IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Gotta hand it to you cwmbrancity you really know your onions with leftfield music 

After Holger Czukay checked out recently it spurred a mini excavation around me olde Krautrock lp's & digi odds n ends, the list if metaphorically endless. Roedelius had such a sweet touch, have no fkn idea what gear he was using during that period but his compositions have so much analog warmth, even the more sparse compositions. There are real purple patches that seem to transcend "era", hence the heads up on "Selbstportrait I & II".

Conny Plank is an entire universe of fun, deffo worth sifting thru his engineering catalog for gems cos the quality control was so high. I can lob you Cope's Krautrocksampler as a pdf if you can handle the esoteric writing style, its a goldmine of obscurities like the infamous Nurse With Wound list but obviously much more depth, biographies & analysis.

I have a habit of taking an old copy of The Wire, at random from a large pile in my flat, to the toilet with me. Invariably I'll read a 10 year old review of something I've never heard of then look it up

#metoo

GY!BE - Luciferian Towers

In all honesty, it's probably my least favourite Godspeed record so far. Distinct lack of heart wrenching crescendos on this one. Still pretty deece though. Anthem For No State is a highlight fer sher.

yeah this one and the last one didn't really live up to my expectations after allelujah! don't bend! ascend!

i feel like the recordings are getting muddier and muddier too - maybe its better live

been listening to Vince staples - Big Fish a lot lately, also that John Maus album 

your pets are gonna die

• 2 weeks later...

Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair. 

I like the theme of overcoming lifelong trauma or at least that's what I get out of it. Most people are assholes who will judge you for being weird when you're going through major mental problems in life, even if they're considered good people. Compassion is rare and things are hard to understand. But this album gets it. And it's from the 80's and they were like 24 when they made this. They knew their shit.

I'm quitting tobacco and taking a break from weed, so actual emotion is coming back. 

Edited by Candiru

^oh snap. Got up at 5am this morning with Shout in my head and hunted for that LP. Played the whole album twice in a row with my morning coffee before leaving for work. Flawless album.

oKgm4Mp.gif

Deutsche Elektronische Musik 3: Experimental German Rock And Electronic Music 1971-81: really disappointed in this. the first two compilations were great and had some great krautrock. this just felt- thrown together and not in a good way. just meh imo

Habibi Funk: An Eclectic Selection of Music From the Arab World: now we're talking: even though this has a lot more of the early rock-n-roll sound (think elvis type songs but in arabic) it's a pretty unique compilation of music especially considering how many selections from this part of the world have been put out already by folks like guerssen, pharaway and sublime frequencies

Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes from the Horn of Africa: best compilation of the year for me. nuff said

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides. 

Nas - The Lost Tapes

Uplifting hiphop gems. 

Nasum - Inhale/Exhale

Midnight - Sweet Death and Ecstasy

Spliff after work.

• 3 weeks later...

Old Bucktooth (the bucktoothed boatman from Lao) who took me across the Mekong tributaries from the peaceful bamboo hut to the temple of Lemonade was steering the boat. Man I was just peering over the side, trying to look into the wake of the white water and the churn of the muddy water beyond and trying forget about him hunting me and hunting my blood later that night. But once he'd pitched his boat on the wharf and set his oars to sleep, that Vampire Bucktoothed Cave Dwelling Hillbilly was coming for me.

So the edges of his sharp nocturnal buckteeth started to chatter upon the latch of my bamboo shack. He was going to kill me, rip the fucking flesh from my fucking throat and giggle his grin right into the wide-awake periscopes of my dying eyes. 

Best album I've played lately that was known was ​Silent Servant - ​Negative Fascination

Edited by beerwolf

Mos Def - Black On Both Sides. 

Nasum - Inhale/Exhale

k-k-killer combo!

AcIds - Fudain Liesmas

New shit from Douglas/Dalglish dude. You know the score, flawless

And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - S/T

Stone cold classic that I've not listened to in years. I bought Watership Down on bluray recently and remembered this album and the track Prince With a Thousand Enemies.

Babyfather - Cypher

New(ish) mixtape from the Bluntster. Good shit as usual.

Boards of Canada - Old Tunes

quite good

Bob Ostertag - Bob Ostertag plays the serge 1978 - 1983

Epically latered crusty wabbiness. All glooty, like a bloody piano dentist.

