IGNORED

A few albums recently listened.

murve33

ODDSAC is a visual album by Animal Collective, featuring psychedelic visuals directed and edited by Danny Perez.

First announced in August 2006, the film took over four years to complete. The band members and director Danny Perez dubbed the 53 minute combination of Perez's film and Animal Collective's music a “visual album” or “visual record” in which the visual “scenarios” were created to reflect the music and the music was created to reflect the imagery.[1] The band members make appearances as major characters in the film. According to the band, the film's name is both a pleasant combination of letters and the name for a bag of gummy candies. [2] The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2010,[3] It was officially released on DVD on August 10, 2010.

i was going through my youtubes and happened across this little gem, a visual album full of colour, vitality, and a lot of really weird shit.

it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me afraid to eat roasted marshmallows. 8/10

Edited by MadameChaos

• 2 weeks later...

This month:

Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis

Deftones - Around the Fur (one track removed)

Hair Stylistics - Expanded Pussies

Hair Stylistics - Uselessness of 40 Years

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (couple of tracks removed)

Storm of Light - And we Wept the Black Ocean Within

Strapping Young Lad - Alien (about five tracks removed)

Squarepusher, six assorted tracks

Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises

Venetian Snares, a load of b-sides and assorted stuff

Venetian Snares - Nymphomatriarch

Devo - Q: Are We Not Men?

with Devo I often get this vibe, like "man these dudes must think they're sooooo smart". But they manage to pull it off (on the first few albums, anyway), through a combination of extreme self-confidence & genuinely clever musical arrangements. Particularly on the debut, there's this constant feeling of pure aggression lingering just below the facade of aloof geekery, which devolved into genuine nerd fetishism within a few years. It's like a musical punch in the face that feels much less serious than it actually is

And for the *relative* lack of synths, atmospheric effects, or wildly unconventional song structures (beyond some non-4/4 timesigs here & there), there's a ton of visuality here, from the jerking conveyor belt of "Satisfaction" to the self destructing robot guitar chug of "Jocko Homo" to the near death trapeze act that is "Shrivel Up"

Silent Hill 2 OST (videogame): And still... So fucking beautiful, so fucking nostalgic. It's just inevitable for me to start thinking in darkness and beauty at the same time while listening to this masterpiece. 9.9/10

Autechre - EP7 & Chiastic Slide - First listen to both. Very good.

Jega - Geometry - Fucking underrated as shit. Brilliant stuff. Probably one of my favorite artists.

Luke Vibert - We hear You - Quality as always.

Various Artists - EDM B2 - Listened about 15 times in the last two days. It gets better every time.

Ultrademon - Seapunk - Really enjoyable. I wish it was longer.

EOD - Vol 2 - I think putting Vol 1 and Vol 2 together might have made a better album together because they have about half an album each of tracks I really like. That being said these are not my favorites of EOD's work, but still very quality and the tracks I like are very good.

Lord of the Isles - SHEVC007 - Really nice. Sort of a different flavor, but I enjoy every track.

Some others as well -

AP Musik - MU3

Ceephax - Cro Magnox

Uziq - Chewed Corners

John Hopkins - Immunity

Stephen Mathieu The Falling Rocket

I'm always wishing I could find good ambient that doesn't feel like a waste of time. I started out making ambient and it's probably my favorite genre when it really clicks, and this release is working for me very well. Writing is flowing. Dekorder is the place to be.

I think Tauhid likes this one.

R-18130-1249299204.jpeg

They're nominally remixes of Wolfgang Voigt's Studio 1 series (already bare-bones minimal to begin with) that sound like Maurizio meets Andy Stott at DJ Screw's uptown. Some wacked out crunk technos shiet, 1997 ffs.

R-198788-1302464310.jpeg

Soundmurderer + SK-1* - Rewind Records

Motherfucking badazz jungle here, the breakage is off the charts. Made by these dudes.

grimes - visions

i don't wanna channel those reviewers who were all like "wow a GIRL making computer music", like it's something that never happens (because that's not true, we got bjork yo). Buttttt maybe there is something to be said about a female producer finally achieving widespread attention for this particular breed of introverted bedroom synthphonics. Has that happened before? I feel iffy counting people like Imogen Heap or Fever Ray because they're like, celebrities, and grimes is just another dude putting out tracks who happens to make liberal use of her own voice

Donato Dozzy - Playing Bee Mask

Clear Soul Forces - Gold PP7s

v.a. - Bosporus Bridges

Ghostpoet - Some Say I So I Say Light

Bill Callahan - Dream River

Digable Planets - Blowout Comb

Autechre - Anti EP

Autechre - Garbage EP

Bee Mask - Vaporware

Tomás Dvórak - Machinarium OST