IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

Dick Raaijmakers - The Complete Tape Music of Dick Raaijmakers

early electronics by dutch tape-pioneer and sound scientist. some really good blips and various blops dancing all around the noise spectrum; at times it sounds kind of muddy (canon 1-5 are pretty much static plonks) but there are also a couple of interesting jingle-type songs along the way with a much loser and playful structure. if you dug 'manhattan project inc.' you might dig this as well

Chora(s)san Time-Court Mirage - Live at the Grimm Museum Vol 1

Live recording of an unbelievable vocal/raga driven drone collaboration between cc hennix, werner durand and others. The influence of pandith pran nath and la monte young shine through in this one. Highest recommendation! An excerpt of the recording is up on soundcloud.

Also picked up the new Eleh reissue but its still growing on me.

Guest jasondonervan

Haruomi Hosono (founder of Yellow Magic Orchestra) - The Tale of Genji (1987)

I don't remember how I stumbled across it, but I've had this album partially & in low quality for years, probably from a distant soulseek smash 'n' grab. Today, a copy of the 2009 CD re-issue found it's way to my door (via a seller from the Netherlands, of all places) and for a non-bankrupting price too, which is always a bonus.

I love this album so much. It's roots are based in traditional Japanese folk instrumentation, but it's the sparse integration of modern synthesis (well, modern for 1987) that edges in a truly warm nostalgic feel. Hearing all this in such improved quality is brilliant.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADToCR0sfw&[/media]

Guest CraniumXII

wisp - the shimmering hour 10/10 http://www.discogs.c...r/master/126373

Pretty good album... It's what first got me into the guy... Do we know if he's working on anything new? It's as if when someone is signed to Reflex, they never release anything ever again, or is it just me... It's like the black-hole of good music.

Anyway, it's been awhile, so I'm wondering if anyone's heard anything...

Elsiane - Mechanics of Emotion: Love this chick... almost always makes me tear up... 9/10

Bon Iver - Bon Iver: Saw him live, and felt like he was a one trick card... The album was poorly produced, but has it's merits... 6/10

Photodemetia - Fig.3: Wasn't sure what I though about this... It grew on me and quite enjoy the majority of it, but felt like it coulda done more... 7/10

Lone - Galaxy Garden: Quite like the general vibe of this album. Pretty solid... IMO, the best I've heard from him... 8.5/10

Edited by CraniumXII

Guest CraniumXII

It's as if when someone is signed to Rephlex, they never release anything ever again, or is it just me... It's like the black-hole of good music.

http://www.rephlex.c...iss You/CAT 207

Yeah, I already have have that one... But it was released a couple of years ago, and I believe I read it was mostly a compilation of unreleased material. He was cranking out music regularly, and it seems as if he just disappeared. Haven't read anything new on em' in a minute. 2 years isn't all that much time, so maybe I'm just being impatient :/

Edited by CraniumXII

Haruomi Hosono (founder of Yellow Magic Orchestra) - The Tale of Genji (1987)

I don't remember how I stumbled across it, but I've had this album partially & in low quality for years, probably from a distant soulseek smash 'n' grab. Today, a copy of the 2009 CD re-issue found it's way to my door (via a seller from the Netherlands, of all places) and for a non-bankrupting price too, which is always a bonus.

I love this album so much. It's roots are based in traditional Japanese folk instrumentation, but it's the sparse integration of modern synthesis (well, modern for 1987) that edges in a truly warm nostalgic feel. Hearing all this in such improved quality is brilliant.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADToCR0sfw&[/media]

i have 'hat' 'tokyo - frankfurt - new york'. this sounds really beautiful. he's made a huge amount of musics.

I'm late to this, but I have been in love with the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack lately. Puppetmaster, the third track, is full of such beautiful strangeness, possibility, uncertainty; it makes me think of a giant plant, waving slowly under deep water. I've felt changed by it. Really.

Machinedrum - Room(s) Extended

yeah so I was epically late to the party on this one. It's good. Three great tracks, the best being U Don't Survive, then Door(s) for me. All the others kinda bore/annoy me. 6/10

I'm late to this, but I have been in love with the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack lately. Puppetmaster, the third track, is full of such beautiful strangeness, possibility, uncertainty; it makes me think of a giant plant, waving slowly under deep water. I've felt changed by it. Really.

[media=]

[/media]

I used to watch this all the time with my brother. Don't really like anime but Ghost in the Shell is something completely different.

Mystical Sun - 26000. Deeply layered and unique Electronic/Psychedelic/Downtempo. FSOL fans should like this. Stunning, 10/10.

Hot Chip - In Our Heads. Their best album. 9/10.

