http://www.touchmusi...vaya_zemly.html

"CD - jewel case + booklet - 3 tracks - 36:36

Artwork & Photography by Jon Wozencroft

Mastered by Denis Blackham

Track Listing:

1. Novaya Zemlya 1

2. Novaya Zemlya 2

3. Novaya Zemlya 3

The artwork, by Jon Wozencroft, includes an essay by Thierry Charollais, "Thomas Köner's Novaya Zemlya: towards a metaphysical geography"... "Of course we find the unique Koneresque glowing drones that we know from his previous works. But we will also be touched by an unrevealed, barely perceptible sense of melody and harmony that Köner gradually developed since Kaamos (1998) and Nuuk (2004)."

Novaya Zemlya (Russian: Но́вая Земля́; IPA: [ˈnovəjə zʲɪmˈlʲæ], lit. New Land), also known in Dutch as Nova Zembla and in Norwegian as Gåselandet(lit. the Goose Land), is an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean in the north of Russia and the extreme northeast of Europe, the easternmost point of Europe, lying at Cape Flissingsky on the northern island."

Saddened to see that it's only 36 minutes, though I'm sure it'll be awesome, and that Touch really does seem to be using jewel cases now for certain releases. I'll miss their Delga digipaks.

*jots it down*

so was this recorded anywhere near Nova Zembla at all?

I assume so? Wish there was more information.

Guest Enter a new display name

I doubt Thomas Köner records his music in isolated northern locations. Like Nuuk, Novaya Zemlya must be simply inspired by the Arctic. Nevertheless, I'm psyched for this album.

**still waits for the ultimate Thomas Köner boxset on Type Records**

I doubt Thomas Köner records his music in isolated northern locations. Like Nuuk, Novaya Zemlya must be simply inspired by the Arctic. Nevertheless, I'm psyched for this album.

**still waits for the ultimate Thomas Köner boxset on Type Records**

I had a small chat with him. He said its mostly real instruments like a piano, Tamtam etc.

Just got into Thomas Koner.

Why did I just recently found out about the guy? I've been missing out this mans great ambients all these years...

Looking forward to this one

Oh my the sample is breathtaking. It's like witnessing the slow crumbling of a huge glacier or long since abandoned city from afar on a small boat, at twilight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Boomkat also now have it as a digital vinyls mp3 & flac purchase: http://boomkat.com/d...r-novaya-zemlya

EDIT: I'll tell you what you don't want to do, be quizzical and see what happens when you speed a Thomas Koner track up by about 400-500%. It's like pulling back the wizard's curtain (is that the phrase, sounds like a disgusting euphemism) to reveal the tricks behind lots of the alien sounds... Saying that though it really doesn't spoil things when you then hear it back again at the normal speed, he mixes sounds so bloody amazingly - another artist I'd love to hear in a studio setting played at proper volume on high quality monitors

Archived