IGNORED

Who the hell masters Warps/ Squarepusher new album

amnesia

Guest cscairney

In all seriousness, who typically does do mastering work for WARP? Is it left up to the discretion of the artist, or does WARP have a stock company they hire out to do mastering work?

Since Go Plastic Tom has been mastering all his releases by himself.

Starting with shobaleader one he started mixing his releases with a Euphonix CS3000.

He described one of his mixing methods on the track cryptic motion:

For the mix, the rack of Euphonix ES108A dynamics modules was set up such that each tape track was running through its own channel or combination of channels (each ES108A has eight channels.) Every signal from tape was also made available as a side-chain source for every other ES108A channel, such that any track could be used to modify the dynamics of another. In the final mix down, the 909 bass drum and snare subtly compress pretty much every instrument, although seperately and in differing amounts rather than just clamping down the whole mix. The bassline elements are used to compress each other. The third bassline element compresses the guitar part and also one of the TX81Z keyboard parts. And so on!

I think the "stark" compression in ufabulum is quiet a departure from his past material.

Althought, i am not a strong fan of it , i think it is done tastefully and never reaches the abysmal mp3/radio frequency cutting we hear in pop music today or clarks over saturated sound mixing. Imho.

where is this info about his mixing setup from? I'd like to read the whole thing. Shobaleader One is my favorite album of his lately.

Guest CraniumXII

where is this info about his mixing setup from? I'd like to read the whole thing. Shobaleader One is my favorite album of his lately.

Welcome.... It's a Sound on Sound Magazine interview from May 2011... You can likely find a PDF around here somewhere.

Was talking about d'Demonstrator... So try threads relating to that or any interviews.

Guest teetime

Welcome.... It's a Sound on Sound Magazine interview from May 2011... You can likely find a PDF around here somewhere.

Was talking about d'Demonstrator... So try threads relating to that or any interviews.

Here it is. (Not the sound on sound one, but the cryptic motion article)

http://web.archive.o...cryptic-motion

Doesn't an old guy calling himself The Pork masters Warp's albums? (i know he did a lot of AFX's albums)

That was regarding pressing... the whole "A Porky Prime Cut"

Whats the deal with the compression. Its the reason I dont enjoy Clark's releases and now its all over the new Squarepusher release.

If you are not sure what I am talking about whenever a percussive sound comes in it sucks the sound in.

When I made this thread I never though Squarepusher would fall foul of it too - http://forum.watmm.com/topic/67654-a-request-to-the-modern-electronic-music-composer

(Though as an addendum, I'm yet to hear the Squarepusher album so the side-chain compression may have been done tastefully)

Guest CraniumXII

Whats the deal with the compression. Its the reason I dont enjoy Clark's releases and now its all over the new Squarepusher release.

If you are not sure what I am talking about whenever a percussive sound comes in it sucks the sound in.

When I made this thread I never though Squarepusher would fall foul of it too - http://forum.watmm.c...-music-composer

(Though as an addendum, I'm yet to hear the Squarepusher album so the side-chain compression may have been done tastefully)

Don't hold your breath!! While I think the album is fantastic, I do think it sounds awkward on certain tracks, but not all.

Guest cscairney

Here it is. (Not the sound on sound one, but the cryptic motion article)

http://web.archive.o...cryptic-motion

Thanks guys! been listening to Ufabulum/Enstrobia all morning beautiful.

Guest teetime

Interestingly enough, that Naweed dude who has done some of Clark's mastering (Body Riddle) has also done work for Rhianna and Beyonce and Sean Paul according to Discogs.

http://www.discogs.c...edits_Technical

Just Lol! That it comes to me as no suprise! Music for the hearing impaired and for those who wanted to be.

HAHA He also mixed Hudson Mohawke! The mixing on his releases seemed even worse than clarks.

richard d james

hey, RDJ's stuff is quality.

Everything before 1997 except HAB sounds horrible, sound quality-wise.

what about surfing on sine waves? I think it is pretty clean and consistent.

richard d james

You're right, SOSW is definitely an exception to the rdj sound quality rule.

richard d james

Even SOSW has that 'dirty' sound a lot of Richard's early stuff did - to be fair, I think that has more to do with his early equipment more than shoddy production. Then you take something like ICCT Hedral from ...I Care Because You Do and that all goes out the window!

Guest rotchnock

People complaining a teenager wasn't able to make his music sound good.

Steinvord sounds pretty damn solid to me

Guest spprw

People complaining a teenager wasn't able to make his music sound good.

Steinvord sounds pretty damn solid to me

:angry:

Archived