IGNORED

"MF Doom says he's done with the US"

takeshi

from an article in Q Magazine

When face mask-wearing rapper MF Doom-aka-Daniel Dumile-returned home to the US in late 2010 after only his second foreign tour in a 20-year career he met a force even a supervillain couldn't vanquish-a US immigration officer saying no. British-born Dumile moved to the US as a baby, but was never naturalised, so avoided leaving the country. But in 2010, possibly assuming his American wife and five kids would be enough to secure re-entry, he obtained a British passport and set out on tour.

On return he met with an official who "just wanted to see how many people she could make have a bad day that day". Doom didn't tell her his profession, making him the only rapper ever not to give it the Big I Am. "Imagine me saying that," he says with a laugh. "I'm no big rap star, I'm a regular guy."

Since then he's been holed up in South London. Though he can't expand on his ongoing case, except to say "there's a lot of legalities", he's putting his enforced return to London to good use, collaborating with Thom Yorke, Damon Albarn and Beth Gibbons, the latter two for upcoming album Key To The Kuffs, recorded as JJ Doom with producer Jneiro Jarel. "This record is in more of a pop-rock direction, so it wasn't too much of a leap for her," he says of the Portishead singer. "It's the record I would've made if I'd been [raised] here."

UKTV gets a look-in too, with Cockney accents and a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding reference. He's been soaking up vintage crime capers, praising Minder and The Professionals, but strangely not Inspector Morse. "I caught a couple of episodes, but the slang is so thick I can't decipher what they're talking about."

Most of all, though, he likes Britain's drink culture. "The whole alcohol thing is incredible over here," he raves. "Being able to drink outside without a policeman coming and arresting me, that's crazy." Crazy enough to make him consider relocation? "I'm done with the United States, it's no big deal."

While I don't think he's serious about not coming back to the US it probably doesn't bode well for all his upcoming collabs. JJ DOOM was supposed to come out sometime this month last I heard but that's obviously not happening. Then there's the Doomface (DOOM & Ghostface) album they keep saying they're going to make and, of course, everyone's still waiting for Madvillain 2.

Probably had some outstanding drug charges, hence the "there's lots of legalities" - I could be (and probably am) wrong though - seems odd someone who's lived in the US for that long would be denied re-entry, although with the messed up TSA, I could see it happening.

Actually I've had friends with the same issue. A friend of mine (dutch) had a green card and lived there for like 10 years. He moved back to the netherlands for 6-7 years, and then decided to go for a visit to NYC to meet some friends. Ended up spending literally about 18 hours sitting a chair, allowed only to stand to go to the toilet, being interrogated by some TSA choad. Apparently having long term residence, then leaving and coming back is considered suspicious behavior. It really does not surprise me too much. US security has reached new and retarded heights.

Guest Etch

I went to a 'music industry' friend of mines house a couple of weeks ago and we popped next door to his bosses place. Gues who's asleep on the sofa.

from an article in Q Magazine

When face mask-wearing rapper MF Doom-aka-Daniel Dumile-returned home to the US in late 2010 after only his second foreign tour in a 20-year career he met a force even a supervillain couldn't vanquish-a US immigration officer saying no. British-born Dumile moved to the US as a baby, but was never naturalised, so avoided leaving the country. But in 2010, possibly assuming his American wife and five kids would be enough to secure re-entry, he obtained a British passport and set out on tour.

On return he met with an official who "just wanted to see how many people she could make have a bad day that day". Doom didn't tell her his profession, making him the only rapper ever not to give it the Big I Am. "Imagine me saying that," he says with a laugh. "I'm no big rap star, I'm a regular guy."

Since then he's been holed up in South London. Though he can't expand on his ongoing case, except to say "there's a lot of legalities", he's putting his enforced return to London to good use, collaborating with Thom Yorke, Damon Albarn and Beth Gibbons, the latter two for upcoming album Key To The Kuffs, recorded as JJ Doom with producer Jneiro Jarel. "This record is in more of a pop-rock direction, so it wasn't too much of a leap for her," he says of the Portishead singer. "It's the record I would've made if I'd been [raised] here."

UKTV gets a look-in too, with Cockney accents and a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding reference. He's been soaking up vintage crime capers, praising Minder and The Professionals, but strangely not Inspector Morse. "I caught a couple of episodes, but the slang is so thick I can't decipher what they're talking about."

Most of all, though, he likes Britain's drink culture. "The whole alcohol thing is incredible over here," he raves. "Being able to drink outside without a policeman coming and arresting me, that's crazy." Crazy enough to make him consider relocation? "I'm done with the United States, it's no big deal."

While I don't think he's serious about not coming back to the US it probably doesn't bode well for all his upcoming collabs. JJ DOOM was supposed to come out sometime this month last I heard but that's obviously not happening. Then there's the Doomface (DOOM & Ghostface) album they keep saying they're going to make and, of course, everyone's still waiting for Madvillain 2.

Your avatar gets my approval

too bad the UK is just as bad if not worse than the united states in relation to what he's saying. maybe not the drinking thing (because UK has such a built in culture of functional alcoholism) but as far as civil rights go they're both pretty fucked

too bad the UK is just as bad if not worse than the united states in relation to what he's saying. maybe not the drinking thing (because UK has such a built in culture of functional alcoholism) but as far as civil rights go they're both pretty fucked

I would think America has it far worse in terms of civil rights.

I mean, I know youre not allowed be vocally racist in the UK but I think they can live without that.

Archived