IGNORED

Did Warp really use mp3s for some tracks on 26 Mixes?

Guest spprw

battles, by the way, seem like they would be best appreciated live. they are a band I would see live but not buy any of their albums

Actually I prefer their recordings. They didn't do much in the way of deviating from the recorded versions when I saw them live.

really? I would've guessed the complete opposite; like their studio work was the restrained version

They might have changed since Braxton left the band though; I last saw them four years ago.

Here's the full story (since I was somewhat involved in it/aware of it at the time): Another label (don't know which one) was getting ready to release a compilation of Richard's remixes (since the majority of them were for labels other than WARP/Rephlex), and when WARP got wind of it, they did a mad scramble to get the rights/masters for all his remixes.

I couldn't ask the community on WATMM at the time as I was told to keep things quiet since they were obviously trying to beat the other label to the punch. Was I able to do so, I'm certain one of us on here would have had either or both on CD so we could have gotten at least Redbook Audio versions of the tracks.

this seems odd, though. would any other label have the rights to release a compilation like this though? most likely not. warp could have issued an injunction stopping the whole thing. that is unless this other label was just going to put out a white label/bootleg kind of thing. I just don't understand warp's mad scramble and panic to get this out by any means necessary before some other label put out something they had no rights to in the first place (unless they weren't going to credit it to "Aphex Twin", but there would still be an issue.)

and yes, the thing about the songs being issued exclusively in japan is relevant. it's a copyright thing. they are national protections, so for the same reason you'll find uploads on youtube of 'stone in focus' and 'hankie' from SAW2, but many of the other tracks from the same album get taken down through a copyright claim. these songs were never released in the united states, so the since there's no american copyright on them, no one seems to mind them being uploaded.

I think you missed the point - WARP nor the other label had 'rights' to release these tracks as a compilation (the other label was either seeking the rights or planning to release this as a bootleg), and the reason WARP scrambled to beat them to the punch was to prevent another label from making money off the Aphex Twin name (the other label could have easily released it as "Aphex Twin's Mixes Compilation" and Richard/WARP would have gotten no credit beyond any royalties due them (and it wouldn't have featured the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes). They couldn't have issued an injunction or any sort of legal remedy to stop this being released as they didn't have the rights to begin with.

And you're barking up the wrong tree in regards to tracks being on YouTube - it all boils down to how protective labels want to be in ensuring they are being compensated for their copyrighted works being used. As it stands, you'll find quite a few Aphex Twin tracks on YouTube, and Warner or WARP aren't issuing takedown notices to YouTube, are they?

Keep in mind the Gavin Bryars remix was released in the US, so my query about whether either being also issued in Japan was just a passing though, and probably nothing behind it.

battles, by the way, seem like they would be best appreciated live. they are a band I would see live but not buy any of their albums

Actually I prefer their recordings. They didn't do much in the way of deviating from the recorded versions when I saw them live.

really? I would've guessed the complete opposite; like their studio work was the restrained version

RIP spprw, another one bites the dust, he was one hell of an afx fan though :beer:

He can disagree with me or question what I'm saying - don't make me out to be some ogre that will ban someone for doing so. After all, you're still here, right? :emotawesomepm9:

Then why 2 make this compilation if they have no rights? Is it in touch with Richard's contract at Warp?

Well, they acquired the rights to the tracks, hence why they released the compilation. As for it having anything to do with Richard's contract at WARP - I dunno if it would count as an album towards that. Then again, that was the last Aphex Twin release on WARP, so he might have fulfilled his contract with them with 26 Mixes...

Here's the full story (since I was somewhat involved in it/aware of it at the time): Another label (don't know which one) was getting ready to release a compilation of Richard's remixes (since the majority of them were for labels other than WARP/Rephlex), and when WARP got wind of it, they did a mad scramble to get the rights/masters for all his remixes.

I couldn't ask the community on WATMM at the time as I was told to keep things quiet since they were obviously trying to beat the other label to the punch. Was I able to do so, I'm certain one of us on here would have had either or both on CD so we could have gotten at least Redbook Audio versions of the tracks.

this seems odd, though. would any other label have the rights to release a compilation like this though? most likely not. warp could have issued an injunction stopping the whole thing. that is unless this other label was just going to put out a white label/bootleg kind of thing. I just don't understand warp's mad scramble and panic to get this out by any means necessary before some other label put out something they had no rights to in the first place (unless they weren't going to credit it to "Aphex Twin", but there would still be an issue.)

and yes, the thing about the songs being issued exclusively in japan is relevant. it's a copyright thing. they are national protections, so for the same reason you'll find uploads on youtube of 'stone in focus' and 'hankie' from SAW2, but many of the other tracks from the same album get taken down through a copyright claim. these songs were never released in the united states, so the since there's no american copyright on them, no one seems to mind them being uploaded.