Various Badorb Artists - Bless You: 6/10

For those who don't know; Badorb was The Orb's old record label that was a failure (if I remember correctly). There are some fantastic songs on here that I've been listening to as long as I've liked electronic music. There are also some shit songs. Here are two goodies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ORiwSdFB48

[2012] Para One - Passion - 6/10 - Listened to it twice. I don't think I'll get into it more. I used to listen to Epiphanie quite a lot back in the day, I think that's the only output I heard from him though. Sigmund is a great track and that's where the album starts to go more my way. Enjoyable electronic stuff. Skipping through it again maybe it deserves more than a 6, should listen to it a few more times.

[2012] Polysick - Digital Native - 7/10 - Listened to it three (and a half) times. I'm still not sure if I just like this album or I'm starting to fall in love with it. I think it'll just stay with a like, great electronic stuff though. Taito reminds me of the instrumental track of Our Luv by Africa Hitech but without being loud. Laid back jammy electronic pretty much defines this entire album.

[2012] Otto von Schirach - Supermeng - 7/10 - Listened to it min four times. It's good old Otto! But even more defined, it's loud but not in a harsh and annoying way. Though the album lacks certain style-direction, I enjoyed it quite a bit because it still breathes Otto. The album literally goes from strange RnB to prog/surf rock to playful dubstep to Miami Bass (ba-ba-ba-ba-bass). Even the track Portal Prayer, reminds me of a something Antipop Consortium or Prefuse 73 did, hmm I don't remember but it's quite intense. Reptile Brain Wash is very reminiscent to what ATR was doing back when they were good (lol), I think he has been touring with them.. So yeah pretty much everything on here, I think a great record if you're into mister Von Schirach.

[2012] CN - Ra - 8-9/10 - Listened to it at least eight times. - Check this out, NOW!

SAY ELECTRONIC ONE MORE GOD DAMN TIME

Edited by vincentvc

polysick is a grower, been spinning it for a few days now and it gets better and better.

june so far:

DMX Krew - East Side Boogie - titular track(s) is pretty bad, but the rest is great. 6/10

Janko Nilovic - Supra Pop Impressions - boring wankrock. 5/10

Jacky Giordano - Pop in... Devil's Train - jazzfunk greatness 8/10

Jacky Giordano & others - Philopsis - more jazzfunk and some sweet acidish stuff too 8/10

Peaking Lights - Lucifer - huge let down. where's the brilliance? this is ok, but ok is not enough 6/10

Bobby Womack - The Bravest Man in the Universe - boring as anything. some decent trip-hop here and there, though 5/10

Kitty Pryde - Haha, I'm Sorry - i think i'm in love with kitty/10

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - unremarkable psychprog 3/10

Couldn't sleep last night so I decided about midnight to put the headphones on and listen in the darkness to Autechre - LP5. I know its a staple of the watmmer but I haven't heard it for about a year.

It's still my favorite Ae album. 10/10

CN - Expedition Beyond

Coppice Halifax - High Hawaiian Fog

Gosub - Low Volume Lovers

Ambient News - Zweite Sendung

Tropic of Cancer - Permissions of Love

Legowelt - Tower of the Gypsies

The Focus Group - Sketches and Spells

Metamono - Tape

Edited by patternoverlap

Guest Xenblake

The Shins - Port of Morrow

The Lower Dens - Nootropics

Been ages since I've heard "indie" music this good

Guest DaltonKuepker

The Flashbulb - Opus at the End of Everything 9.5/10

Benn Jordan is a genius.

Goldie - Saturnz Return 9/10

"Mother" blew my mind both with the length and richness. I really dug "Digital" as well, that got me pumped.

Squarepusher - Ufabulum 7.5/10

Really enjoyable, but not groundbreaking by any means.

Edited by DaltonKuepker

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

oh god i listen to leonard cohen now i think that means i'm turning old

listening to the young leonard cohen gives you life. only the old leonard cohen takes it from you

césar franck, stephen hough ‎- piano music 9/10 http://www.discogs.com/César-Franck-Stephen-Hough-PIano-Music/release/2327220

colleen - les ondes silencieuses 9/10 http://www.discogs.com/Colleen-Les-Ondes-Silencieuses/master/95117

datassette ‎– people without mouths ep 8/10 http://www.discogs.com/Datassette-People-Without-Mouths-EP/master/441719

autechre - quaristice 8/10 http://www.discogs.com/Autechre-Quaristice/master/2472

fluxion - traces 4/10 http://www.discogs.com/Fluxion-Traces/master/418440

nirvana - unplugged 7/10 http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-Unplugged-Live/release/2316181