IGNORED

Women and the IDMz

Ifeelspace

I frequently think of it this way: there is so much music out there these days that it's impossible to hear it all even though only a few million people produce music, it's still too much for a single person. So it's more like we were astronauts in space, recolting star dust and shiny stuff that we find fascinating. However some people prefered to stay on earth because they are not curious. They don't have the sparkle or didn't find it yet. Most don't really give a shit. Their horizons are very short. People who look for new stardust are more interesting. It doesn't matter what kind of music you listen to the most, what matters is that you do and look for more. Having a passion shows that you are aware of your limits and you want to depass yourself. This goes for any kind of cultural activity. So yes, what your girlfriend listens to matters. If painting her nails is the only thing she cares about, then yes, she is a stupid uninteresting bitch. You're not on the same conscience realm, she's only fit for fucking.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

I frequently think of it this way: there is so much music out there these days that it's impossible to hear it all even though only a few million people produce music, it's still too much for a single person. So it's more like we were astronauts in space, recolting star dust and shiny stuff that we find fascinating. However some people prefered to stay on earth because they are not curious. They don't have the sparkle or didn't find it yet. Most don't really give a shit. Their horizons are very short. People who look for new stardust are more interesting. It doesn't matter what kind of music you listen to the most, what matters is that you do and look for more. Having a passion shows that you are aware of your limits and you want to depass yourself. This goes for any kind of cultural activity. So yes, what your girlfriend listens to matters. If painting her nails is the only thing she cares about, then yes, she is a stupid uninteresting bitch. You're not on the same conscience realm, she's only fit for fucking.

what if she is deeply interested in looking for new stardust concerning the world of nail polish?

tumblr_lzj405XFex1rphjveo1_500.jpg

what if she is deeply interested in looking for new stardust concerning the world of nail polish?

I guess that must count for something. It's not all there is though imo. Personally the few interesting people I know have nice interests in general.

It could have to do with culture and gender stereotyping actually making girls like and dislike certain things. More is expected of girls and I feel like they're more pressured to "fit in" to their stereotype and have less freedom culturally to express themselves. This is, fortunately, changing.

Guest Rambo

It could have to do with culture and gender stereotyping actually making girls like and dislike certain things. More is expected of girls and I feel like they're more pressured to "fit in" to their stereotype and have less freedom culturally to express themselves. This is, fortunately, changing.

I think there's probably a nugget of truth in there. Maybe doesn't explain the entire thing but definitely some truth. On the other hand there's an incentive to like the IDM's as a girl because you become like golddust in those circles.

Guest Rambo

Yes, but we're not high status males. And anyway that wouldn't be about music appreciation then would it. But hanging around groupie style.

The thing is, gmanyo is saying the same thing: that it's not about the music. He's saying it's cultural pressures. Tbh i think that could only ever explain it to a small degree. I can't help but think people are drawn to things that they are good at/things that come naturally to them/can relate to. It's like when you get these kids who are early developers and are amazing on the piano or art etc. They find the piano sooner or later, nothing's going to stop them.

Guest fiznuthian

I sit around jacking off to Autechre glitches and Aphex snare rushes... but women don't have dicks so they're not capable of appreciating it quite like I do..

Yes, but we're not high status males. And anyway that wouldn't be about music appreciation then would it. But hanging around groupie style.

The thing is, gmanyo is saying the same thing: that it's not about the music. He's saying it's cultural pressures. Tbh i think that could only ever explain it to a small degree. I can't help but think people are drawn to things that they are good at/things that come naturally to them/can relate to. It's like when you get these kids who are early developers and are amazing on the piano or art etc. They find the piano sooner or later, nothing's going to stop them.

Define natural pls

Guest couch

I never thought of the IDMz as being somehow biased towards one gender or another.

