IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

• 4 weeks later...

I've had Brian Jonestown Massacre - Methodrone (1995) on repeat for the last few days. Nice rough brit-popeqsue shoegaze. There's no full album YT video of it so here's my favourite track off of it.

^^^ The Verve - Urban Hymns is such a classic album (most of the best tunes were not released as singles in my most humble of opinions). That and Suede's Dog Man Star are the best of that Britpop era, again of my most humblest of opinions. Humble opinion over and out.

Two of the many albums I have been listening to most recently that I would like to mention is...

One! Sakura by Susuma Yokata. Wow I'm in love with this album. I would highly recommend bending your ears around this beautiful, delightful electronic album. It's not all killer no filler, but the great tracks are worthy of your (seeing as you are here on Watmm HQ) truly honourable eardrums. You will like it. Album cover is also tip-top. A album I discover on Spotify and will buy the physical.

Two! Superunknown by Soundgarden. Ahh yes my dear friend, a multi million selling masterpiece. Who cares! I hear thee Watmm HQ shout. I do. Apart from a few tracks I never got on with this (My Wave and title track), I so loved, and still do, the Seattle ICBM that was Badmotorfinger. That was a beast album, and still retains a top 20 spot of all time favourite albums. However seems as though the true, and pure brilliance of this album has finally been revealed to me. The key was reading a superb review of this album on rateyourmusic, and the author describing the music as the sound of 'a dark summer'. Then the penny dropped. And my imagination shifted in how I feel this music when I listen to it. A dark summer, and right now a dark spring. Life doesn't get much better than a fresh new Soundgarden album to enjoy, even if it is over 20 years old ?

Edited by beer badger
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Steve Spacek - Houses 7/10 : Pretty straightforward techno/house record with his legendary vocals. Last record I checked of his was his team up w/ Mark Pritchard (Africa Hitech), 93 Million Miles. Though that record was a lot more ambitious and took me a few spins before it really grew on me, this record is instantaneously enjoyable. I've been sleepin' on him, I'll check is 2018 offering Natural Sci-Fi next. 

Aaron Diehl - Vagabond 6/10 : Mixture of originals and standards played my this very elegant trio is well worth checking out. What really stands out here is the trio's interpretation of Philip Glass' "Piano Etude No.16". Just stellar.

On 3/4/2020 at 12:19 PM, no part of it said:

R-11840993-1523318405-3272.jpeg.jpgHawthonn ‎– Red Goddess (Of This Men Shall Know Nothing)

Very unique occult-driven husband/wife duo: folk music with plenty of effects, and maybe some synths, female vocals, very experimental and stands out considerably.  apparently this band was used as a soundtrack in the Netflix series "The New Pope".  

There are some side projects that are more neofolk, but with exceptional melodies, not the same DIJ ripoff stuff.  Recently bought a lathe cut of theirs with no regrets, and I am not a big neofolk fan at all. 

Phil & Layla Legard. Check Larkfall if u haven’t already. They do more droney ambient orientated bits too like

Edit wrong thread, careful now

Edited by cwmbrancity

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Metasplice - Mirvariates (2018, Trilogy Tapes). Somehow slept on this when it came out, heard it about a year ago and was intrigued but baffled and now I've got my head around it, it's grown in my estimations.

Pointillist bursts of white noise shifting sandlike under wafts of feedback and whines of static. Malevolent and melancholic; its the sound of the singularity. Massively recommended for fans of sci-fi horror electroacoustic techno a la 'Confield' & 'Calabi-Yau Space.'

This Chromatics album has some great songs, slows down a lot, then gets better at the end, but it definitely creates a vibe that sticks around, leaves an impression.

Also I listened to In The Court of The Crimson King again after a while and it is majestic af

Holy wow. Last time I heard this would of been borrowed from a public library. Now of course delivered directly to my ears at a touch of a button. I'd forgotten all about it. It has some great tunes on, but obviously not punching as hard and as high as the lofty heights of V/U. Open House and Trouble With Classicists being my top picks.

Here is Cale and Reed (in particular good form) in brief conversation about Andy Warhol. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Top choice. Did you check out the rarities 12" that came out a couple weeks ago? Had some cool stuff I've never heard before, inc. a sick alt version of Group Transport Hall.

Yes, excellent little comp and I also hadn't heard any of the tracks except for the album version of Group Transport Hall. I revisited the first album last week and the album version sounds incredibly rushed in comparison, even in the context of the album. I'm liking the alt version a lot more. 

Makes me miss the early, more raw and rock-based Viet Cong sound. Also, in case you haven't, check out Cindy Lee's What's Tonight to Eternity from earlier this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, excellent little comp and I also hadn't heard any of the tracks except for the album version of Group Transport Hall. I revisited the first album last week and the album version sounds incredibly rushed in comparison, even in the context of the album. I'm liking the alt version a lot more. 

Makes me miss the early, more raw and rock-based Viet Cong sound. Also, in case you haven't, check out Cindy Lee's What's Tonight to Eternity from earlier this year. 

Haven't got around to the latest Cindy Lee record yet, but it's on the list! The last one was really cool.

But yeah, I think my favourite project to come out of that whole camp was the first Viet Cong record. What a fucking triumph that was.

There were recent talks of Preoccs finishing up another album, I'm guessing it'll drop early 2021. The last one was quite disappointing (imo) so I'm hoping they redeem themselves with this one. A return to the raw sound, like you say, would be very welcome!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

Haven't got around to the latest Cindy Lee record yet, but it's on the list! The last one was really cool.

But yeah, I think my favourite project to come out of that whole camp was the first Viet Cong record. What a fucking triumph that was.

There were recent talks of Preoccs finishing up another album, I'm guessing it'll drop early 2021. The last one was quite disappointing (imo) so I'm hoping they redeem themselves with this one. A return to the raw sound, like you say, would be very welcome!

Agreed on that being my favorite work from the camp, including the debut Cassette. I like some material on both the 2nd and 3rd albums, maybe equally and for different reasons, but they do pale in comparison to the early stuff. I'm hopeful for new material (haha) soon and that it's stronger! 

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Agreed on that being my favorite work from the camp, including the debut Cassette. I like some material on both the 2nd and 3rd albums, maybe equally and for different reasons, but they do pale in comparison to the early stuff. I'm hopeful for new material (haha) soon and that it's stronger! 

Yeah the Cassette EP is mega underrated. In hindsight it was a perfect transition from Women to VC, it has strong elements from both projects.

I really enjoyed the Preoccupations self-titled record and it still holds up to this day imo. I quite liked New Material at first, but I got bored of it very quickly. I almost never return to that one now, other than a few individual tracks. It'll be interesting to see what direction they take next.

• Like 1