IGNORED

Perception of time

soma333

Someone mentioned temporal perception of time or whatnot

Its definitely obvious that time changes whilst depressed as hell. It's like not only is time slower, but you feel like the end of your own time is near (!!!)

Interesting side note..

This makes me wonder how you'd perceive the last few moments of your own life with the DMT rushing into your brain, realizing that everything and everyone you know will be gone.

Could that moment last an eternity?

it could come down to routine.

the older you get the more set in your ways you become because of things you routinely do.

that makes us stuck using the same thought processes and time flies by because we are in the moment doing what we enjoy which causes time to lapse

we stay this way, forming new habits and new bits of routine because it's comforting. but also lose time.

hope that makes sense.

Guest AcrossCanyons

i came across this while looking into something and it makes the most sense (going with what others have said about unique experiences)

"Actually they have done some research into this and here is the latest theory that I've heard from a neuroscience magazine.

In short, your brain is wired to catalogue and remember new experiences. When you are young, most of what you are doing is learning. Even when you aren't realizing it, you are constantly observing new things, having new interactions, and learning new things about the world and how it works. However, as you get older, you have fewer and fewer "original" experiences so your brain tends to gloss over them, storing them as groups instead of individual moments.

The effect is that during childhood you are remembering and cataloging many more experiences and so times seems to pass slower. It isn't actually passing slower of course, you are just remembering more specific incidents between two points, which skewers your perception of time. As you get older, your brain groups like experiences and you remember fewer instances between two points, so time seems to pass faster.

It's also why people can usually clearly remember events like their wedding, their first day on the job, the birth of their child, etc, because those things are rare and unique events, but they have trouble telling you what happened at work last Thursday because unless something unique happened that day it was just like 1000 other Thursdays at work that they've experienced. The brain just kinda glosses over it as a common experience.

Another common example is driving. Have you ever driven a road so many times (the same route to and from work or the grocery store for years, let's say) that sometimes you get home and honestly don't remember driving the route? That's your brain essentially ignoring the experience because there was nothing novel about it. When you are 16 and learning to drive, you never zone out like that because the roads and driving itself is so new and you are still learning. But at 35, driving is so second nature you often have such "blackout" periods. you don't actually blackout and you aren't unsafe, but after the fact, your brain just ignores the experience.

I hope that makes sense, but basically more unique experiences happen more often when you are young and that leads to more memories and brain pathways being actively formed and that leads to a perception that time is moving slower, but as you age you have fewer unique experiences and so your brain doesn't differentiate them and because you remember fewer unique events it seems as if time is passing faster.

If you want time to pass slower, go experience new things as often as possible."

i hate having that combination of feeling like everything happened yesterday but also a lifetime ago, at the same time, and then i have to put fucking Boards of Canada on and cry into my knees, naked, in the fetal position, looking at the clock on my mobile phone, because that's the only clocks we have these days, clocks that you speak in to, because they're also a phone

and yet the earth revolves around the sun at a fairly constant rate. meaning day and night are, and always have been, no longer or shorter than ever.

When one is busy, one does not notice the passage of time (and it is not necessarily because one is interested in the task at hand) with such ease.

When one is idle, with naught to do but count the seconds or hours, time weighs heavily because it is upon that which one is focused.

i hate having that combination of feeling like everything happened yesterday but also a lifetime ago, at the same time, and then i have to put fucking Boards of Canada on and cry into my knees, naked, in the fetal position, looking at the clock on my mobile phone, because that's the only clocks we have these days, clocks that you speak in to, because they're also a phone

this touched my soul

• 2 months later...

i came across this while looking into something and it makes the most sense (going with what others have said about unique experiences)

"Actually they have done some research into this and here is the latest theory that I've heard from a neuroscience magazine.

In short, your brain is wired to catalogue and remember new experiences. When you are young, most of what you are doing is learning. Even when you aren't realizing it, you are constantly observing new things, having new interactions, and learning new things about the world and how it works. However, as you get older, you have fewer and fewer "original" experiences so your brain tends to gloss over them, storing them as groups instead of individual moments.

The effect is that during childhood you are remembering and cataloging many more experiences and so times seems to pass slower. It isn't actually passing slower of course, you are just remembering more specific incidents between two points, which skewers your perception of time. As you get older, your brain groups like experiences and you remember fewer instances between two points, so time seems to pass faster.

It's also why people can usually clearly remember events like their wedding, their first day on the job, the birth of their child, etc, because those things are rare and unique events, but they have trouble telling you what happened at work last Thursday because unless something unique happened that day it was just like 1000 other Thursdays at work that they've experienced. The brain just kinda glosses over it as a common experience.

Another common example is driving. Have you ever driven a road so many times (the same route to and from work or the grocery store for years, let's say) that sometimes you get home and honestly don't remember driving the route? That's your brain essentially ignoring the experience because there was nothing novel about it. When you are 16 and learning to drive, you never zone out like that because the roads and driving itself is so new and you are still learning. But at 35, driving is so second nature you often have such "blackout" periods. you don't actually blackout and you aren't unsafe, but after the fact, your brain just ignores the experience.

I hope that makes sense, but basically more unique experiences happen more often when you are young and that leads to more memories and brain pathways being actively formed and that leads to a perception that time is moving slower, but as you age you have fewer unique experiences and so your brain doesn't differentiate them and because you remember fewer unique events it seems as if time is passing faster.

If you want time to pass slower, go experience new things as often as possible."

fuckin a

Guest viscosity

This makes me wonder how you'd perceive the last few moments of your own life with the DMT rushing into your brain, realizing that everything and everyone you know will be gone.

Or when you sleep for a few minutes and have a full length dream, that seems to span much longer than the length of time you were asleep. Dissociatives can also do this, it's like complete sensory deprivation, all you have are skewed memories and a total loss of any sense of time. It feels like you're completely stopping your temporal clock.

Imagine you have only an hour to live. You live for half an hour, then you live for 15 minutes, then for 7.5 minutes, etc. All these periods, no matter how small, you perceive as equally long. Now if you're living in a sort of dream world, in your own consciousness, you'll feel like living forever.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard-Boiled_Wonderland_and_the_End_of_the_World

But of course there are limits to how fast the brain can work, the speed at which electronic pulses can travel and chemicals can react. Still an interesting theory.

Archived