It is a bit difficult to get into it though. Hence all the robot noise comments from people unfamiliar with the music. Lots of people do not enjoy the challenge of difficult music.

i think music is highly cultural. if your culture values the banjo and not the piano, the local musical prodigy is gonna grow up playing bluegrass instead of classical music. he'll be damn good at it, too.

i guess it depends on the person though. for most people, i'm inclined to say that culture dictates most of their musical preferences (you know, pop music). for example, all of the white, upper middle class, college-aged female friends i know listen to lana del ray, katie perry and lady gaga. all of them. but i fit that demographic too and i like mostly electronic stuff. i started listening to electronic music because at a very young age i just knew that it sounded good and that's what i liked. it didn't really have a cultural basis (although i did listen to some crappy music as a kid like green day and my chemical romance that could definitely be blamed on social pressures).

i mean, think about it. how do you hear about new music? most people learn about new artists through the recommendations of their friends, what's being played on the radio, or what vh1 or mtv are showing that week. they don't scour last.fm and soundcloud for new music that sounds good. their preferences are like 70% "my friends say they like this" and 30% "i think this sounds good."

i might be wrong but it makes sense to me.

Yes, that was gonna be my next post, but i couldn't have been fukt. That you like this music is because it speaks personally to you. You usually find it yourself, not through groupthink.. You might be lucky enough to be exposed once to a certain track or sound and then off you go, seeking ever more from that delicious box of treats.

I think that i was programmed with a lot of this music already in me. Sure culture has determined the shape in which it was delivered to my ears and somewhat shaped my preferences. But on the other hand now we have easy access to every culture's music through recording, if you are interested in sound this all becomes part of your musical journey. Your ears should be by your very nature unfussed by the mode du jour.

----

So to the proposition that not many girls appear to be into texturally complex music. I don't think they can point to the idea that it was culture that was holding them back from exploring these sounds. Because to be into these sounds requires happily ignoring culture. Being the outsider whose tastes in music no one at school gets, just quietly pursuing it for the the sheer love of it.

OR

In defence of the idea that culture is holding women back from listening to this music (and by extension reading this argument). It could be argued in that in general a woman is much less the individualist than your average gent is. They do care what the group thinks of something and act accordingly. So therefore are less likely to push on into musical listening realms unknown. But i don't think this is the argument that most women would like as a fall back position. And as you said, i don't think it explains all of (the glaringly obvious) what is going on.

Guest sirch

women don't like/get IDM because people call it IDM, for a start. it sounds ridiculous and geeky right from the get-go.

what music do you like?

IDM.

what's that?

errmmm, well, it's intellgent dance music.

what? intelligent music?

yeah.

Guest ruiagnelo

women don't like/get IDM because people call it IDM, for a start. it sounds ridiculous and geeky right from the get-go.

what music do you like?

IDM.

what's that?

what? intelligent music?

yeah.

your post made me laugh mate, because it is so true!

IDM is probably the most pretentious, elitist and ridiculous concept that humans have ever thought about

women dont like idm because they want to be as generic as fuck liking the typical: metal, classic rock, metal, pop, pop and mainstream shit like radiohead and sigur ros or bjork... well most of them, and since most of the big tall black men like that shit... well

i wish i had a girlfriend that loved alva noto and sakamoto as much as i do... but no sad sad sad

Guest sirch

what music do you like?

IDM.

what's that?

what? intelligent music?

yeah.

your post made me laugh mate, because it is so true!

IDM is probably the most pretentious, elitist and ridiculous concept that humans have ever thought about

truth mate, truth. pretentious and ridiculous as fuck!!

Guest sirch

women dont like idm because they want to be as generic as fuck liking the typical: metal, classic rock, metal, pop, pop and mainstream shit like radiohead and sigur ros or bjork... well most of them, and since most of the big tall black men like that shit... well

i wish i had a girlfriend that loved alva noto and sakamoto as much as i do... but no sad sad sad

eh? Bjork and Radiohead aren't generic as fuck or typical. imo anyway. quite the opposite, in fact.

Every time something sexist gets posted in this thread God appears in a burning bush to a young electronic music prodigy & convinces them to start playing acoustic guitar instead. He also kills a kitten because most IDM fans are cat people.

yeah i was just trying to be as descriptive as possible... but also, they're some girls that actually like the idmz ^^, my sister, she's really into kettel right now :P

Every time something sexist gets posted in this thread God appears in a burning bush to a young electronic music prodigy & convinces them to start playing acoustic guitar instead. He also kills a kitten because most IDM fans are cat people.

So you are saying that, god is both killing our competition in the marketplace of ideas. And that he is into korean bbQ.

that's super.

Guest sirch

seriously though, if you hope to get a girl into/liking 'warp-style' electronic music, don't call it "IDM".

Archived