IGNORED

Quino-Phec

Lane Visitor

So, I've been listening to SOSW a lot lately, and I was thinking that Quino-Phec really sounds like something that could have/should have been on SAW II (although I love it as the last SOSW track and I think it completes the beautifully eerie album quite nicely). I just wonder if Quino-Phec used the same gear/synthesis/process that many of the similar SAW II tracks used, and/or if it was made around the same time, like maybe came from the same batch of tracks? I know someone mentioned that one of the On remixes has a similar feel. Any thoughts on this?

Guest ruiagnelo

it has that same impressionist painting feel and blur to it, so it might simply be an outtake from SAW II

Agreed... It's extremely relaxing, quaint and hazy/dreamy feeling. It also sounds like it's capturing some event going on from a far distance. This Youtube comment I saw on the track, I think, is a pretty cool description:

"This track is like dying in a Victorian penny arcade and floating above the freak show."

In general, there's just something very compelling to me about SOSW, can't figure out what it is, something draws me to it (in a similar way that SAW II affects me). Everything from the tribal percussion on Quoth to the sepia nature/trasportation-themed artwork. I never get tired of it- it's synthetic, yet strangely primal and organic feeling, rich, exciting, mysterious and invigorating, weird, dark, and gives off this sense of openness that just seems infinite to me... It's just a sexy f____ing album!

Anyway, I easily go off on tangents, don't mind me (;

That's an amazing track innit. I'm happy it was on SOSW, cause it only adds to the atmosphere. Not to mention the bonus tracks and the Quoth EP. Great stuff :music:

It really is.. And yes, the bonus tracks! Don't get me started on how dope Portreath Harbour is ;D

SOSW is one of my favourite albums.

It has a great sense of mysticism and imagination to it.

I can see what you mean regarding Quino Phec and SAWII. I always associate the SOSW album with certain types of colours, so when I try to think of Quino Phec being on SAWII I have to rethink my response to the track.

why does sosw sound so much better than other afx from that period? it was produced really quite well, comparatively. at least to me anyway, i like the sound

Guest spprw

I know the song that's referred to as 'Rhubarb' is on there, but if 'Quino-phec' were on SAW2, it would be the best song on the album. Or at least in the top 2.

There's also a song on Drukqs that could easily have been a SAW2 track. 'Gwerly Mernans' was it called?

• 2 years later...

great tune, just made it through SOSW yesterday to take a break from the soundcloud tracks.

Quino-Phec is very similar to Grass from SAW II, but i think its fits perfectly with SOSW's atmosphere, it makes sense.

agreed! albiet much less eerie. As the LP's close, its a very fitting transition to the SAW II LP. Interestingly enough, too, the close of SAW II [match sticks] seems as a fitting prelude to ICBYD. The chronology of releases is consistent in this case.

SOSW is one of my favourite albums.

It has a great sense of mysticism and imagination to it.

I can see what you mean regarding Quino Phec and SAWII. I always associate the SOSW album with certain types of colours, so when I try to think of Quino Phec being on SAWII I have to rethink my response to the track.

Yes, I feel this album really captures deep feelings of isolation and remoteness.

If it really is me and UTI - Dot is are two of the best RDJ tracks ever IMO, my Dad bought the tape of this when it came out, I used to listen to it on my paper round.

I still listen to it weekly and I haven't gotten used to the extra tracks on the re-release, they kinda break it up for me, but I alternate between the two releases.

Archived