IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

808 State's Ex El. It's a go to of mine and have been playing it on my way to and from work for the last few days. Such an awesome journey as is every 808 State release. Really love the chilly exotic world vibes and light plastic quirkiness of it. And the features of Bjork and Bernard Sumner are sublime. A+

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted / Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

So I tried again after a few years and still can’t comprehend why this shit band is so well liked.

Slanted and Enchanted is a stone cold classic. Shrooms might help. It's a very very psyche informed album. If you listen when ur tripping you're aware of just how much sideways slippage there is, in both the music and the vox

Steal This Album! by SOAD

Hahah so fucking great, so miss this band. Pretty sure the drummer told a story when Chris Cornell committed suicide that he felt a deep regret SOAD had wasted so many years in the wilderness doing fuck all (though I know there were a few solo albums released). Wasted talent. The last few albums were iffy, no doubt. These four individuals need to get back in the studio.

Maybe they lost it? Gay ego nonsense? Shame. Nobody like them.

Edited by beerwolf

I picked this album up on a whim today after reading the description sticker and having the album art catch my eye... Pleasantly surprised, it's pretty damn good darker synth-pop/coldwave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm listening to his new ambient record. it's alright, nothing spectacular.

also been listening to the first manic street preachers record. i don't get why this band was so hyped in the 90s. other than motorcycle emptiness, which is a great song, they just sound like a very generic rock band from the late eighties with leftist lyrics. maybe it gets better. 

Dorian Concept - the nature of imitation

Pretty good album you guys, sad to see no buzz on here

nirvana - nevermind

haven't heard this one for a very long while, and oh man, it is truly embarrassing. that overly affected cobain singing comes off very fake. i always thought nirvana was supposed to be punk and not give a shit but this is very far from it. the lyrics are plain juvenile, chock full of teenage sarcasm and cynicism, the cover art too. very dull and repetitive song structure with this quiet-loud-quiet/verse-chorus-verse butt rock progression and fast snare rolls before the loud parts. retrospectively i'm kinda glad i didn't really like it back in school days when everyone was supposed to.

Edited by eugene

That also happened with Joined Ends and I really like that album, not huge love here though.

Sad

I never noticed this thread until just now lol

Jim O'Rourke's Eureka & Insignificance.

Excellent combo to walk to work to in the morning.

Fuck yeah.  Gave all my O'Rourke CDs another listen to 2 just last month.  Everything about his delivery is so understated, while the music itself is deceptively complex.  I also like the sweet sound/disturbing lyric combo he tends to gravitate towards.  All those things together create something pretty unique.  Also a big fan of his very dry but well balanced production.  Everything just sounds like it actually sounds.  I think that worked really well especially for the stuff he did with Sonic Youth (even though everyone hates NYC Ghosts and Flowers for some odd reason).

Just got into Fu Manchu.  Man, their second album Daredevil is killer.  Fuzzed out to hell sabbath riffs, drums constantly on the verge of falling apart, and practically every song is about how awesome and fast his car is.  Gave it one listen before bed, and another with my coffee.  No disappointment whatsoever.  I could listen to those fuzz tones forever.  Makes me want to have a project soley devoted to riffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-hQmO7Syic

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

That also happened with Joined Ends and I really like that album, not huge love here though.

Sad

Thanks for the heads up, love me some Dorian.

• 3 weeks later...

He was actually a pretty accomplished lyricist, in so far as he had his own very distinctive poetic style, which was at the same time very direct and relatable to a lot of people.  Nevermind was produced in a way that I don't think was best suited for Nirvana's sound on an artistic level, though obviously from a commercial standpoint it was the right choice.  In Utero does a much better job of capturing their whole vibe.   Cobain's innate sense of songcraft was always remarkable - he was an expert pop tunesmith regardless of whether he wanted to be.  But it's really his vocal delivery that makes him so iconic.  No one else has a voice like that.  You can hear a lot of obvious influences in his songwriting, but as a vocalist he was one of a kind.

in utero is a much, much better album indeed. it still has some dull, grungy butt rockers like "rape me" and "hear shaped box", but then there a lot of songs where they get both very inventive and unhinged at the same time turning the formula on its head. scentless apprentice's verse is that uncharacteristically heavy and boomy riff that lifts off by the end but turns into chorus that's basically cobain tearing his throat screeching. it's awesome, it's almost a complete opposite of those edgy, sarcastic songs for teens to learn the chords of and sing along to for which they got popular.