IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

Even better! She's a beaut. I bet it weighs about 7000000000000lbs lol. That's a beautiful finish on it. Does it still get enough airflow to keep it cool?

I'm a huge fan of vintage amps and speakers.

Guest Ron Manager

Any idea what kind of cartridge on the debut turntable? I've got the debut 3 carbon myself and don't regret the purchase! I think it's a great table for the price.

ps. nice vinyl stash you got going!

cheers. the cartridge is an Ortofon OMB 5E, which i'm pretty sure is the standard cartridge Pro-ject supplied with this. turntable is amazing. i'd been using an old cheap Technics SL-BD2, which worked well, but finally the motor went, and that's pretty much the only thing you can't replace easily on it (i.e. they seem hard to come by). just retrieved this one from my gf's mum's house - i knew she had a half-decent turntable, but i didn't know it was a Debut 2. really nice turntable!

Any idea what kind of cartridge on the debut turntable? I've got the debut 3 carbon myself and don't regret the purchase! I think it's a great table for the price.

ps. nice vinyl stash you got going!

cheers. the cartridge is an Ortofon OMB 5E, which i'm pretty sure is the standard cartridge Pro-ject supplied with this. turntable is amazing. i'd been using an old cheap Technics SL-BD2, which worked well, but finally the motor went, and that's pretty much the only thing you can't replace easily on it (i.e. they seem hard to come by). just retrieved this one from my gf's mum's house - i knew she had a half-decent turntable, but i didn't know it was a Debut 2. really nice turntable!

Agreed! =)

Even better! She's a beaut. I bet it weighs about 7000000000000lbs lol. That's a beautiful finish on it. Does it still get enough airflow to keep it cool?

I'm a huge fan of vintage amps and speakers.

Thanks again! She's very heavy. There's about a 1" clearance in the back, which provides plenty or room for heat escape, so it's never been an issue thankfully.

Not sure if I ever posted a pic of mine! Not as pretty as acros but it gets the job done!

Parasound HCA1500A poweramp, pro-ject debut 3 carbon with an ortofon 2m blue (upgraded from the red!)

Sony str db-1070 receiver, and some vintage cerwin vega at-15 speakers. Oh and theres a velodyne dls-12 sub on each side lol.

Also a bunch of clutter for effect... thats it.

jqPeY2s.jpg

Edited by StephenG

Some very slick set ups around here, nice to see so much vintage stuff still getting use. Up until a few years ago I was still rocking my grandfather's late-1970s Marantz amp before it started smouldering one day for no reason, well perhaps old-age. Finally have a set up I'm proud enough of to share, which I've been slowly acquiring over the past 6 months...

Got one of these 2 weeks ago as a Christmas present to myself for a bargain of €50, needed to get a new needle cartridge which almost cost as much as the turntable itself.
sony%209000.jpg

Don't have a phono stage at the moment so I've been running it through this;
efx12%20med.gif
Finally into these;
531709_3997686639642_1705815099_n.jpg
For being cheap Behringer knock offs of the Rokit 8 they are surprisingly brilliant speakers, I've never been more happy with a purchase.
I have my PC running into an Edirol FA-101 interface then into the B1031s. For quieter days I have a set of Sennheiser 595s which sound lovely with the FA-101.

Not sure if I ever posted a pic of mine! Not as pretty as acros but it gets the job done!

Parasound HCA1500A poweramp, pro-ject debut 3 carbon with an ortofon 2m blue (upgraded from the red!)

Sony str db-1070 receiver, and some vintage cerwin vega at-15 speakers. Oh and theres a velodyne dls-12 sub on each side lol.

Also a bunch of clutter for effect... thats it.

jqPeY2s.jpg

I bet it sounds amazing.. Looks like a great hang out spot!

here's my set up:

Technics 1210M5G with Ortofon Arkiv stylus

IMG_20130502_214505.jpg

Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD MiniDisc recorder

12%2520-%25201.jpg

JVC KD-V400 Cassette Deck

IMG_20120331_151638.jpg

Teac AS-M50 amplifier

108.jpg

2011%2520-%25201.jpg

That Minidisc player is very rare, AND the nicest portable Sony ever made! You must be very proud.

Anyone still use a dedicated CD player? Mine went into the closet when I got a DVD player, which then got tossed when I upgraded to blu-ray. Now I have an AirPlay enabled HDMI receiver, so I just usually stream from my phone.

Edited by Rubin Farr

Acro do you have a synth setup as well? Is that your Music Easel in your avatar?

