IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Sources: The P&P Records Soul/Disco Anthology Box set

ideal for the warming weather plus the distilled genius of Pete Brown, prob not the first name to list on a forum that focuses on more recent music, but fk me its moody, crackling, thumptastic, 4/4 heaven for Trumptastic times

disco is such a strange beast when lurking on its own margins, sneered @ for not "being on the 1" by soul heads, but like the post-punk realms show, if you dig deeper some incredible sounds can be experienced

never cheesy transcendental 4x4/10

Right now I'm halfway through Cryptograms ​(Deerhunter)

​Just can never decide with this album whether it's a work of mad genius or a total fucking disaster. Obviously the band have talent and have the chops as they prove in the future. I can hear glimmers of brilliance within the murk, but it just sounds an incoherent mess. Even their best albums are pretty wonky imho.

I'm pretty sure if I was chilled out and mildly tripping in the sunshine somewhere in a glorious green countryside it would sound much, much better than sitting in a wooden shed down the bottom of an English garden under a gloomy grey sky, trying hard to work this thing out (for the umpteenth time).

i've been on a deerhunter kick as of late. this album doesn't do much for me (spring hall convert and hazel st are the only tracks i like) but i don't think the production/recording quality serves it very well. i heard they were not happy with it and i can see why. it's one of the few albums i'd love to hear completely rerecorded since the live versions of these songs are superior.

listened to halcyon digest, which was a big summer/fall album for me back in 2010/2011. i still like it a lot, it flows extremely well. earthquake sounds uncannily like porcupine tree - the sky moves sideways phase 1 and the rising synth sound in alan parsons project - nucleus. i find i can't remember a lot of tracks on this one, it's all kind of a summery smudge. 

the revelation for me is monomania. i hated this album when it came out. i gave it maybe three listens when it came out and dismissed it as a failure. listening to it now, i think it might be their strongest work. extremely focused, love the exile on main st. swamp guitar, the ramones melodies. it's a very good album. weird how time and the lifting of expectation can change my opinion about something.

Been running the Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith gauntlet for the past couple days getting pumped for the show on Thursday. EARS is still my favorite but I have a much bigger appreciation for Euclid and Tides after giving them further spins.

Been getting into the Rolando Simmons/Trackermatte discog. So much good stuff in there! Also really enjoying the DJ Flip Tec, Dunal, and new Fire-Toolz albums.

I only just checked out the yuo're life you'r tsois ep recently and have since been discovering all the other amazing music I missed too

closest to rdj imo, but absolutely its own unique thing

Been getting into the Rolando Simmons/Trackermatte discog. So much good stuff in there! Also really enjoying the DJ Flip Tec, Dunal, and new Fire-Toolz albums.

I only just checked out the yuo're life you'r tsois ep recently and have since been discovering all the other amazing music I missed too

closest to rdj imo, but absolutely its own unique thing

Yeah it really is some top level chunes.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I'm halfway through Cryptograms ​(Deerhunter)

​Just can never decide with this album whether it's a work of mad genius or a total fucking disaster. Obviously the band have talent and have the chops as they prove in the future. I can hear glimmers of brilliance within the murk, but it just sounds an incoherent mess. Even their best albums are pretty wonky imho.

I'm pretty sure if I was chilled out and mildly tripping in the sunshine somewhere in a glorious green countryside it would sound much, much better than sitting in a wooden shed down the bottom of an English garden under a gloomy grey sky, trying hard to work this thing out (for the umpteenth time).

i've been on a deerhunter kick as of late. this album doesn't do much for me (spring hall convert and hazel st are the only tracks i like) but i don't think the production/recording quality serves it very well. i heard they were not happy with it and i can see why. it's one of the few albums i'd love to hear completely rerecorded since the live versions of these songs are superior.

listened to halcyon digest, which was a big summer/fall album for me back in 2010/2011. i still like it a lot, it flows extremely well. earthquake sounds uncannily like porcupine tree - the sky moves sideways phase 1 and the rising synth sound in alan parsons project - nucleus. i find i can't remember a lot of tracks on this one, it's all kind of a summery smudge. 

the revelation for me is monomania. i hated this album when it came out. i gave it maybe three listens when it came out and dismissed it as a failure. listening to it now, i think it might be their strongest work. extremely focused, love the exile on main st. swamp guitar, the ramones melodies. it's a very good album. weird how time and the lifting of expectation can change my opinion about something.

haven't been in this department of watmm for a while and yes Mr Reeves I also like monomania, you do need to put a bit of effort in but there's some great tunes on there

been listening to ​Emeralds - Does It Look Like I'm Here? ​which I didn't really take much notice of when it was initially released, I find this a great album to put on when you're in one of those annoying undecided moods of what to play.

the correct mood is essential for ​Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition ​but this album absolutely slays from the moment it starts, definitely a Warp classic

great stuff that I didn't really like would be Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance ​just about managed to last the first three tracks on this before killing it dead. Sorry Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher (2003)

Only just recently been getting into this guys work, but this album has been on repeat non-stop since I first listened to it. I just absolutely cannot get enough.