Cardi B - Gangsta Bitch Vol 1 & 2

and how

Cardiacs - A Little man and a house and the whole world

Because that's the way we all go 

Crom-Tech - s/t (1997)

Tite af, one of my fave Barr releases

D. Tiffany - Blue Dream

dreamy

BEBETUNE$ - Inhale c-4 $$$$$

Ferraro dankness with BEETS

Lada Laika - Summit Avenue Tracks

reminds me of buying something at random by bochum welt or frog pocket from the electronica section in ur local indie record store circa 2004. Nostalgia done right (screwface at brainwaltzera)

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

:^)

Low - Secret Name

<3

Qebrus - the newest one

Shamefully it took the news of his death to remind me to buy this. I've dug qebrus for a long time, his BC was always being linked to me by internet friends long before he got a popularity boost by rdj. In a "hey this weird shit is probably up your street" kinda way.

This is just as good as everything that had come before it. His sound is what Snares should be now if he hadn't got sucked down a boring amen&modular rabbithole.

rip

Rian Treanor - Contraposition ep

I love the sound of Treanor in the morning

Rich Brian - Amen

Context possibly needed here. This dude was born in Indonesia, learned english watching vlogs on youtube and aspired to be a Filthy Frank inspired youtube comedian.

He made a joke hiphop video/track called Rich Chigga - Dat $tick which turned out to actually be really fucking good and a lot of people took interest.

This is his debut album and fuck me it's really good, dude can rap. Also he's only 18.

• 2 weeks later...

Spotify Says

Four Tet - Rounds

Autechre - Quaristice

Death Grips - Bottomless Pit

Trouble - Psalm 9

Eels - Daisies of the Galaxy 

Dettinger - Oasis

Gescom - Gescom EP

Bowie - No Plan EP

Shackleton - Music For The Quiet Hour/Drawbar Organ

Warp 10+3 Remixes

Shinichi Atobe - From The Heart, Its A Start, A Work of Art

The Revenant OST - R Sakamoto & Alva Noto

Man I love Spotify

Edited by beerwolf

• 4 weeks later...

ferry gud

https://themessthetics.bandcamp.com

Brendan Canty and Joe Lally were the rhythm section of the band Fugazi from its inception in 1987 to its period of hiatus in 2002. This is the first band they’ve had together since then. Anthony Pirog is a jazz and experimental guitarist based in Washington, D.C. One half of the duo Janel & Anthony, he has emerged as a primary figure in the city’s out-music community.

Edited by iococoi

Wake - Am Diamond

I liked this quite a bit. Flows really nicely. No cheese and some really intricate sonic surprises.

Wake says:

I grew up in Miami and spent a good number of teenage nights sneaking into Schematic shows. During setup I’d try my best to look innocuous while carrying merch boxes for friends involved and if that didn’t work, I’d find the back door of the club and casually walk in. Those shows were formative, as was the oddball IDM the city was responsible for. It was mysterious and exciting-- a world I didn’t understand, but badly wanted to. I’d watch the laptop screens from behind the performers, trying to figure out how it all was done. 

It’s been a very long time since I snuck into a Schematic show. I’ve spent the whole time obsessively trying to learn what was happening onscreen. 

Am Diamond is a record of music I’ve wanted to make for a long time. It’s a memory of the teenage nights that made me fall in love with IDM and of a childhood falling asleep to the rumble of subwoofers-thumping-808s in the trunk of some Miami Bass Lowrider. Though it isn’t really beach town elektro, I think it is. 

Much of this music was made during times of tragedy, I lost family members, my girlfriend and I lost our dog, and in Oakland-- my post-Miami home-- the Ghost Ship fire took many good friends. Amongst those friends I dedicate this to Jason McCarty, who died in the fire at Ghost Ship, and with whom I first bonded while talking about Otto von Schirach.

---

Joe Lentini - General Clock Voice

It's alright. Would like to hear this in a club. A bit too repetitive for my taste though

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lada Laika - Summit Avenue Tracks

reminds me of buying something at random by bochum welt or frog pocket from the electronica section in ur local indie record store circa 2004. Nostalgia done right (screwface at brainwaltzera)

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III

:^)

Need to pick up that Lada album

And that's my boy with that Tunechi :)

I'm listening to Castor's first album today and it's hella IDM for a 90's math-y rock record with no electronics to be found anywhere.

Edited by auxien

• 1 month later...

MIlan W. - "Envelope" - from Boomkat: "Tenderly sensitive ambient introspection"; a great listen that I have been playing the hell out of.

Sophia Loizou - "Irregular Territories" - deconstructed jungle; a highly recommended listen. 

Piper Spray - "Drugstore Phones" - incredible release from Russian label Gost Zvuk that is impossible to pin down in the best possible way

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted / Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

So I tried again after a few years and still can’t comprehend why this shit band is so well liked.