My work station is far more modest right now. It's gone through various incarnations, since I've removed my computer from my creative process. Sadly, I have no modular synth like in my avatar, but would someday like to have one...

zuga9amu.jpghyvygahy.jpg

Anyone still use a dedicated CD player? Mine went into the closet when I got a DVD player, which then got tossed when I upgraded to blu-ray. Now I have an AirPlay enabled HDMI receiver, so I just usually stream from my phone.

I had one for about a decade, it bitched out about 8-9 years ago. I got a dvd player to replace it, and still have that but i only use it for dvds now (it's just hooked up to a shitty old tv). I use my PS3 for at home cd listening, but mostly listen to cds in my car now. Part of me is wanting to get one of those cd changer beasts from the late 90's that had upwards of 100 cd slots. I imagine many of them quit working after a decade or so of use though...

:cerious: Bedroom set up? :cerious:

Both set ups are ridiculously amazing Acroyear.

thank you :emb:

Yeah gorgeous equipment. Like that giant cassette deck and the reverberation amplifier in particular.

here's my set up:

Technics 1210M5G with Ortofon Arkiv stylus

IMG_20130502_214505.jpg

Sony MZ-RH1 Hi-MD MiniDisc recorder

12%2520-%25201.jpg

JVC KD-V400 Cassette Deck

IMG_20120331_151638.jpg

Teac AS-M50 amplifier

108.jpg

2011%2520-%25201.jpg

That Minidisc player is very rare, AND the nicest portable Sony ever made! You must be very proud.

yeah, it's awesome. I got it for what I think was a bargain price of £196 brand new from Amazon back in 2009. I am very pleased with it, it's the best sounding portable I've ever used.

acroyear wins the thread. nevertheless gonna post my specs too.

for my speaker set i present to you the tannoy mercury v1

80061.jpg

I am really happy with them: they sound great, lush and beautiful. very rich sounds.

For my amp, I present:

str-gx211groa.jpg

Probably could do with something better, but hey it works. Most of the input comes from my Audio Card (Creative XtremeMusic.. again could probably do better in that departement, but I don't want to buy any big technological things at the moment.. also, pretty broke lol)

And finally, for my headset I present

cdpkorea-1337620223-2.JPG

:music: , although in all honesty I haven't been using it all ever since I got my speakers! Haven't been able to listen to my vinyl, since I sold my players somewhere in 2012. Now, they're just collecting dust lol. Have some shitty players laying around which I found somewhere. They need a tune up but I've been so godawful lazy lately that I haven't been able to do anything in that departement. Got some free time coming up, so probably will focus on it then!

Edited by Guest

• 4 years later...

This thread NEEDS to be revived. I find it really interesting to see how you all listen to music.

Mine's a tiny bit outdated since I got some isolation pads yesterday but it essentially looks the same. Plus I don't feel like setting the records up that way again.

2h2nzit.jpg

I have the speakers hooked up to the computer/turntable and also you can see the HD650's I got recently on the side there as well. I'm just waiting for my headphone amp to arrive now so I have it all combined nicely. 

Acroyear, I have serious jelly issues pertaining to your set up.

give me nao.

Lol.. I have a second system in the bedroomgapa2ydy.jpg

Nice reel to reel, I had one of those for years but ended up donating it to a charity shop during a move for various reasons, and then passed up another for $5 at a thrift shop, and now I regret both.

I don't have a photo handy now but my stereo is a Technics SP-15 turntable, an early NAD amp (a long term temporary thing because my Scott 299c tube amp needs service and I don't have the money to have someone do it nor the skill to do it myself) and a pair of AR 2ax speakers.

The entire lot plus a Technics SA700 reciever was $70 (everything but the turntable was free) plus an old pair of EPI speakers I'd paid about $60 for, and sounds fantastic, especially for older recordings that were mastered for that kind of setup.

For my amp, I present:

str-gx211groa.jpg

Holy shit, my parents had that amp when I was a kid. I must have been like... 7-8 years old? I clearly remember the sound of the buttons and the feel of the volume knob.

I stereo setup probably hasn't changed that much since I posted in this thread back in 2012. I'm still using my old Sony DVD player, but I'm not listening to CDs anymore so it's just working as an amp. I've got some small satellites hooked up to it and a subwoofer. It is so mid- and low-freq centered so I'm also playing the same signal out from my TV which is nothing but high freq, so those two things are a match made in heaven.

But fuck... I don't listen to music on my stereo anymore. If anything I listen to it in my studio - and if not there I'll just put my bluetooth speaker in my pocket and bring it around the house.

Fuck stereos.