This is the track I'm currently obsessed with.

• 5 weeks later...

stuck down the shack, pissing down with rain outside, bit bored tbh so I'll kill some time here...

last few albums I wacked on (apart from Aphex of course) were according to Spotify (I'll miss out the dodgy ones  :whistling: )

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell - Weird as this is a first play and I was a Floyd fanatic when this came out (back in the day when you had to buy an album to hear it) I guess I spent my pocket money on something else. Really enjoyed listening to it. Seemed a lot better than Momentary Lapse of Reason which is the same kind of line-up/era.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World - A friend of mine who's obsessed with Maiden told me this was a return to form and I should check it out as I'm pretty big fan of albums like Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time. Listened to first 3 tracks, and felt vaguely ridiculous while doing so, then did myself a favour and pulled the plug. Horseshit.

....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead - Source Tags and Codes - Another first play, seemed fucking awesome, I think I had the first album when it came out and wasn't that much into it. Looking forward to re-spinning this asap.

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights (10th Anniversary Edition) - Classic

Jesus Lizard - Goat - First play, thumbs up!

Richard H Kirk - Virtual State - Never heard any Cabaret Voltaire or any of Richards music before (even though I'm aware of them) after watching the documentary Synth Britannia I decided to rectify this and plumped for this album as it's on Warp (for obvious reasons). Wasn't expecting something as good as this! An excellent album, very surprised indeed. Bit of an under-the-radar Warp classic.

Still pissing down, Over and Out  

^^ Source Tags is fucking legit, stoked for the vinyl repress even though the colored ones already sold out.

Yep I think because it's been in the music press the last few weeks sort of influenced me to have a listen, first few tracks I wasn't in to it but it seemed to grow on me as it went on and the tracks got better and better.

stuck down the shack, pissing down with rain outside, bit bored tbh so I'll kill some time here...

last few albums I wacked on (apart from Aphex of course) were according to Spotify (I'll miss out the dodgy ones :whistling: )

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell - Weird as this is a first play and I was a Floyd fanatic when this came out (back in the day when you had to buy an album to hear it) I guess I spent my pocket money on something else. Really enjoyed listening to it. Seemed a lot better than Momentary Lapse of Reason which is the same kind of line-up/era.

Iron Maiden - Brave New World - A friend of mine who's obsessed with Maiden told me this was a return to form and I should check it out as I'm pretty big fan of albums like Seventh Son and Somewhere In Time. Listened to first 3 tracks, and felt vaguely ridiculous while doing so, then did myself a favour and pulled the plug. Horseshit.

....And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of The Dead - Source Tags and Codes - Another first play, seemed fucking awesome, I think I had the first album when it came out and wasn't that much into it. Looking forward to re-spinning this asap.

Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights (10th Anniversary Edition) - Classic

Jesus Lizard - Goat - First play, thumbs up!

Richard H Kirk - Virtual State - Never heard any Cabaret Voltaire or any of Richards music before (even though I'm aware of them) after watching the documentary Synth Britannia I decided to rectify this and plumped for this album as it's on Warp (for obvious reasons). Wasn't expecting something as good as this! An excellent album, very surprised indeed. Bit of an under-the-radar Warp classic.

Still pissing down, Over and Out

Love Virtual State. Check out his Sandoz alias next, and then the album Nitrogen - Intoxica.

Listened to a leak of that new QOTSA album. S'alright. As a band, they haven't floored me for a very long time, but there are still some good tunes on here and Like Clockwork.

Preoccupations (fka vietcong) cassette EP. Liked it. Been a fan of these guys for a couple years but never got around to hearing this til all the recent reissue commotion. Not as refined, dark or atmospheric as their later albums, but still really enjoyable. Definitely gonna grab the vinyl next time I'm in town.

Also, not exactly an album, but I've been rinsing GY!BE live bootlegs of material that's supposedly showing up on the new record.

• 3 weeks later...

We Were Dead has a handful of juicy treats on it. Dashboard, Fire it Up, Florida, Parting of the Sensory, Little Motel, Spitting Venom and People As Places are all super tunes. Also this album was played a lot when I was living and travelling in Australia so I might rate it higher than average because it brings back good memories. It sounds like sunshine :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by beerwolf

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream.

I hated Call the Police/American Dream as singles, so I avoided Tonite and basically all press about the album after that to try to temper my expectations.

Well, it's fantastic, so maybe unplugging for a bit worked. I missed having this band in my life.