IGNORED

Blogs - Do We Need Them?

Joyrex

Should WATMM Keep The Blog Feature?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should WATMM Continue To Offer The Blog Feature?

The Blog license renewal is coming up (10USD for 6 months), and I noticed that the Blogs really aren't being utilized as much as they were - is this just a cyclic trend, or is it something that's passed it's time and is no longer needed? Or, do they need more exposure and relevance on the forums?

I'd like the opinions of those who currently have blogs here and those who who don't, to gauge opinions on whether or not something like this should be a feature of our community and if it adds anything worthwhile to it.

It's not about cost, so don't let that colour your opinion - just whether they're worth keeping or not. Not renewing the license wouldn't stop them from working, just not entitle us to any software updates, and they would eventually stop working when the board's main software updates to the point the blog software is no longer compatible.

I don't see the point. Users have plenty of opportunity to dump new music or wax lyrically within the auspices of the plethora of forums we have here.

It was a nice idea, back when there was a possibility that sites like this may become a life hub for members. That's clearly not ended up being the case for a number of reasons, some not worth dragging up, some too tedious or onerous to mention.

$10 bucks per six months ain't much coin though. So if some have tended their blogs through the time they've been available and would genuinely miss having the feature. welL...

Guest cult fiction

I have gotten about 1/10 of the hits to my bandcamp from the blog entry about my album as I have from the post in EKT New Releases.

That's despite the blog post being on the front page every day for over 2 months now.

So yeah, I don't mind blogs but I wouldn't be too heart broken if they disappeared.

I'm with The Face Culler. I have a blog here that I haven't updated for quite some time due to not having any new releases. There were a few people that checked it out, but I have enough presence in other places across the web that not having the blog would make little if any impact. If they stay I'll continue to use it in the same manner, if not it's really no big deal.

I liked it when you had that frontpage blog Joyrex about the latest rumors but I do not need user blogs. Everybody can create topics if they have something to say so why do we need blogs?

I liked it when you had that frontpage blog Joyrex about the latest rumors but I do not need user blogs. Everybody can create topics if they have something to say so why do we need blogs?

That was the site's News section... back when the site had content. Le sigh.

That was the site's News section... back when the site had content. Le sigh.

even if the content is gone you are doing a really great job keeping the forum up to date. I have been in forums that got their last update 2 years ago as they feel ipb updates are too expensive

Looks like the majority so far feel we don't need blogs - any blog owners who feel differently should contact me via PM as I'm probably going to retire them in the coming months.

I should tell you that the blogs are one of the main things that keep me thinking about paying for an account, which will make you half the money needed to keep them. Too bad I have no money right now.

Guest Gary C

You could donate anyway, and make a free blog (Wordpress, Blogspot, Tumblr). Link to it in your sig and you've got the same sort of effect.

i think for blogs here to really take off you'd need 1 or 2 people writing really good stuff, and if there were such types they would most likely have their own blog elsewhere that they could monetize.

You could donate anyway, and make a free blog (Wordpress, Blogspot, Tumblr). Link to it in your sig and you've got the same sort of effect.

Probably better, really.

I should tell you that the blogs are one of the main things that keep me thinking about paying for an account, which will make you half the money needed to keep them. Too bad I have no money right now.

This really isn't about the money, more a case of "trimming the fat" and not have features we don't utilize.

Archived