup now:

front 2x alesis Monitor One (powered by 175w alesis amp)

rear 2x philips CS797 (driven by 300w marantz)

mixing i do mostly with my computer/soundcards...

also have an EQ to smooth/flatten out the freq curve, especially for the old cs797s

not even gonna fix that bugrer, sorry guise

My current setup consists of a Yamaha CA-810 amplifier. My dad originally bought this new and I've commandeered it. Wonderful sound, wonderful look.

Got some Bose 201 bookshelf speakers hooked up to it, only cost $220 and they punch a good sound.

Have an Apple TV hooked up to my TV and amp so I have my whole iTunes at my disposal.

For headphones I just bought the Bose QC-15s. Love the noise canceling aspect and the sound is good in my opinion, they're not bass heavy which I have found other in other price range headphones.

Edited by YELLOW

Guest Al Hounos

My main squeeze is a pair of Sennheiser HD-650s plugged in to a Little Dot Mk III tube amp and a cheap USB DAC.

My mobile setup is a pair of Senn HD-550s plugged into a Cowon S9. For traveling I use Etymotic Research ER6i.

To be honest, even after getting the HD-650s, my favorite way to listen to music is still walking around the city with my Cowon and the HD-550s. They're 85% as good as the HD-650s for most music.

not a photo of mine, but i have this old technics seperates system for music listening purposes (as well as my computer w/ soundcard + monitors etc). i love it, fucking loud too.

6233ce_20.jpeg

Edited by BCM

not a photo of mine, but i have this old technics seperates system for music listening purposes (as well as my computer w/ soundcard + monitors etc). i love it, fucking loud too.

6233ce_20.jpeg

tower-o-power

nothing fancy: onkyo 8650, standard sony cd deck, standard sony tape deck, thorens td 280 mk II, smaller Canton (dunno model, too old), beyerdynamik dt 770

will replace everything as soon as I find some $$$

Edited by schlucharski

Guest boo

cambridge audio amp

camaudio540a.jpg

mordaunt-short speakers

105004.jpg

it's nice enough. would prefer something more beefy.

just some Shure headphones. ex binned my decent ones.

Doing preamp, the poor mans way

51YNvqWGc4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

also these were goin a beggin, didnt cost nothing

540x405_glosniki-sony-ss-h-637350.jpg

3rd edit, might as well lash in the table

Project_Essential__38376_zoom.jpg

Edited by chassis

cambridge audio amp

camaudio540a.jpg

mordaunt-short speakers

105004.jpg

it's nice enough. would prefer something more beefy.

just some Shure headphones. ex binned my decent ones.

What model of Mordaunt Short are they? My brother has some vintage mordaunt short medium sized bookshelf speakers, they sound great but like you said, something beefier would be nice.