I think you missed the point - WARP nor the other label had 'rights' to release these tracks as a compilation (the other label was either seeking the rights or planning to release this as a bootleg), and the reason WARP scrambled to beat them to the punch was to prevent another label from making money off the Aphex Twin name (the other label could have easily released it as "Aphex Twin's Mixes Compilation" and Richard/WARP would have gotten no credit beyond any royalties due them (and it wouldn't have featured the SAW II and Windowlicker remixes). They couldn't have issued an injunction or any sort of legal remedy to stop this being released as they didn't have the rights to begin with.

And you're barking up the wrong tree in regards to tracks being on YouTube - it all boils down to how protective labels want to be in ensuring they are being compensated for their copyrighted works being used. As it stands, you'll find quite a few Aphex Twin tracks on YouTube, and Warner or WARP aren't issuing takedown notices to YouTube, are they?

Keep in mind the Gavin Bryars remix was released in the US, so my query about whether either being also issued in Japan was just a passing though, and probably nothing behind it.

RIP spprw, another one bites the dust, he was one hell of an afx fan though :beer:

He can disagree with me or question what I'm saying - don't make me out to be some ogre that will ban someone for doing so. After all, you're still here, right? :emotawesomepm9:

I don't think of you like that joyrex, it just kinda looked a bit like a revitute thread, a lot of wacky people write on the afx sub :crazy:

I don't think of you like that joyrex, it just kinda looked a bit like a revitute thread, a lot of wacky people write on the afx sub :crazy:

No, unlike a Revitute thread, this has SUBSTANCE.

The Heroes Remix was definitely sourced from mp3 as Warp (and Richard apparently) could no longer locate the DAT; looking at the 26 Mixes copy through a spectrogram reveals this.

Heroes is only available in it's full quality on a really obscure Japanese 3" CD release I think.

lol, I never knew.... I guess this is pretty rare then? *insert smug grin*

r0N7k.jpg

Edited by Gocab

I unfortunately at the time didn't have either of those releases (wasn't really concentrating on collecting the remixes at the time), so I imagine they ended up indeed using MP3 audio of the tracks in order to get them on the compilation.

They didn't get it from you so you "imagine"? That's how dumbass rumours and 3 page threads get started.

Hate to be a skeptic guys, but I need proof to believe that Warp Or AFX would be so irresponsible. If Warp had to aquire rights from all of the other labels, it seems they might demand a master from said labels.

Hate to be a skeptic guys, but I need proof to believe that Warp Or AFX would be so irresponsible. If Warp had to aquire rights from all of the other labels, it seems they might demand a master from said labels.

it's a well known fact.

you are free to be a skeptic, but be advised that if you take this stance, you are wrong.

What would qualify as proof to you? I could probably find the emails regarding it, but who's to say I didn't fake those? Who's to say I'm not Snares, Richard and Boards combined, and this site is all a conspiracy to get you to disclose your hidden cache of mummified bacon strips you've held in high regard since you were aged 6?

That's cool, but since this is FACT.....can I at least have 1 SHRED of evidence? I mean besides Joyrex Imagining...

if you own the CDs of 26 Mixes For Cash, the evidence is right there. All you need to do is listen. Or if your ears are as fucked up as your head is, you could try putting them through a spectrograph.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm gonna come right out and tell you that you are an annoying fuck, much like the religious cultists.

That's cool, but since this is FACT.....can I at least have 1 SHRED of evidence? I mean besides Joyrex Imagining...

I trust in Joyrex and he shares a lot of internal infos you would normally never get. He is so kind to share his experiences with us and well, regarding the 26MFC it can be simply heard that some of the tracks suffer from a low quality. There is vinylpopping, background hiss in a not normal way, mastering or encoding glitches and at least the editing (well, this was made to fit on 2 CDs properly).

You maybe don't realize it when you hear it as a background, but listened close it reveals his changing quality.

Ohhh and regarding your question of a proper master: it's pretty annoying when people think musicbusiness is absolutely easy and for dummies. No it's not and when you would be in Germany you would recognize that licensing and music distribution is a wide field of rights you would understand when you have studied it.

Heroes: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350027.jpg

Your Head My Voice: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350028.jpg

Heroes: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350027.jpg

Your Head My Voice: Top - From original release, Bottom - From 28 Remixes for Cash

331_1350028.jpg

THIS is proof. That's all I was asking for... Thanks.

to get you to disclose your hidden cache of mummified bacon strips you've held in high regard since you were aged 6?

Is there a story behind this? lol

if you own the CDs of 26 Mixes For Cash, the evidence is right there. All you need to do is listen. Or if your ears are as fucked up as your head is, you could try putting them through a spectrograph.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'm gonna come right out and tell you that you are an annoying fuck, much like the religious cultists.

Funny, religious cultists believe what they are told WITHOUT proof. Oh and eat a dick.

Guest ruiagnelo

Funny, religious cultists believe what they are told WITHOUT proof. Oh and eat a dick.

Lost

Edited by ruiagnelo

Hey now, there's a difference between poking fun like I did and being rude and mean. Chill.

to get you to disclose your hidden cache of mummified bacon strips you've held in high regard since you were aged 6?

Is there a story behind this? lol

No, just having a laugh at madnessR's expense. No harm intended.